Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hard to believe a player who has played center in the NHL for the last 6 years hasn’t had anyone practice face offs with him. I call bullshit.
Said Peca tells him how to do that and shows him video. And he hasnt had help like that before. I dunno. Didnt seem to be a joke honestly.

Also he said he wishes hockey schools in Russia started to employ experienced ex pro players (KHL/NHL level) who will work with centermen on defensive aspects and so on (including faceoffs) from around the age of 15-16. Said it helps a lot (they discussed why there are no good centers in Russia atm).

Reactions: Rayquaza64

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Hard to believe a player who has played center in the NHL for the last 6 years hasn’t had anyone practice face offs with him. I call bullshit.

Well in the past the Caps strategy to win faceoffs was simple: Use Beagle. I remember Dale Hunter showing up to the Caps and worked on FO's with all the centers, and it seemed to help. That was a while ago.

Practicing FO's isn't the same as focused coaching on FOs. Maybe none of the Caps assistants for the past few years ever took FO's, like TR, or Cashman or Arniel? Blane Forsythe obviously never even played hockey before :D

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Said they played video games and watched UFC in one room. No complaints on consequences. When asked about how hard he was hit with corona said they can't discuss that (also cant discuss who was that rat who revealed the story in the first place).

LOL, they call Sammy "Samsa" (a kind of pie with meat in Russian).

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Face Offs can be hard, They are alot of Vet tricks and moves you can learn over the years. I think having a top D center teaching the team how to improved showed its value last game.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Said they played video games and watched UFC in one room. No complaints on consequences. When asked about how hard he was hit with corona said they can't discuss that (also cant discuss who was that rat who revealed the story in the first place).

LOL, they call Sammy "Samsa" (a kind of pie with meat in Russian).
Technically wouldn’t the “rat” be Samsonov? Since he got COVID-19, the league would do contact tracing. That means Sammy has to say he’s been in the same room on the road with the other Russians because the league would ask specific questions.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Technically wouldn’t the “rat” be Samsonov? Since he got COVID-19, the league would do contact tracing. That means Sammy has to say he’s been in the same room on the road with the other Russians because the league would ask specific questions.
I think one of them would say that long time ago, if it was Sammy. But we can only speculate about it.

I dont mind anyway. The better they play (including fancy stats hero Kuzy) the less I remember.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Trying to find a Mike Peca youtube video of his faceoffs (I couldnt) but Damn that guy had some battles w Dracey Tucker... Hated him

I did find this fun clip

Reactions: amjay13

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think one of them would say that long time ago, if it was Sammy. But we can only speculate about it.

I dont mind anyway. The better they play (including fancy stats hero Kuzy) the less I remember.
Basically what I’m saying is that there wouldn’t technically be a rat. The league investigates anyone who gets COVID-19 or goes on the COVID list. As soon as Sammy tested positive they would have asked him who he was around the most and for the most amount of time. They would then ask more specific questions on when and where these interactions happened. Samsonov would have to come clean that they were together in the hotel room to the league. If he wasn’t truthful the whole locker room would have potentially been decimated

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Tired of this discussion.

So started to watch latest Kuzy's interview in Russian, where he said nobody taught him how to win faceoffs until this season.

Update:
Said doesnt want to win Olympics, waiting to retire to spend all his spare time with his kids.
he doesn’t want to win olympics? what

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I disagree, and I think the coach and GM would also disagree! He's paid a lot because there is an expectation that he will help the team win a lot more than an average player will. He's doing that this year.

i admit to being slow but what is the differences between goal differential and plus minus?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Plus Minus doesnt count PP or SH goal are an important stat in context.

Ah...so a guy that gets a lot of pp time but no pk time gets a boost in goal diff while he has to hold his own at even strenth for plus minus? So....a penalty killer is a loser. I get it.

Kuzy has a 0 plus minus and has 3 power play points. Thats it??

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
he got paid a lot because he actually produced....he needs to keep producing.

There is ZERO chance GMBM looks at Kuzy at .55 PPG and thinks that’s a good return on his investment.....ZERO.

It's not ideal but most years here he blew away the investment. Do we go back and retroactively pay him 10 million for the cup season, or just cherry pick the bad ones (in which he's still playing well)? What about the seasons when he was making 3 million playing like a 7 million dollar player?

The discussion makes some sense if he's not producing and playing like shit, but not when he's playing reasonably well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad