GDT: Caps @ Jets - 9/14/13 @ 7 PM - NHL Network

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think people are putting way, way way, too much on a single preaseason game, both positive and negative.

I need to see a lot more from anyone who hasn't proven they can get it done at the NHL level before I am making any kind of judgements about them and that game meant squat IMO for those who have already proven they are NHL players and the teams in general.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think people are putting way, way way, too much on a single preaseason game, both positive and negative.

I need to see a lot more from anyone who hasn't proven they can get it done at the NHL level before I am making any kind of judgements about them and that game meant squat IMO for those who have already proven they are NHL players and the teams in general.

This. Fun exhibition game. Ovie narrowly avoided serious injury. End of story.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not sure that holds for the forwards as well or just the defense. I'm guessing just the D or else the coaching staff wouldn't talk up Wilson so often. There seems to be a bit of a disconnect in that regard with McPhee seeming less bullish on Wilson making the roster while talking up Orlov as a regular. (Of course, McPhee has more factors to keep in mind...)

When it comes to Volpatti and the 13th forward there's also the waiver game to keep in mind. I doubt Wellman outshining Volpatti is enough in itself. He'll need to make them fear losing him on waivers more.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wasn't too happy with Oates words but we all know its mostly true. Outside of 13F Volpatti and the never ending all situation /2 LD Orlov, where is there any competition?

They may love Volpatti or want his toughness. I am not sure anyone competing with those 2 can even fit under our cap.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Galiev looked size ready and i liked his shooting style. keeps his weight and his shoulders forward. difficult to read.

put himself in good positions to make quality scoring chances too. definitely impressed me.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
thought u meant me for a second but then saw lower.

cant say im not rapt that my team is giving an Aussie a crack to be the first one to make it to the NHL.

pretty pumped!

I like what I saw of him. Looked like he had a few scoring chances in the game. I think this would make a nice NHL story if he makes the team or the NHL.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The skill is there but he's clearly not ready imo. He's clearly hesitant in decision making and often looks nervous with the puck. Obviously he's a kid and still has time to improve those aspects, I just don't see him stepping into the NHL with any sucesses at this point.

You have to look at his overall game, yes he made a few good plays but you can't judge a player off that.

Scheifele's been making plays like that at in the OHL & at the worlds all of last season, although he was expected to as a 20 year old with his skill set. Dragged Barrie within a 1/10 of a second to the Memorial Cup off back to back 6 point nights. Put on 30 pounds in the last 2 seasons, 15 over this summer alone with Gary Roberts. He's looked damn good in practice, the prospects camp (where he had 0% offensive starts & was outstanding in a purely defensive role allowing our prospects to show their offensive sides.), at camp & now the pre-season.

Lack of depth at centre pretty much guarantees him the 2nd line centre spot in Wpg. He's practiced & played exclusively with Kane & Setoguchi. Jokinen is destined for a 3rd line duty with Frolik. Only competition for a roster spot Scheifele has is with Eric O'Dell who was on fire in the AHL during the last half of the season, but has yet to be recognized as an NHL level player.

Barring injury or O'Dell, pencil Scheifele into your pool for 40 points minimum with an upside of 50-65. He'll be a candidate for rookie of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad