Post-Game Talk: Caps Isles in Connecticut 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
The whole team looks a lot better than Tuesday. I want to see more from Vrana though.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
That clip of the Sport Junkies are guestimating Alzner's next contract $21.5 mil/ 4 years ($5,375) to $6 mill /year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Only saw the third period, but the team as a whole looked infinitely better than previously. No real surprise.

Barber had some real solid shifts. Hopefully this makes up for his first period gaffes in his first outing.

Stephenson was skating well, really involved in the play.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Only saw the third period, but the team as a whole looked infinitely better than previously. No real surprise.

Barber had some real solid shifts. Hopefully this makes up for his first period gaffes in his first outing.

Stephenson was skating well, really involved in the play.

At least we know Reirden isn't fit to be a head coach.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Both players kept out for precautionary reasons - I don't see either returning to the ice until they're 100%, as we've seen with Wilson being held out.

I was a little disappointed the X-Eller-Williams line didn't do much damage at even strength, but overall there was a lot to like about last night. I thought the defense did a real good job, especially when they were down to 5D, and Schmidt had a very good first preseason game. I haven't seen anything from Bowey in the first two games to leave me thinking he's in genuine contention for the 6/7D position - I can imagine him spending a bit of time up with the Caps this year (even as an 8D if they don't settle on a permanent 14F), but I suspect we might well lose a D during the expansion draft next year (Orly or Schmidt) and that's when Bowey will have a chance to really crack the roster. Another year playing top pairing minutes in Hershey would do him more good than a rough first NHL season on the third pairing or in the press box.

Can't say I've been overwhelmed by Stephenson, Sanford, Boyd or Vrana which is a shame. I have a bad feeling Connelly is going to be interchangeable with Galiev - a lot of skill, but always falling slightly short of actually scoring. Given Galiev's skill and speed, and improved D last season, I wouldn't mind seeing him at 4RW if Wilson's in the top nine. Barber's consistently had some nice looks, though. And signing Ness for another two seasons was a great move.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So Vrana didn't have a good game last night? I didn't get to watch the game.

He is very fast. He had one opportunity late in the first where he blew by the defenders and received a pass from Williams but was too close to the goalie

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

The guy is clearly our most promising prospect, and was in no way bad last night or in his other preseason game. But he doesn't strike me as NHL ready, at least full time.

We arguably have seven legit top-6 players, but only eight legit top-nine forwards if we want three scoring lines. We need someone who can fit into our second or third line and help generate consistent offence, enabling an elite fourth line of Winnik-Beagle-Wilson. The only place I see Sanford or Stephenson fitting in is as 4C, which if nothing else wastes one of Beagle's great talents (faceoffs). Even if we accept Eller is essentially a like-for-like replacement for Chimera in (hopeful) production, that means we haven't upgraded our 3RW. But none of our young forward prospects have jumped out at me as potential difference makers (against weaker goalies and D-men than they'd face as NHL regulars). Rotating the 14th F, as originally suggested, might not be the worlds worst idea.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

He had a pretty average game. Created some chances, had a good chance late in the 1st period, wasn't afraid to shoot on the PP. On the flip side, he was clearly trying to impress the coaching staff and was trying too much several times, which lead to multiple turnovers after he tried to dangle 2-3 guys at the Isles blue-line.

He'll be a good NHL'er, but propably needs little more work and success in Hershey first.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He is very fast. He had one opportunity late in the first where he blew by the defenders and received a pass from Williams but was too close to the goalie

He's fast, but unfortunately not very quick. He has a hard time shaking defenders in the corners especially.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm impressed with how quickly Barry Trotz is able to integrate new players into his system of bashing around the offensive zone without generating any high-quality scoring chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad