Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2022-23 Season Part 2: Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Screenshot_20220924-094416.png

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't really like the 8-92-39 line. Both Ovechkin and Mantha like to be the finisher on their lines, neither of them are great as the initial forechecker or puck retriever. Both play too passively in the offensive zone when the puck isn't on their stick. Nor is that line either fast enough in transition or creative enough with the puck to be a transition-line or keep-away-puck-possession line. Either of them can be part of highly successful lines, but unless Mantha is willing to change his game to be more of a mucker in the corners and a forechecker, I'm skeptical they can succeed together.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The playoff streak will end

The Capitals have made the playoffs for eight straight seasons. They've posted a regular-season points percentage of .610 or better during that stretch. They added Darcy Kuemper, fresh off a Stanley Cup win, to improve their goaltending, which was their weak link last season. They made moves to reduce the impact of Nicklas Backstrom's injury loss, and should get the injured Tom Wilson back by December.

And yet ... I think this is the season they fall slightly short. The division and the conference will be more competitive. Father Time stalks the team. This feels like a last-week-of-the-season-stumble before an offseason of significant change: The Caps have 11 players under contract for 2023-24.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
While CBJ/NJD/NYI should be better and PHI will be interesting for the Torts meltdowns there was a 16 point gap between the Caps and NYI. Sizable. There's potential for conference upstarts to make it a lot more interesting compared to last year's massive gap between the top 8 and everyone else. There should be more parity given how few Eastern playoff teams improved. But I'm still not sure it changes much. OTT/NJD/BUF are in ascent but will they have the maturity to put it together consistently? Will their younger players start to take over?

Barring a rash of injuries I think they'll be fine. Otherwise there's little excuse for MacLellan not to be fairly aggressive in making sure they maintain their place.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

The playoff streak will end

The Capitals have made the playoffs for eight straight seasons. They've posted a regular-season points percentage of .610 or better during that stretch. They added Darcy Kuemper, fresh off a Stanley Cup win, to improve their goaltending, which was their weak link last season. They made moves to reduce the impact of Nicklas Backstrom's injury loss, and should get the injured Tom Wilson back by December.

And yet ... I think this is the season they fall slightly short. The division and the conference will be more competitive. Father Time stalks the team. This feels like a last-week-of-the-season-stumble before an offseason of significant change: The Caps have 11 players under contract for 2023-24.
bs

I've seen Kuzy from camp photos and videos - I feel he's mentally ready to rumble. playoffs easily.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it's a fake tweet. Weekes would have eventually tweeted it if he had that sort of scoop.

Reactions: twabby
Sep 19, 2008
vrddt4jim1q91.jpg

Thought they weren't going to put the ads on retail team store jerseys. Oh well. I still think the outrage is overblown though.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
The real way to fight back is never patronize any business that puts an ad on a jersey. And, better yet, let them know.

I can't think of an ad campaign where it is just fine to get a percentage of your target audience will hate you for it. Regardless what the shills for jersey ads say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad