Caps lack of consistency

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
A moment of calm. The Capitals in general and Holtby in particular play very poorly on rest. They do their best when playing every other night. Please look back at the last 10 games on the schedule. Since Jan. 1 the Caps have had 1 period of 4 days without a game and 2 periods of 5 days without a game. They have barely played any games. I would point a big finger at that.

Caps play their bet in the regular season. Come playoffs its choke time

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I know, I know...

It's still early and they're top of the metro with 65 points but as of late their play has been on the decline. Without Ovi tearing it up, I don't even think the Caps would sit in a wild card spot at this point.

Before yesterdays game, the Caps gave up the first goal in 9 straight games. We seem to come out each period flat, and I'm not seeing progression out of the players I hoped we would (Burakovsky, Bowey). I don't know if recent failures can be attributed to a lack of motivation or even Trotz not adjusting the game plan on the fly. I STRONGLY believe this current roster is not a cup contender.

Do others see it as panic time in DC? What needs to be addressed to fix our current failures? It's quite obvious to me; Orpik/Bowey are bad and we get burnt in front of Holtby/Grubi constantly. I just wanted to get others takes on what you think the Caps need to succeed.
At least someone sees their inconsistency.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
A moment of calm. The Capitals in general and Holtby in particular play very poorly on rest. They do their best when playing every other night. Please look back at the last 10 games on the schedule. Since Jan. 1 the Caps have had 1 period of 4 days without a game and 2 periods of 5 days without a game. They have barely played any games. I would point a big finger at that.

That's true but it's a big problem. You could have 4 days without a game in the playoffs.

Why are the Caps so especially bad with rest? Do other teams have this same pattern? If no, what is the difference?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's true but it's a big problem. You could have 4 days without a game in the playoffs.

Why are the Caps so especially bad with rest? Do other teams have this same pattern? If no, what is the difference?

IIRC teams last season were very unhappy with the bye week. Most teams got killed when they returned to play. Hockey for many teams is a passing rhythm. Teams with 5 days off get beat by teams that have been playing.

As for the playoffs. That would require the Caps to sweep a round.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If they can avoid Pittsburgh i think they'll do fine and could make a serious run. Mental hangup with the pens for some reason - they own teams like Boston and Tampa.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Didn't everybody? As to the question, don't think the Caps have been unusually inconsistent. Streaks happen. If you're going to give yourself ulcers at least wait until the playoffs!

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad