Caps lack of consistency

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
I know, I know...

It's still early and they're top of the metro with 65 points but as of late their play has been on the decline. Without Ovi tearing it up, I don't even think the Caps would sit in a wild card spot at this point.

Before yesterdays game, the Caps gave up the first goal in 9 straight games. We seem to come out each period flat, and I'm not seeing progression out of the players I hoped we would (Burakovsky, Bowey). I don't know if recent failures can be attributed to a lack of motivation or even Trotz not adjusting the game plan on the fly. I STRONGLY believe this current roster is not a cup contender.

Do others see it as panic time in DC? What needs to be addressed to fix our current failures? It's quite obvious to me; Orpik/Bowey are bad and we get burnt in front of Holtby/Grubi constantly. I just wanted to get others takes on what you think the Caps need to succeed.

Reactions: burlivo

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
it's hard to be consistent. especially in the hard cap era with the parity. they are fine.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
As a Caps fan, I have no doubt we will make the playoffs.

I also have no illusions that we can beat a good team in a 7 game series.

This team is one and done. There is no TDL fix for this, best not try. Trotz is done this Summer, and all solutions should be on the table, including moving Backstrom and Holtby.

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
Good lord, it's like none of you Caps fans know how to handle losing a couple games. Chill the **** out, the Caps are a good team.

Guy, I'm fine with the Caps losing games. I understand in order for a team to grow, games need to be lost and hardships must be overcome. This isn't a bitch thread about how sad I am that the Caps are not winning every game in the regular season. This is a thread to discuss what they can do by the TDL to actually make a deep run AND to discuss what the future holds.

If I'm being honest, I don't think a TDL acquisition will make any difference. I would look into Trading Burakovsky for a NHL caliber Dman to replace Bowey.

Reactions: burlivo

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
As a Caps fan, I have no doubt we will make the playoffs.

I also have no illusions that we can beat a good team in a 7 game series.

This team is one and done. There is no TDL fix for this, best not try. Trotz is done this Summer, and all solutions should be on the table, including moving Backstrom and Holtby.
Why only moving those 2?
You can also add Ovechkin, Carlson, Orlov, Kuznetsov, Niskanen, Oshie, and the rest of the team. :eyeroll:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I would be open to moving more than Backstrom and Holtby. IMO, those two have played very poorly this season.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
lose 2 games in a row and make a panic thread on the mainboards.

You Caps fans sure are spoiled.

Panic might be a bit too over-dramatic, but this team isn't as good as the current record suggests.

I would be open to moving more than Backstrom and Holtby. IMO, those two have played very poorly this season.

Holtby's play is a direct correlation of the guys in-front of him. A couple of games he stole 2 points from the opposition. While Backstrom is having an off year, it would be tough to find a 1C of his caliber @ $6.7m.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
I know, I know...

It's still early and they're top of the metro with 65 points but as of late their play has been on the decline. Without Ovi tearing it up, I don't even think the Caps would sit in a wild card spot at this point.

Before yesterdays game, the Caps gave up the first goal in 9 straight games. We seem to come out each period flat, and I'm not seeing progression out of the players I hoped we would (Burakovsky, Bowey). I don't know if recent failures can be attributed to a lack of motivation or even Trotz not adjusting the game plan on the fly. I STRONGLY believe this current roster is not a cup contender.

Do others see it as panic time in DC? What needs to be addressed to fix our current failures? It's quite obvious to me; Orpik/Bowey are bad and we get burnt in front of Holtby/Grubi constantly. I just wanted to get others takes on what you think the Caps need to succeed.
It is only panic time when you say it yourself.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
lose 2 games in a row and make a panic thread on the mainboards.

You Caps fans sure are spoiled.

4-4-2 in their last ten but whatever.

Sometimes it's the eye test and not the standings that people are evaluating. Caps could hold a lead in previous years. So many highly paid players aren't contributing as much as they should - Backstrom, Carlson, Niskanen, Oshie. Holtby looks like a disaster.

The only thing keeping the Caps afloat is Ovechkin playing great hockey at both ends of the ice. Without him they're not even in the playoffs.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I've always found it strange when fans of their own team ask on Nationals for a solution regarding their own team.

Caps fans will know best, think Itd be wiser to ask the people who know your team best.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Trade Ovechkin!!!!
Fire Trotz!!!!
Cancel the parade!!!

Am I doing this right???
1. They probably should. He still seems to have gas left in tank so the time to extract value is now, not once he's breaking down. This would be smart asset management, but they won't do it.
2. They probably should as well.
3. Hehe, there is never going to be a parade in Washington with this current core. See #1 above.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A moment of calm. The Capitals in general and Holtby in particular play very poorly on rest. They do their best when playing every other night. Please look back at the last 10 games on the schedule. Since Jan. 1 the Caps have had 1 period of 4 days without a game and 2 periods of 5 days without a game. They have barely played any games. I would point a big finger at that.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I know, I know...

Our dcore is our weakness. Its tough with 2 rookies in the lineup. Boweys game is improving recently. I think he would be better if he was paired with someone other than Orpik. Djoos is fine offensively byt is struggling in the defensive zone. Our veteran dmen are playing like rookies. They have call struggled some defensively. The pairing of Niskanen and Orlov have been terrible the past dozen or so games.
Not sure what to say about our goaltending. It hasnt been great but they haven't had much help in front of them.
Upfront we need the stars not named Ovi to start playing like stars. Can't say anything bad about Ovi this year. He is playing well.
If the Caps make a deal at the deadline they need a shutdown dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad