GDT: Caps v Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The hockey IQ on this team is... not good. Kuznetsov lazily going off when we don’t have control. Wilson and Orlov collectively not covering anyone. It was a simple pass right up the middle and they were all woefully out of position.

I thought the fire Rierden stuff was a bit over the top but it has to be considered at this point.

Considering is why we are now in this situation. Because Bmac and the owner couldn't make the hard f***ing decision when they needed to.

Reactions: DanTHEMan71

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Listen to Todd speak after this game. He literally doesn’t know what to do.
I mean he’s right

i don’t know how to get veteran hockey players to stop making mistakes that intramural floor hockey players wouldn’t dare make

He needs to go but there really isn’t an answer right now. The players have to stop f***ing sucking

Reactions: traparatus

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
At the same time, I was sold on Dillon. Now I am looking for my receipt to consider a return on that buy

Do you think it's a coincidence that every single defenseman on this team is playing like crap right now regardless of who is rotated in, and two of these guys (Dillon and Gudas) were playing well for other teams in the past year?

Seems to me it's on the coaching staff.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He’s literally said out of his own mouth that he doesn’t give his all every night.

it’s the story of his career. His plateau has really hurt the long term prospects of the franchise
Absolutely not, to well.....everything you’re saying.

I couldn’t care less what he does when we’re solidly in PO position. If he cleans himself up when we have a clean slate all is forgiven.

But it’s not the Coaching Staff that should be called on to reign him in; it’s the Russians. Orlov, My Dude (my hero, if you know, you know), even Kovalchuk (now) need to say; “come on guy, let’s go out there and kick ass, break arms, and drive trucks.” No more Cinderella trying on new shoes.

I really miss Jason Chimera, Brooks Orpik, and Jay Beagle right now, anyone else?

Reactions: Monsterrain

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He is right. You cant keep benching guys this late in the season. That telestrator of Kuzy bailing out. That's embarrassing. In the playoffs they hit more. Not less. If you don't want to get hit, retire. Lets go back to our preseason conversation about Kuzy. This is no better than last season's Kuzy. This is the player that he is now

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Reirdon made a good point actually towards end.

he has played a lot of hockey and coached a lot of hockey for decades.

The teams that end up "winning" are teams that go through bad patches. He said he has been on and been part of teams where they don't really have slumps or adversity and those teams end up not winning in the end.

He also said it's up to the players. He's trying to bench people but also do what works best. He said Kuzy is the teams best 3v3 player - but Kuzy also got benched. He's trying everything.

The part I liked was when he said "we have guys here who have never won a playoff series. Not everyone here is a Cup winner. You cannot and will not win if you keep taking penalties".

From what I'm hearing is he's relying on the players to figure this out right now. He's not going to do anythign too crazy - but he's saying it's up to players to figure this out b/c it's really bad and in his words "not fun at all right now".

Reactions: max21

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I couldn’t care less what he does when we’re solidly in PO position. If he cleans himself up when we have a clean slate all is forgiven.

But it’s not the Coaching Staff that should be called on to reign him in; it’s the Russians. Orlov, My Dude (my hero, if you know, you know), even Kovalchuk (now) need to say; “come on guy, let’s go out there and kick ass, break arms, and drive trucks.” No more Cinderella trying on new shoes.

I really miss Jason Chimera, Brooks Orpik, and Jay Beagle right now, anyone else?

Yea, they miss Orpik, but the team is in trouble and Kuzy is doing this

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Lol what is he saying?
He started saying they deserve a lot of credit and did a great job getting the tying goal. lol. Then he started getting pretty honest and straight up. Overall you can kinda see he knows what is going on, is trying to hold players accountable, but also needs to rely on his top players playing like top players and he needs them to figure it out. So basically he's not going to scratch any of our top players. It's going to be up to them to figure it out b/c Reirdon isn't really going to change much. That's the vibe I got at least.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He can't outright bench players but he can go with the hot hands and has refused. Shrug.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He is right. You cant keep benching guys this late in the season. That telestrator of Kuzy bailing out. That's embarrassing. In the playoffs they hit more. Not less. If you don't want to get hit, retire. Lets go back to our preseason conversation about Kuzy. This is no better than last season's Kuzy. This is the player that he is now
Are we in danger of missing the POs because we lost tonight? If we are I’ll worry about Kuzy not giving his 110. Otherwise I’ll expect someone in the room to pull him up by his collar and tell him to man up.

Garnett Hathaway is my favorite player on this team, on this night. After the Flyers game Tom Wilson is my favorite player over the past month (spoiler he was already 2nd for the season and that’s before the season started). OV8 still does what he does. We really miss Matt Niskanen right now on our side of the blue line. The D isn’t great but when the Fs play Defense like they have been since the AS Break there’s not much to settle but the cryin.

Reactions: Hoalexckey

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland

Definitely miss beags. Great at faceoffs and a hell of dude.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yea, they miss Orpik, but the team is in trouble and Kuzy is doing this
Again, The GR8 and 19 have done their share of coasting in the RS before so let’s not pretend the Caps can’t survive that.
Kuznetsov himself needs to take it upon himself to be better and I have faith that when crunch time comes he’s still the guy I want with the breakaway against Matt Murray.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Again, The GR8 and 19 have done their share of coasting in the RS before so let’s not pretend the Caps can’t survive that.
Kuznetsov himself needs to take it upon himself to be better and I have faith that when crunch time comes he’s still the guy I want with the breakaway against Matt Murray.

Define this coasting you are talking about? If they are coasting they are still producing at career norms. 3 goals in the last 22 games. That's not coasting. That's mailing it in.

Reactions: Heath

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
He started saying they deserve a lot of credit and did a great job getting the tying goal. lol. Then he started getting pretty honest and straight up. Overall you can kinda see he knows what is going on, is trying to hold players accountable, but also needs to rely on his top players playing like top players and he needs them to figure it out. So basically he's not going to scratch any of our top players. It's going to be up to them to figure it out b/c Reirdon isn't really going to change much. That's the vibe I got at least.
None of the crappy play is in a vacuum. The non-Kuzy players aren’t saying “eh, I don’t care”. I’m seeing guys look defensively confused, I’m seeing guys lacking confidence as they skate back into their d-zone practically inviting opponents to enter. In other words while it is on the players it stems from things coaching related. If they trust the system and work well as a unit standing up opponents at the blue line becomes easier. The passes in our d-zone become quicker and crisper. The frustration lessens and the penalties decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad