Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I understand why DSP gets the nod (I just use him to point out the Trotz inconsistencies). I do not understand why Connolly or Chiasson are are considered better fits than Vrana outside of some archaic mindset that your bottom 6 has to be nothing but grinders and completely lack finesse and speed.

My forward lines would be

OV-Kuz-Wilson
Bura-Backstrom-Oshie
Gersich- Eller-Dsp
Stepehenson-Boyd/Beagle/Pinho-Vrana

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Sounds like ovechkin is next to rest

They called it a "maintenance day" for him. I can't see him resting if he can hit 50 goals again. He seemed like it was important to him to hit that number after his comments when he hit 40 goals.

Hate that Vrana is still not given a sweater, even with Ovechkin being out at practice. He'd pair nicely on that first line with Kuzy's speed.

Hope that Jerabek is sitting in favor of Djoos just to give Djoos some game time to keep him fresh. Jerabek has been solid.

I'd actually be in favor of playing Jerabek-Bowey as the third pair to give Orpik rest.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
They called it a "maintenance day" for him. I can't see him resting if he can hit 50 goals again. He seemed like it was important to him to hit that number after his comments when he hit 40 goals.

Hate that Vrana is still not given a sweater, even with Ovechkin being out at practice. He'd pair nicely on that first line with Kuzy's speed.

Hope that Jerabek is sitting in favor of Djoos just to give Djoos some game time to keep him fresh. Jerabek has been solid.

I'd actually be in favor of playing Jerabek-Bowey as the third pair to give Orpik rest.

I think we see him rest tomorrow tbh like oshie but we shall see

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So the Caps could ice a line of 63-64-65 (or 65-64-63), if somebody plays an off-wing.
I'd be surprised if both Pinho and Gersich keep those numbers next year.

It's not uncommon to give rookies numbers in the 50s-60s when they first play and then let them pick new numbers in the fall.

Basically give the rooks the garbage numbers and once they've proven their worth they get a decent numeral.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ovechkin shouldn't play tomorrow if they weren't comfortable getting him in practice today. No reason at all to risk anything, even if he comes to the coaches tomorrow and says he feels 100%. Especially since the game against Nashville means nothing w/r/t first round opponents and the game against New Jersey might.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If Ovie doesn't play tomorrow I am officially worried. He is not a player who has ever needed rest, plus he will get three to four days off before the playoffs.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
There's absolutely no way Ovie didn't get hurt on that play. He was ok to play through which is terrific news, but there's no reason at all (don't talk to me about the Rocket, who cares?) to not him heal as much as possible before the playoffs.

Reactions: twabby

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Except for last year, ovechkin always gets the last couple of games off

Not when he is going for something he doesn't. He would have played the last game against the Ducks two years ago if he hadn't gotten the hat trick against the Blues.

I don't care if he plays or not but it's not like him to sit if he isn't really hurt. Again, if he doesn't play tomorrow something is pretty wrong and an extra three days ain't gonna fix it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I like that he recognizes potential in Gersich, my cynicism reads this as him seeing him replacing Vrana. The irony being that Trotz recognizes the unique (to our team) skills Vrana brings in this statement, but now sees him expendable whilst in the same breath seemingly being dismissive of the fact that DSP hasn't scored since 'Nam.

DSP doesn't score in a millennia and he's "gotten some good chances" and is due. Vrana didn't score for a while and he was scratched. If Vrana is dropped from the lineup for the playoffs I give up on trying to understand Trotz.

I think his presence in the lineup has nothing to do with scoring and is all about physicality and his ability to set the tone early in games in that dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad