Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We could still have Schmidt today if we had protected him instead of Johansson/Burakovsky/Wilson. I wouldn't like it if they had picked Wilson but Schmidt was super important to our blue line in the playoffs last year.

GMBM wrongly assumed that they would pick Grubauer.
You think we should have protected 4 dmen? I do as well good dmen are hard to find.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Haven’t had a Finn for a long time. Last one I recall was some 6’4” supposed power forward in the making who never panned out and ended up getting traded to Carolina, IIRC.

Before that was Tikkanen.

I like Finns. Hard working lot who play good defensively, as a rule.

As a finnish caps-fan, ive been missing us some Finns :)

After Tiki missing the one we should never talk about, we have had two Finns.

Oskar Osala played few games, never panned out. Has had a decent career in KHL. Sort of power forward, or maybe more of a fore-checker. Some sort of Eric Fehr comparison could be made i guess. Sami Lepisto, smooth skating skill-first dman, also ended up to be a good KHL-veteran and a regular in Team Finland. They played total of 16 games combined for Caps. Both still active.

EDIT. Almost forgot Boumedienne. Dman. Is marked under Swedish flag in NHL, but he has double nationality and has represented Finland in nationals. He has ended his career by this day. Played 43 games for us. Won couple FEL championships, rounded here and there. And i guess you have to count Miika Elomo too, bust, 2 games up. We did have few Finns in the late 70s, mid 80s, but Throughout history, Caps is there quite close to having one of the least-Finnish franchises :)

We had Jokipakka on a tryout at the camp last year but he didnt do it.

Ikonen was small but promising youngster. Good skater, good hands. But his small, and at this day i think somewhat a ”jack of all trades, master of none” when comparing to NHL level. Havent been able to track the guy for few years and dont really have an idea how good he is today, but someone on the Finnish forum compares him to Torontos Miro Aaltonen, which sounds somewhat right. Will most likely provide some AHL depth, we will see if he has something to offer for the big league but i dont have high hopes there. Fighting for same spots over Gersich and Fjallby, i wouldnt bet on the Finnish horse here.

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Haven’t had a Finn for a long time. Last one I recall was some 6’4” supposed power forward in the making who never panned out and ended up getting traded to Carolina, IIRC.

Before that was Tikkanen.

I like Finns. Hard working lot who play good defensively, as a rule.

Loved Oskar and Lepisto. Never really panned out for them stateside, both made nice careers in the KHL.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bring over Axel the Fjallguy.

As for Finns, they just haven't had a big presence in the league, especially since the KHL started. If you look at the numbers in the last decade or so it's not just the Caps. There weren't a lot of Finns drafted league-wide, even going back before the KHL.

NHL Draft Selections by Birthplace, 1991-2014 | 2015 NHL Draft

That only goes through 2014 but I would guess the last few years there's been more of a surge of Finland's hockey program and it's resulted in a few top stars along with some chance-taking by teams. In 2017 there were 23 Fins drafted which is about the same as the peak in '02 and '03.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Bring over Axel the Fjallguy.

As for Finns, they just haven't had a big presence in the league, especially since the KHL started. If you look at the numbers in the last decade or so it's not just the Caps. There weren't a lot of Finns drafted league-wide, even going back before the KHL.

NHL Draft Selections by Birthplace, 1991-2014 | 2015 NHL Draft

That only goes through 2014 but I would guess the last few years there's been more of a surge of Finland's hockey program and it's resulted in a few top stars along with some chance-taking by teams. In 2017 there were 23 Fins drafted which is about the same as the peak in '02 and '03.

Didnt he sign a few days ago?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Chew on this:

We lost Williams, Winnik, Alzner, Shattenkirk, Johansson, and Schmitt... and we're literally sitting in the same spot that all of those guys got us to.

The youth movement continues to fill the gaps nicely and the "core" continues to burden their load. I would continue to move on from any piece that is not an essential core piece. I'd let Connolly, Beagle, Orpik, Chiasson, and DSP walk when their respective contracts end. Given the teams performance this season would anyone be surprised if the team performed the same sans those four guys? Hardly the same fire power as the last departures. I wouldn't resign anymore veterans or bring anyone else in that isn't a no brain stud, let the vet contracts run out and let these young guys take their spots. We're looking at some pretty interesting bottom 9 players in the next two years.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Which youth players are really filling gaps? Successfully. Wilson is the only difference maker. Stephenson taking a spot. None of Burt, V, Djoos or Bowey are really establishing as nhl players yet.

Reactions: peterthegreat12

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Which youth players are really filling gaps? Successfully. Wilson is the only difference maker. Stephenson taking a spot. None of Burt, V, Djoos or Bowey are really establishing as nhl players yet.

Couldn't be that the coach did a decent job that's for sure...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’d say Stephenson has proven to be a strong defensive forward. His O game is still lacking, but he makes a difference. Djoos isn’t a difference-maker but he’s established at least. Vrana hasn’t gotten a real chance. I get why and that maybe reasonable, but it’s hard to condemn his offensive contribution based on such limited TOI. Bowey’s not at issue right now. Burt has been the big disappointment IMO.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're NHLers. They're just not the quality type of second wave support players that put a team over the top. Maybe Burakovsky can be at his absolute best as we've seen some glimpses of. I think the bigger issue is the utter lack of forward competition internally and how that forced them to sign players like Connolly, DSP and Chiasson. All NHL forwards but there's still something missing up front in terms of quality depth and cohesion. Gersich & AJF will help some but there's some danger in overrating them given the lack of options behind them. Stephenson has been a real solid success story this season. Maybe Pilon or Pinho can help further but they'll need time. I wouldn't mind letting all of the older UFAs walk but there's enough of a gap to target younger UFA depth forwards...just ones that are actually fast and ideally don't have to be signed at the league minimum.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
18 is really the only rookie doing well. Djoos and Vrana are basically holding on for dear life right now under playoff duress. You can see aspects of each’s game that is ready and those that are clearly not. It is what it is....young and developing. Burt is a flat out a disappointment right now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was a Djoubter but in large part because I thought the playoffs would crunch him. Now that hitting is all but gone in the playoffs (thanks Willy Ovi Orpik Oshie and a few other hOOligans), he is exceeding expectations thus far. Again, thought it was wise to feel out the series vs Bus before playing him. I had nightmares with Reaves in this inevitable series.

I really wish Shane would of scored. He probably still cannot believe he had a break in what was almost his first playoff shift. I bet he was on Murray real quick and tried the trusty 5 hole in semi panic mode. I think Murray baited him 5. High glove side all.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Djoos is playing in his first NHL season and is more than holding his own even in the postseason. He’s not being asked to do much but in his limited minutes he has acclimated himself nicely. I certainly don’t see him hanging on for dear life, even if I’d rather not see him in the top 4 over Orlov or Kempny.

Same with Vrana: he’s a rookie and put up decent numbers despite not really being given a legit shot. I don’t see him being a superstar but every indication is he is going to be a solid NHLer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nah sorry...there are glaring holes. They’re definitely doing an admirable job given their deficiencies as young players, but I don’t think those types of contributors unseat the Champs. Obviously I’d love to be wrong.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
18-19-13
8-92-43
65-20-77
gersich-83-Fjallby

9-2
6-74
44-29

Holtby
Samsonov

With our young guys improving, we should have a better roster and be better next year. Windows not closed!

Reactions: RandyHolt

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
To set aside the revelry for a second, do we think this is enough for Trotz to get an extension? I still think he doesn't get one unless he get's past Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad