Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Kings - 10 f'n 30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
That was a playoff-caliber performance from Sammy - and well above the standard of playoff net-minding the Caps have been burdened with since winning the Cup. We can't expect him to play like that every night. But if he can bring the focus and calm he showed last night on a more consistent basis, we'd have to reassess our evaluation of him.

Love the pace and tempo we showed last night - even on a back to back Western roadie. A lot of that is due to the young'uns. Like most young players these days, they don't know another way to play. I feel like we lost to the Canes and Isles in 2019 and 2020 because we couldn't play at the tempo we're at now - no matter how much we wanted to. That, and our goaltending on its best night was average.

I just hope when the vets come back, we can maintain this pace and tempo, because the key to our success right now is playing a quick puck movement 5 man game with hard forechecks and even harder backchecks, board work, and puck battling. The guys coming back need to adapt their play to accommodate that approach. It helps that Ovie and Kuzy are bought in - and it's important that they not drift away from it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
At the risk of backlash.

Caps have 4 goals on the road trip and Carlson has 4 assists.
Carlson was really good last night. He had a few passes that got the team in trouble but he was moving his feet a lot more and was way more effective than he has been. Played a bit more physical it seemed like too and made some nice recoveries.

Nobody here is rooting for him to fail but he has the highest cap hit among defensemen and the third highest cap hit behind 8 and 19 so yeah, he’s going to be under the radar and scrutinized more heavily. Just comes with the territory.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson was really good last night. He had a few passes that got the team in trouble but he was moving his feet a lot more and was way more effective than he has been. Played a bit more physical it seemed like too and made some nice recoveries.

Nobody here is rooting for him to fail but he has the highest cap hit among defensemen and the third highest cap hit behind 8 and 19 so yeah, he’s going to be under the radar and scrutinized more heavily. Just comes with the territory.

He is the lead defenseman with offensive responsibility. His passes are going to be riskier particularly if coached to be aggressive. That means more passes that get the team in trouble. It comes with the territory. He is the top scoring defenseman in the league the last 3 seasons and very likely will be again this season. He earns his check. IMO.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Dowd, Oshie and Eller will be back soon. Leason and Pilon will go back then. Protas and AJF are already playing as much or more than McMichael. I wouldn't lock McMichael in just yet. If both Dowd and Eller are back for the next game I think Protas goes back. If he gets a couple more games he has a chance to unseat McMichael. He is such a load. Also think that AJF has a legit shot to beat McMichael out for the Mantha spot. He is a winger that is used to wing play and his minutes came up fast.

Its just a guess but I think the reason AJF and Protas have come up so fast in TOI is that they are performing the systems and delivering the details quickly and successfully. Things we might not know but the coaches do. AJF looks like and NHL player to me.
AJF displaces Hagelin. I would start coming to terms with this.

Reactions: Hivemind

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Carlson has definitely seen an uptick in play recently, and it's not just because of the points. He and Fehervary are driving play better than they were to start the season. He deserves praise for the past few games of work in particular. It was a savvy play to get the puck to Hathaway, knowing that Quick is susceptible to the extra pass or move since he challenges perhaps too much at times. And Carlson is definitely the best shooter from the blue line, either shooting for the net or shooting for the deflection.

It's fun to watch the defense work these days. They have the 3rd best all-situations goals against per 60, despite only getting slightly above average overall goaltending. In particular it's great watching them break out after the trouble they had with breakouts under Rierden. And despite the protestations of others, they have no trouble protecting the net or their goalies. The poor start on the PK is suddenly now a top 3 net PK unit.

I still think they could use a little more scoring punch, even when healthy, but for now this is a team that is humming along except for the PP. Every loss has been by a single goal, and every win except one has been by multiple goals (though some have been because of ENGs padding the lead). Their record is fair given their performance to date (a 120 point pace), but it's neat to think that they are on this pace despite being 0-5 in overtime and having such a bad record in 1 goal games.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Carlson has definitely seen an uptick in play recently, and it's not just because of the points. He and Fehervary are driving play better than they were to start the season. He deserves praise for the past few games of work in particular. It was a savvy play to get the puck to Hathaway, knowing that Quick is susceptible to the extra pass or move since he challenges perhaps too much at times. And Carlson is definitely the best shooter from the blue line, either shooting for the net or shooting for the deflection.

It's fun to watch the defense work these days. They have the 3rd best all-situations goals against per 60, despite only getting slightly above average overall goaltending. In particular it's great watching them break out after the trouble they had with breakouts under Rierden. And despite the protestations of others, they have no trouble protecting the net or their goalies. The poor start on the PK is suddenly now a top 3 net PK unit.

I still think they could use a little more scoring punch, even when healthy, but for now this is a team that is humming along except for the PP. Every loss has been by a single goal, and every win except one has been by multiple goals (though some have been because of ENGs padding the lead). Their record is fair given their performance to date (a 120 point pace), but it's neat to think that they are on this pace despite being 0-5 in overtime and having such a bad record in 1 goal games.

Agreed in regards to breakouts. We still get stuck sometimes, but all teams do. Under TR it seemed a real struggle, but I feel we are much better. I think partly because we have better puck moving defenseman, and also we seem to be better in synch with where the puck goes once it gets to the wing. I've seen a lot more very quick first and second passes under Lavi, and I think it pays off even if the breakout dies in the neutral zone, its better than behind our net.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s see AJF start shouldering a heavy (and successful) PK load before we start “coming to terms” with anything. I don’t see Hags gone before the end of this season, but we’ll see.

Reactions: Neil Racki

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Since we are praising the defensemen now. I want to mention Orlov. No wonder why Anahaim and LA commentators are in love with him (btw, it was nice to hear praises from the opposition to someone not named Ovechkin), he is SO smart. Not only breaking up the plays, but immediately transitioning it to our counterattack. LA had long sticks yesterday, interrupting our passes, but not with Orlov. With him suddenly their sticks became short and he smoothly walking pass them from our D-zone. Him and Jensen are work of beauty. No panic in their games at all. Everything is top notch.

p.s. about Samsonov. He was spectacular yesterday, but not to piss on the parade. Do you think that LA payed right up to his alley? He covered the low zone well and was always on his knees and LA refused to shoot above. It'll be interesting to see how he does against a team with shooters picking the corners.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The number of stupid penalties are way down for the Caps this year. It's so nice to see, now if they work on not getting so many offside calls.
The offsides might be by design. I’ve noticed recently how many of our goals were right on the blue line entering the zone for a close offside call or not.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If Sammie does show up each start like he did last night, we're in top contender category. I don't care what stats, media pundits, ore anyone else says. The team is coming together through adversity and not making excuses. No more, "It is what it is." statements. Now, what I'm more concerned about is the damn Olympic break. That to me broke us in 2010, even though we didn't have no defense at all then. Of course the PP needs lots of help, but my guess is with the coaching staff is it will figure itself out. There is a lot to be excited about this year, unlike the past few.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Next season probably.

No doubt about it. Right now Hagelin is an expensive utility player who can do his duties while being a luxury not needed anymore. We will have to see more games with Hagelin out to see if the PK takes a dip.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If Sammie does show up each start like he did last night, we're in top contender category. I don't care what stats, media pundits, ore anyone else says. The team is coming together through adversity and not making excuses. No more, "It is what it is." statements. Now, what I'm more concerned about is the damn Olympic break. That to me broke us in 2010, even though we didn't have no defense at all then. Of course the PP needs lots of help, but my guess is with the coaching staff is it will figure itself out. There is a lot to be excited about this year, unlike the past few.

Kind of crazy that the NHL is having both All Star game and Olympics this year. Hopefully there will be no mandatory suspensions for a certain player for skipping out on the All Star game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If Sammie does show up each start like he did last night, we're in top contender category.
I mean, any team receiving that level of goaltending is a contender. The issue is that nobody gets that level of goaltending each and every night. When you get that goalie hot streak at the right moment you see teams like the Canadiens last season behind Price, the 2010 Canadiens with Halak, and the 2003 Ducks behind JS Giguere that go deep in the playoffs with a mediocre roster. Expecting that level of Conn Smythe goaltending on a nightly basis isn't realistic, though.

The Flyers (Hart) and Rangers (Shesterkin) are hanging around because of good goaltending from their young starters. Let's hope that Samsonov can at least stay in the conversation with those two, and then we can let the better overall skater roster do the rest.

Reactions: 895

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The number of stupid penalties are way down for the Caps this year. It's so nice to see, now if they work on not getting so many offside calls.

The number os stupid penalties is down because we own the puck so much more this year than last. Its been known since bantams, if you move your feet you draw more penalties. Caps are not reaching, grabbing, slashing at guys whistling around them like turnstyles this year because we're too busy doing that to the opponent. Its a wonderful thing to see.

I think the offside issue is just a byproduct of constant line shuffling and so many kids who haven't played with the regulars for long. Its just obvious when Hathway is 3 feet over the line because the puck carrier (CMM or someone) dekes sideways to try to carry in instead of dumping it, like Hath expects. This will resolve with time, I think/hope.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Forwards with the most TOI in the league:
1. Ovy
2. Kuzy

Just give the 2nd and 3rd line some more icetime! (I don’t want to see more of Hag lol)

Eh, close. TOI/GP they're 3rd and 4th behind Drai and McJesus, at about 21 and a half minutes per game.

Wilson is the next Cap down the list at 31 and as one of their linemates you'd expect that. But that also means almost dozens of other skaters are getting similar chunks of PT.

A lot of it is PP time, too. EV TOI/GP is more sensible for guys like AJF and CMM. Not much difference in minutes in the middle of that pack.

upload_2021-11-18_15-0-13.png

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kind of crazy that the NHL is having both All Star game and Olympics this year. Hopefully there will be no mandatory suspensions for a certain player for skipping out on the All Star game.

Sounds a very much like there might be an olympic boycott by the US which might well come with support from Canada and Europe. So maybe no olympics afterall

Reactions: tenken00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad