GDT: Caps@Flyers - we still don't like these guys 7:30pm

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the team could use more muscle. Ovi out there getting roughed by little punk ass biotch Rinaldo.... the rest of the caps too afraid and simply don't care to have his back.

I would like to see what would happen if Mitchell did that to Cindy.

Ever since Brashear has left, Ovi has been our defacto heavy. Erskine doesn't get a sweater many or most nights for a long stretch there. It is a flaw of our team.

I have a theory, that players play better when they know they teammates have their back. Call them fearless.

Playing scared on the run, we will not win a cup until we can stand up for ourselves
images

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think the team could use more muscle. Ovi out there getting roughed by little punk ass biotch Rinaldo.... the rest of the caps too afraid and simply don't care to have his back.

Ever since Brashear has left, Ovi has been our defacto heavy. Erskine doesn't get a sweater many or most nights for a long stretch there. It is a flaw of our team.

I have a theory, that players play better when they know they teammates have their back. Call them fearless.

Playing scared on the run, we will not win a cup until we can stand up for ourselves
images

I agree.

Furthermore we don't have many guys who throw the body around. Hendricks, Brouwer, Ovie and Erskine...maybe Beagle and Kundratek. Chimera used to hit. He used to skate well and score too. Maybe he is injured or something...

A good well rounded team should have maybe 3 or 4 players who DON'T hit and the rest of the roster filled with guys who finish checks.

We def need more muscle in the lineup and have guys like Wolski and Crabb who we can do without to insert said muscle. It wouldn't be expensive to get a couple players like that on board either.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Anyone who listens to Milbury is an absolute idiot. This piece of fat never had an intelligent thought in his life.

Sadly this seems to be the theme for many on this board, people focusing on who's saying it rather then what is being said. The discussion then turns on being all about the messenger and not the message.

If you don't like him then he automatically has no credibility.

I'm no fan of Milbury's by any stretch of the imagination, but was his remarks last night without visual support.

Well listening to the NHL Network radio show on the drive in this AM and they played Milbury's clip and the two radio hosts agreed with him. These are radio hosts who make a living out of following the game and having an understanding of it. As a follow up Deni Potvin made his weekly appearance on this radio show and he also agreed saying that the worse thing that happened to Ovechkin was getting the "C" as it became more of a distraction for him. Potvin also made reference to lockeroom comments from the summer (probably means the ones that Ovie said at the conclusion of last season) and said there are problems in that lockeroom.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I agree.

Furthermore we don't have many guys who throw the body around. Hendricks, Brouwer, Ovie and Erskine...maybe Beagle and Kundratek. Chimera used to hit. He used to skate well and score too. Maybe he is injured or something...

A good well rounded team should have maybe 3 or 4 players who DON'T hit and the rest of the roster filled with guys who finish checks.

We def need more muscle in the lineup and have guys like Wolski and Crabb who we can do without to insert said muscle. It wouldn't be expensive to get a couple players like that on board either.

Players may well be afraid to fight Rinaldo straight up. That is fine, he can throw some heat. But the 5 guys on the ice can confront him as a team. All go after him, put him in a headlock, face wash his ass, do not let him beat up a capital, nor touch Ovi. Even if you get a 3rd man in. It's very simple. Everyone stand up for each other. A good old 10 person scrum.

If you don't see things like that happening when their goon roughs our star, its easy for all to see our team lacks a backbone. And it starts with players not willing to put up with the germans bombing pearl harbor.

I don't watch enough games to know but we must be one of the softest/easiest to play against teams in the NHL.

Nights erskine isn't in the lineup, our defense HAS to be the softest. Gotta be. At minimum, tied for softest possible with other pansy sackless squads.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Sadly this seems to be the theme for many on this board, people focusing on who's saying it rather then what is being said. The discussion then turns on being all about the messenger and not the message.

I'm no fan of Milbury's by any stretch of the imagination, but was his remarks last night without visual support.

Well listening to the NHL Network radio show on the drive in this AM and they played Milbury's clip and the two radio hosts agreed with him. These are radio hosts who make a living out of following the game and having an understanding of it. As a follow up Deni Potvin made his weekly appearance on this radio show and he also agreed saying that the worse thing that happened to Ovechkin was getting the "C" as it became more of a distraction for him. Potvin also made reference to lockeroom comments from the summer (probably means the ones that Ovie said at the conclusion of last season) and said there are problems in that lockeroom.

He has no credibility because he's got one of the worst hockey minds in the sport. His tenure as GM provides mountains of evidence to that effect.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
you know his contract goes on for another 8 years right? you wanna be not competitive for another 8 years?
It's not the contract that handcuffs them it's management incapable of growth/self-evaluation and ownership that enables excuse-making.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008

images

Agreed!

I actually had less of a problem with the hit as I did with the lack of response by the team afterwards. It was embarrassing and SOFT. I'm not saying Ovechkin should have fought Rinaldo - because he would have been washed - but, I think that someone should have shown some sort of a pulse after seeing their teammate leave the game injured.

Spare me Matt Hendricks, who would have been the sacrificial lamb again, but rather we need someone in this lineup who will hold others accountable for their actions.

He's a polarizing figure in the NHL, but we need someone on this team like Raffi Torres. A little bat **** crazy. Having a guy like that on our 4th line would be great.

Team toughness has been an issue with this squad for the longest. I'd rather see these guys go down with a fight (yes, pun) than shrug their shoulders after a hard hit late in the game.

It is what it is, and these are our Caps. SMH.

*edit*

And Erskine can throw absolute BOMBS, but he hasn't dropped the mitts with as much regularity since he got his concussion vs. Goddard in Calgary a few years back.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Not trying to sound pessimistic but I'm beginning to lose hope Ovi can get back in form. I mean, he'll still show signs the old Ovi is there (the 4 point game) but then he'll completely dog it for the next two games. That was an atrocious showing by the captain last night. Unenthusiastic. How does a player go from being the best in the world for 3-4 years straight to THIS? I'm trying to think of a player in any sport who's done the same and I can't think of any. This is the elephant in the room right now. What do you do here? Perhaps the guy needs a change in scenery? Oof.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Agree. Our tough guys are Erskine (often scratched defenseman) and Hendricks (punching bag). The rest of the team are just... nice. They don't want to hurt anyone, except for maybe pissed-off Ovechkin. And Ovechkin won't even fight Versteeg.
Actually the entire organization is way too nice. Can you imagine Bylsma blaming his player for getting hit like Perreault? Laviolette? Tortorella? They will stand for their player, even if it's Matt Cooke. Oates - not so much.
A fight really unifies any team. I wish they had a line brawl.

Spare me Matt Hendricks, who would have been the sacrificial lamb again, but rather we need someone in this lineup who will hold others accountable for their actions.
He's a polarizing figure in the NHL, but we need someone on this team like Raffi Torres. A little bat **** crazy. Having a guy like that on our 4th line would be great.
Team toughness has been an issue with this squad for the longest. I'd rather see these guys go down with a fight (yes, pun) than shrug their shoulders after a hard hit late in the game.
Agree again. We need a guy that plays on the edge and who will do whatever he feels like when he sees his teammates harassed. It not only works in the NHL, for example, Artyukhin is probably the most hated player in Europe, but any player loves when he's on team, and no player likes to play against him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Interesting to hear Potvin talking about the C. I am not 100% sold he wants that C on his sweater. Suggesting it removed sure creates a lot of blow back. Its a ****ing letter sown on his sweater, yet carries a career of responsibility, that never ends. Ovi seems more a free spirit to me, than one that doesn't mind being tied down with all the C entails.

I wish we kept Arnott and Ovi say he is a better leader than me, here I want him to have the C some time during the summer. Done. Who would question Ovi is wrong suggesting a respected vet may be a better captain for the team.

I can't see the offseason blow back being any worse than Milbury blasting Ovi on a national broadcast since some people are seeing some truth to it.

Clearly Brouwer wants it, just give it him and lets move on. Have him feel the pressure to fight to spark the team, give 100% on every shift all year, and say what needs to be said in the locker room. He is probably better at those, right?

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Can we get McPhee to teach the players how to be tough and stand up for your teammates?

He hired Hunter, that's it.
I think they used to do that, at least to some extent. Ovechkin would take a run at anyone who touched Semin, for example.
Even DJ King who we brought as an enforcer never played and didn't make any difference :shakehead

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

I'm not a big Milbury fan but if you watch the clip he backs up his comments with video that is pretty eye opening, to say the least.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
He hired Hunter, that's it.
I think they used to do that, at least to some extent. Ovechkin would take a run at anyone who touched Semin, for example.
Even DJ King who we brought as an enforcer never played and didn't make any difference :shakehead

It's not that we need an enforcer, but a complete culture change where guys wouldn't think twice about sticking up for a teammate.

Look at the Flyers. They are LITTERED with guys who would drop the gloves if the time called for it. It's not just guys in the power-forward mold, but finesse guys like Briere and Giroux have dropped the mitts on occasion.

The Penguins are built like this...so are the Bruins. We're just SOFT. It absolutely sickens me to no end.

bonzilla

Aug 3, 2005
Va
Um, let's all remember who we're dealing with here..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/nbc-analyst-mike-milbury-charged-with-assaulting-child?urn=nhl,wp20037

"from the Boston Herald:

Police today said they have charged Milbury with assault and battery on a child, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct in connection with his alleged verbal and physical attack on a 12-year-old boy during a pee-wee exhibition hockey game last Friday night at the town-owned Larz Anderson Rink in Brookline."

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Um, let's all remember who we're dealing with here..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/nbc-analyst-mike-milbury-charged-with-assaulting-child?urn=nhl,wp20037

"from the Boston Herald:

Police today said they have charged Milbury with assault and battery on a child, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct in connection with his alleged verbal and physical attack on a 12-year-old boy during a pee-wee exhibition hockey game last Friday night at the town-owned Larz Anderson Rink in Brookline."

And that means he's wrong about Ovechkin?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I still have hope for Ovi. His decline didn't happen overnight. It was gradual. We haven't seen the spark we saw for a few games leading up to the 4-pointer in a year. Gradual recovery. I do think he should give up the C. Does him no good having that responsibility and he's not good at it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He has no credibility because he's got one of the worst hockey minds in the sport. His tenure as GM provides mountains of evidence to that effect.

So since the words came our of Milbury's mouths, as well as Jones' and McGuire's but whatever, they must be wrong?

I can't stand Milbury but I can't disagree with his comments last night.

Halpysback*

you know his contract goes on for another 8 years right? you wanna be not competitive for another 8 years?

Ovechkin is far and away the biggest reason we're at least as competitive as we are. If you had watched the playoffs this would not be news to you.

bonzilla

Aug 3, 2005
Va
And that means he's wrong about Ovechkin?

It reflects that his judgment and character are highly questionable.. That he is a bully and complete ass by nature. That he is a narcissist, glorifying and overstating his own opinions at the expense of a star player that is not immediately available to defend himself. In short he's a ******* jerk and paid by NBC to be just that.

I choose not to pay attention to anything he says. To you and others - suite yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad