GDT: Caps @ Preds | 2/15/22 | 8:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Caps stole this one. Nashville controlled play for most of the game, but the Preds hit about 15 posts. So many posts that the refs even tried to give them one of them. I don't think there's a "10 free posts, get 1 free goal" punch card, but I may be wrong.

Lucky to come away with the win but I'm glad the team caught all the breaks tonight. Hopefully this is the start of a winning streak. One key positive difference I saw tonight was the creativity. First two goals came on highly creative passes, which is what the Caps are known for.

Fred22406Capsfan

Jan 19, 2020
Him and Jose Jalapeno
iu

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Imagine using the word ‘awful’ after Sammy his performance tonight.

Both top lines (F and D) continued their struggle.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

Sammy definitely struggled. The Preds beat him several times, but he got bailed out by the post repeatedly.

Fun game to watch. Nice to see CMM get a few good chances, but it's a shame he couldn't finish.

And hey, any game where #8 gets 2 gives me the warm and fuzzies.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Imagine watching sammy get beat multiple times, end up out of the net every other rush only to get bailed out by the post and thinking his performance was anything but `awful`

I saw a puck hit the right goal post once, the left goal post twice.. and hit ovechkin square on the back (on a wide open net). (i'm sure there were more).

if not for the goalpost, we'd have lost 5-3 or 5-4. We still need a goaltender and our faster players back in the top 6.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Sammy was definitely a little lucky last night.

I think the team played much better last night. Relative to how they have been playing of course. I saw some glimpses of how they played early in the season. They're no where near where they need to he but let's see if they can build from this.

Also the Kuzy line is so out of sync.

Reactions: Drakon

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Looked like Swimmin Sammy was a drunken fish trying to get back into the sea, but the waves kept pushing him closer to the beach bar. Does not instill any confidence on future Ws.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I actually thought he looked much more in control last night but whatever, if any, work that Murray is doing with him on recovery / 2nd chance drills isn’t working. He’s way too big and athletic to be flailing around aimlessly. If he could harness that athleticism into productive movement he’d be a totally different goaltender, and the thing about it is those types of things are relatively easy fixes for competent goaltending coaches.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Nice to Sammy with a good performance. Caps were due some puck luck with those posts. Still think there is some too aggressive D pinching in the O zone and bad forechecking decisions that allow the other team to really build up speed through the neutral zone when it would be better to try and force a turn over in the neutral zone rather than see forecheckers easily passed around coming out of the zone.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Nice to Sammy with a good performance. Caps were due some puck luck with those posts. Still think there is some too aggressive D pinching in the O zone and bad forechecking decisions that allow the other team to really build up speed through the neutral zone when it would be better to try and force a turn over in the neutral zone rather than see forecheckers easily passed around coming out of the zone.

Yep. They are getting caught out waaaay too often.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
The pinching d wouldn't seem so out-of-place if doing so wasn't so risky, but why is it risky? The Cap's success in converting those pinches into scoring opportunities (even if unsuccessful) seems low vs. how often the opposition gets its own scoring opportunity through an odd-man break. I'm not sure how much it's pinching in the 'wrong' situations, or forwards not cycling into an open slot when a pinch happens, or forwards not covering for the pinching d. Other teams seem to have cycling patterns that put players in locations that offer prime shooting opportunities. For the Caps, not so much. It's not just the pinch that's a problem, it's what the other guys on the ice do when a d is pinching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad