GDT: Caps @ Preds | 2/15/22 | 8:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The pinching d wouldn't seem so out-of-place if doing so wasn't so risky, but why is it risky? The Cap's success in converting those pinches into scoring opportunities (even if unsuccessful) seems low vs. how often the opposition gets its own scoring opportunity through an odd-man break. I'm not sure how much it's pinching in the 'wrong' situations, or forwards not cycling into an open slot when a pinch happens, or forwards not covering for the pinching d. Other teams seem to have cycling patterns that put players in locations that offer prime shooting opportunities. For the Caps, not so much. It's not just the pinch that's a problem, it's what the other guys on the ice do when a d is pinching.

Bolded I do agree with this just should of elaborated. I just recall a lot of goals this season due to having D pinch and a F covering but then getting scored on. I get trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone but what I'm not seeing is the back pressure. I know its bad to compare playoff hockey to regular season but look at games during the Stanley Cup run the caps had amazing back pressure that in the neutral zone that also caused/created turnovers that allowed for some rewinds into the opponents that even if they were not odd man still allowed for more prime shot territory.

I'm not a hockey x/o guy but maybe I'm seeing F2 in no mans land way too much letting these wide open speedy transitions by the opposing team through the neutral zone. I guess what I want to see is more back pressure in the neutral zone that helps out the D and slow down transitions. Not talking like a classic Devils trap system but at this point our goalies can't really win games on their own maybe have more balance between forcing turnovers in the offensive zone and forcing turnovers in the neutral zone.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad