Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Cats - 7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Curious if we'll continue to see the Cholowski experiment. Maybe longer-term it makes sense but there's a lot he needs to learn re: basic defensive intensity and smarts. If others can be scratched to watch and learn he should be firmly in that conversation. The rest of the defense had set the bar so high that it's glaring for him to not attempt to set a similar tone. Their most valuable addition this season has been Fehervary and it's not close. The skating and confidence from a rookie defender is pretty special. He's gone cold offensively the past couple weeks but he's quickly become a staple. I wonder if Irwin couldn't provide a more robust simplified defensive game, even if it means less up-ice pressure or possession. There are some skilled elements to Cholowski's game but if the fundamentals aren't there it's at best a work-in-progress. I don't know that Johansen wouldn't be fundamentally just as strong, if not better with a couple games. It at least deserves some scrutiny. For a guy looking to make a mark on a fairly good team, again, the tone has been suspect IMO.

Cholowski didn't see the ice again after his third period penalty. If the leash is short for guys up front it should be much shorter for this sort of defenseman. The defense has been the engine driving them all season (along with the top line). An off night for the top line and guys figuring it was over delivers a welcome reset. They can't just show up and close against high-end teams. Lineup tinkering up front is whatever. It begins and ends with the blueline being sorted and this player has been underwhelming. It's a high bar and there have been some flashes here and there but I'm not sure they can afford intensity and/or focus issues in a defender when they have the luxury of being able to experiment with alternatives. The coaching staff has been solid in their tinkering and this spot probably should be next.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Catching up on video.

Second FLA goal was lazinesss. 5 Caps coasting and caught collapsing after puck watching, possibly late in a shift but still. Bad skater play leaving a man wide open.

3rd goal was also bad teamwork and a bit of a softie by Sammy. I've seen experts here criticize VV for going down too early but Sammy was down before the shot and STILL gave up a leaky 5 hole goal with almost no lateral movement. Bad goal and he knew it. But it all started because Carlson entered the zone and for some reason skated to Kuzy's spot after dishing it to him instead of peeling off to his spot. This congested the area around Kuzy and allowed a double team, which he tried to skate through. The PKer at the top of the formation saw this and broke off. Ovie was not paying attention on the weak side and was coasting toward his turret position, with Carlson out of the play.

Still watching the rest, for some reason.

Reactions: Neil Racki

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
4th goal is just a PPG for FLA. Nothing unusual imo.

5th goal is buttery soft. A wrister from the dot short side, clear sight line, plenty of time to set up...I've seen VV pilloried for less regarding positioning, going down early, etc. Sammy has to cover that gap better.

That said he's part of the team and it seems to be a team collapse. Team game. They blew it.

Let that be a lesson to never just coast and assume the opposition is going to give up, regardless of the lead. Pour it on.

Next.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Is Cholo supposed to have offensive upside? Because he got some PP2 time, and I have seen zero flashes of offensive competency from that guy so far.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Curious if we'll continue to see the Cholowski experiment. Maybe longer-term it makes sense but there's a lot he needs to learn re: basic defensive intensity and smarts. If others can be scratched to watch and learn he should be firmly in that conversation. The rest of the defense had set the bar so high that it's glaring for him to not attempt to set a similar tone. Their most valuable addition this season has been Fehervary and it's not close. The skating and confidence from a rookie defender is pretty special. He's gone cold offensively the past couple weeks but he's quickly become a staple. I wonder if Irwin couldn't provide a more robust simplified defensive game, even if it means less up-ice pressure or possession. There are some skilled elements to Cholowski's game but if the fundamentals aren't there it's at best a work-in-progress. I don't know that Johansen wouldn't be fundamentally just as strong, if not better with a couple games. It at least deserves some scrutiny. For a guy looking to make a mark on a fairly good team, again, the tone has been suspect IMO.

Cholowski didn't see the ice again after his third period penalty. If the leash is short for guys up front it should be much shorter for this sort of defenseman. The defense has been the engine driving them all season (along with the top line). An off night for the top line and guys figuring it was over delivers a welcome reset. They can't just show up and close against high-end teams. Lineup tinkering up front is whatever. It begins and ends with the blueline being sorted and this player has been underwhelming. It's a high bar and there have been some flashes here and there but I'm not sure they can afford intensity and/or focus issues in a defender when they have the luxury of being able to experiment with alternatives. The coaching staff has been solid in their tinkering and this spot probably should be next.
LuJo has quietly put together a decent season for Hershey. It wouldn’t hurt Washington to finally see if there’s something there before ultimately deciding to cut bait on the player.

The other option is Kempny. I don’t know their salary cap situation off the top of my head, but I’m assuming they could fit his salary even with Backstrom returning soon and Mantha on LTIR.

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Cholo’s lack of intensity is alarming when he is on his third team and fighting for the last spot. He’s not talented enough to just coast around. Bring up a hungrier AHL guy.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
4th goal is just a PPG for FLA. Nothing unusual imo.

5th goal is buttery soft. A wrister from the dot short side, clear sight line, plenty of time to set up...I've seen VV pilloried for less regarding positioning, going down early, etc. Sammy has to cover that gap better.

That said he's part of the team and it seems to be a team collapse. Team game. They blew it.

Let that be a lesson to never just coast and assume the opposition is going to give up, regardless of the lead. Pour it on.

Next.

yep, I knew that he would be easily forgiven because of the 3rd period onslaught…..

Vanny would be crucified….

you’re only as good as your last save….

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It's just one putrid game (and only one putrid period at that) out of many good ones. Just use it as a teaching lesson and move on. If it keeps happening like it did in the Reirden years, then yeah... it's a problem. Otherwise, lesson learned. Get some egos in check.

Hopefully.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, you never say a coach is "happy" for a loss like that, but this presents him a golden opportunity to say, "You boys might have gotten the idea over the last few weeks that your shit don't stink. Well... it does."

Games like this at the end of a hot streak often usher in a cold snap. Maybe this game is a 5 game losing streak unto itself but I think its very possible that they are derailed for a little while

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
even with possession it’s slow and lifeless.

Its pretty obvious why its slow. Last night was a good example. The pk is playing 4 on 4 and letting Kuzy do whatever he wants. He has the entire right wings circle open and is being challenge to so score. Protas being almost no threat to score allows them to pack in tighter. Kuzy and Backstrom with Oshie as a shooting option is a much bigger threat than Kuzy and Protas or McMichael or Mantha or Sheary and Wilson. Its just a fact. Teams are just not going to let Ov shoot nor Carlson. They will let Kuzy shoot all day.

What I think is happening and would like to see some pp practice to confirm this, is that they are considering moving Orlov into the Protas spot. That allows him to rotate up and shoot from that open right wing circle. They are using him on the half wall on pp2 for his shooting. They wont put him in Kuzy's role and need to work out if he can play from the corner.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Games like this at the end of a hot streak often usher in a cold snap. Maybe this game is a 5 game losing streak unto itself but I think its very possible that they are derailed for a little while

This is generally true but we're up against Chicago next. No reason to lose that game, they're one of the worst teams in the league.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad