Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021-22 Regular Season Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
4A8D09EC-5563-4AA5-B99E-BE3788CC83BB.jpeg

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I might add it's frustrating to watch players sign with rivals like the NYR where it's the most taxed state or close. Sure it's an original six team, but good grief that is horrible location unless you're a fan of living in huge, overcrowded cities and severely inflated taxes, rent, and other things. I can understand UFAs signing with Dallas or both Florida teams.

In the case of Hertl - in the off chance he doesn’t re-sign with SJ, word is NYR (because of course) or BOS (can u blame him wanting to slot in between Hall and Pasta?).

Why would any elite FA want to come here at this point?

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
In the case of Hertl - in the off chance he doesn’t re-sign with SJ, word is NYR (because of course) or BOS (can u blame him wanting to slot in between Hall and Pasta?).

Uh.....so they can play in front of Sammy ?
;)
(sorry, thats all i've got)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Which is another reason why I like acquiring Hertl as a rental: only the team that has his rights can offer an 8-year deal before free agency starts in July.

Supposing Washington does acquire him at the TDL, that gives them a leg up in getting him re-signed if he's a fit going forward. Maybe Hertl would prefer other destinations all things equal, but would he turn down another ~$8 million to play in New York or Boston instead of Washington? Might be worth the risk.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Yeah Caps are not a place where top FA players want to come anymore and that makes me sad. The only way Capitals can compete with other teams is by overpaying, which again is just bad in general and moving forward when the team is already overpaying most of their top 6. It's not looking good.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
8 years, 64 mil for a career .65 PPG guy?

I like Hertl, but come on he had one great season in 18/19 where he still wasn’t a PPG player (74 in 77). He did score 35 that year which made his season eye-catching…..

He’s basically a 35g/60+pt guy…..and will be 29 early (November) in his first year of the new deal.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Which is another reason why I like acquiring Hertl as a rental: only the team that has his rights can offer an 8-year deal before free agency starts in July.

Supposing Washington does acquire him at the TDL, that gives them a leg up in getting him re-signed if he's a fit going forward. Maybe Hertl would prefer other destinations all things equal, but would he turn down another ~$8 million to play in New York or Boston instead of Washington? Might be worth the risk.

I want another top 6 center as much as anyone. But I think it’s time to make peace that Hertl isn’t happening in DC. He won’t waive to come there.

Maybe we can move on to JT Miller?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I remember when Phil Housley was a big UFA dip and didnt' think he would come here. I have no answers why UFAs or why the Caps aren't a favored destination even with prime Ovy years. This is why I was against NHL expansion. Columbus and other teams are in a worse predicament than the Caps with this stuff unless they overpay. I mean this isn't the 70s, 80, or even 90s. The fanbase and media can move on past the original teams. People will argue salary cap era. I don't buy that either. Teams like Boston, NYR, and Toronto are always in on deals.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Caps don't even have the cap space to trade for Fleury. Besides, our $716k goalie has better numbers than a 37 year old $7 million goalie.
I agree but to play devils advocate the playoffs are a completely different animal. That being said, even if they stick with Vanecek...they will need a more reliable goaltender to partner him with.

On another note, the Caps are said to still have interest so they obviously have a way in mind to make the cap work.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Fleury just doesn’t feel right for either side. Maybe Chicago should just extend him, not like they have much else going on in net

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I agree but to play devils advocate the playoffs are a completely different animal. That being said, even if they stick with Vanecek...they will need a more reliable goaltender to partner him with.

On another note, the Caps are said to still have interest so they obviously have a way in mind to make the cap work.
Schultz would have to go, and Samsonov to Chicago for Fleury at 50%.

That would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad