Caps Inspired To Make Another Run?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
A lot will depend on what happens with Carlson but there's no reason the Caps shouldn't be one of the top teams in the NHL last year. Only 2 or 3 teams can match their center depth. Holtby looks reborn. Young guys like Vrana and Wilson took huge steps forward.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Depends if they win or lose next year right? If they win, clearly they were more inspired. If they lose, they obviously didn't quite want it enough. Maybe they start out stupidly hot, but fade down the stretch. Which way do they fall there?

The results will fit whichever story fits the results. There's no way to accurately gauge inspiration.

The Kings won in 2012. Lost in in the 3rd round of 2013. Started 2014 down 0-3, and looked fairly horrible doing it. Couldn't beat a bad McDavidless-Oilers team as defending champs in a must win regular season game at the end of 2015. Have 1 playoff win, and an 0-5 home record, since Martinez scored the Cup winner on home ice 4 years ago. Explain the various levels of inspiration in that equation.

Common sense and logic isn't welcome around these parts.

Give me narratives!

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The motivation thing sounds like a lot of excuses.
Motivated probably isn't the right word - hungry maybe? After seeing the caps win what was theirs the previous 2 years, they are going to want it back. I expect a better regular season performance from them this season, as last year there was a serious lack of effort for much of the year.

Either way i'm expecting a fourth straight year of pens-caps in the second round.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
IMHO, it seemed like that one in a lifetime run of runs.

I just don't see them repeating.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Motivated probably isn't the right word - hungry maybe? After seeing the caps win what was theirs the previous 2 years, they are going to want it back. I expect a better regular season performance from them this season, as last year there was a serious lack of effort for much of the year.

Either way i'm expecting a fourth straight year of pens-caps in the second round.

Sure, I guess we'll see.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Are the Caps and Ovechkin likely to be MORE or LESS inspired to win another Cup next year? Are they likely to be as motivated or less to do it all again? This isn't really a 'do they have the team and talent' to do it, it's more a mindset question.

Do they want this bender to ever end? If not, the best way to have another incredible celly is to win it all over again.

I would love to see them win again but I don't see it. They seem to enjoy winning this one so much, that they won't have any energy going to next season. They just won't be hungry enough.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
players yelling BACK TO BACK is lame.... 99.9% of the time it never happens ....... not in real sports anyway, so NBA is excluded
Nba has had more different championship teams than the nhl has had in the last 10 years.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
I think the Caps have a better chance to repeat than if they had lost in round 2-4 this year. I would bet the Pens winning last year with lots of injuries was helped by the confidence they had as defending champs from winning the year before. Your mindset is: you know you can do it with this group, because you have done it the year before. There's no doubt creeping in that your team just don't have what it takes to win the Cup.

It took some amazing play and mental toughness for Washington to overcome their nemesis Pittsburgh this year, and again to win games 6 and 7 against the Bolts (including overcoming their game 7 history).

Conversely, there is something to say for a loss of passion after finally winning something that was your goal for years. But it might not affect the Caps too much . Ovechkin knows he's been compared with Crosby for many years, and Crosby has 3 Cup rings. The Pens had been the standard of excellence by winning the cup in 2016 and 2017 over the President's Trophy Caps. Ovi would love to win back-to-back, since Sid did the same. The Caps probably won't be THE favorite to win next year, but they definitely should be among to top 5 favorites.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
They’re gonna lose Carlson. He’s just gonna command way too much cash.

And don’t get me wrong, I WISH we could keep him, he’s great ... but he’s not the only guy on earth who can serve up one-timers to Ovechkin or bomb from the point given the Caps power play scheme/talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad