Caps Inspired To Make Another Run?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Are the Caps and Ovechkin likely to be MORE or LESS inspired to win another Cup next year? Are they likely to be as motivated or less to do it all again? This isn't really a 'do they have the team and talent' to do it, it's more a mindset question.

Do they want this bender to ever end? If not, the best way to have another incredible celly is to win it all over again.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Depends if they win or lose next year right? If they win, clearly they were more inspired. If they lose, they obviously didn't quite want it enough. Maybe they start out stupidly hot, but fade down the stretch. Which way do they fall there?

The results will fit whichever story fits the results. There's no way to accurately gauge inspiration.

The Kings won in 2012. Lost in in the 3rd round of 2013. Started 2014 down 0-3, and looked fairly horrible doing it. Couldn't beat a bad McDavidless-Oilers team as defending champs in a must win regular season game at the end of 2015. Have 1 playoff win, and an 0-5 home record, since Martinez scored the Cup winner on home ice 4 years ago. Explain the various levels of inspiration in that equation.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Judging from how much Ovechkin and his team love the Cup in their hands my bet is they are going to be as inspired as ever to do it again. Tough to repeat, but they will sure be motivated to try.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
They played a little looser after getting past the second round hurdle this year. Hopefully we see that again after finally getting the cup.

They’ll have one of the best center groups in the league again so I’d pencil them in as a Cup favorite (along with 4/5 other teams).

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Judging by how much fun Ovechkin and company are having right now, I'd say YES, they will be very inspired to win it again and have another party this time next year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Nah they're all just going to retire and call it a career. Leonis will fold the team saying his life dream was to always go out on top.

They'll be as inspired to win another cup as every other team will be to win their first or next. A title isn't some magic elixir that gives you special powers or anything.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I wouldn’t say inspired... but there’s definitely significantly less pressure on them in the future. They no longer have to rely on being underdogs to go deep in the playoffs, I would think.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They're gonna go all in next season and get as many vets as they can possibly get. It's why I won't be surprised if Skinner ends up in Washington.

Dewey Eye

Apr 28, 2014
One major thing stands in their way (aside from the other present normal challenges) - a rested, motivated and re-tooled Pittsburgh Penguin team

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
TJ Oshie looking wasted like no tomorrow ... screaming Back to Back to the fans?? puhahaha right

Keep drinkin Oshie... Its not going to happen

enjoy while it lasts

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
watching Ovie's speech

hell yeah they ready BACK TO BACK BABESSS

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
OV just saw Crosby lift 2 cups in a row. Don't you think he's dying to do it himself ?

Not even a little.

There are not many certainties in this life but I would bet my life savings that the Washington Capitals are not going to win the Stanley Cup next season.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Once the playoffs roll around it doesn't matter if you wont 0 cups or 100. It's more a matter of how much of the team they keep together, hopefully they only lose Grubauer and trade Orpik to a bottom dweller in order to get him back at the deadline @ 50%

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
One major thing stands in their way (aside from the other present normal challenges) - a rested, motivated and re-tooled Pittsburgh Penguin team

Will Letang still be on that team? Washington requests Pittsburgh lock him up for the next 20 years and start him on the top 4 of their defense for all that time.

Reactions: Drakon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad