GDT: Caps@Flyers - we still don't like these guys 7:30pm

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Um, let's all remember who we're dealing with here..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/nbc-analyst-mike-milbury-charged-with-assaulting-child?urn=nhl,wp20037

"from the Boston Herald:

Police today said they have charged Milbury with assault and battery on a child, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct in connection with his alleged verbal and physical attack on a 12-year-old boy during a pee-wee exhibition hockey game last Friday night at the town-owned Larz Anderson Rink in Brookline."
Thanks for proving my point about posters too often focusing on the author snd not the content.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
It reflects that his judgment and character are highly questionable.. That he is a bully and complete ass by nature. That he is a narcissist, glorifying and overstating his own opinions at the expense of a star player that is not immediately available to defend himself. In short he's a ******* jerk and paid by NBC to be just that.

I choose not to pay attention to anything he says. To you and others - suite yourself.

I choose to evaluate the truth of statements without regard for who's stating them. Not that Milbury isn't all of those things, but that doesn't mean he's automatically wrong.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
It reflects that his judgment and character are highly questionable.. That he is a bully and complete ass by nature. That he is a narcissist, glorifying and overstating his own opinions at the expense of a star player that is not immediately available to defend himself. In short he's a ******* jerk and paid by NBC to be just that.

I choose not to pay attention to anything he says. To you and others - suite yourself.
I think Adam Oates feels the same way, Deaf, dumb, and blind. :sarcasm:

bonzilla

Aug 3, 2005
Va
I choose to evaluate the truth of statements without regard for who's stating them. Not that Milbury isn't all of those things, but that doesn't mean he's automatically wrong.

A few of the statements he made are true , but this wasn't a balanced commentary it was nothing more than a personal attract and does not deserve an evaluation of his statements - that's all I’m saying..

For example: Questioning OV's manhood because he embellished a trip to draw a penalty. Do you agree with that - that OV isn't a "man"? Do you believe that OV's line change while a goal is being scored substantiates that he's lazy and doesn't care - as was insinuated by Milbury. Maybe Oates call him off, and for sure it's not the first goal scored during a line change – just sayin’.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion CP.

Liberati0n*

Um, let's all remember who we're dealing with here..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/nbc-analyst-mike-milbury-charged-with-assaulting-child?urn=nhl,wp20037

"from the Boston Herald:

Police today said they have charged Milbury with assault and battery on a child, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct in connection with his alleged verbal and physical attack on a 12-year-old boy during a pee-wee exhibition hockey game last Friday night at the town-owned Larz Anderson Rink in Brookline."

Milbury is obviously a complete idiot, but the whole "child assault" thing was so ridiculous. He didn't assault the kid. Under the Pejorative Slured legal definition of that word, sure, but not in reality.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
A few of the statements he made are true , but this wasn't a balanced commentary it was nothing more than a personal attract and does not deserve an evaluation of his statements - that's all I’m saying..

For example: Questioning OV's manhood because he embellished a trip to draw a penalty. Do you agree with that - that OV isn't a "man"? Do you believe that OV's line change while a goal is being scored substantiates that he's lazy and doesn't care - as was insinuated by Milbury. Maybe Oates call him off, and for sure it's not the first goal scored during a line change – just sayin’.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion CP.

Milbury definitely embellished almost as much as Ovechkin did :laugh: He said "Act like a man," which I think is true - he wasn't acting like a man in that moment. The line change business was pretty weak, I thought it was just a normal play - first forward pressures the puck while the others change, then first forward changes.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Those be the perils of zone defense. Wingers (or at least one winger) floats up high to cover the point man, which makes said winger seem like a lazy floating turd any time a goal is scored and he's not providing support down low. The flip side would be for everyone to collapse down low, which means any successful pass to the point gives them a day and a half to tee up a slapshot and you have to have everyone lie down to block it and hope for the best. Ovechkin serves a dual function there - on one hand he's not bad at pressing the pointman (pokes at him, block shots if they get any off, forces the pointman to **** himself and make hasty plays), on the other hand he's also the lightning rod on transition - if you regain possession you want him speeding out of the one for a counterattack.

The real problem was that whoever was covering Giroux (I think one of the D or Ribeiro) let him go egregiously, probably to go help someone else who was getting owned by the guy who had the puck at the time. In Hunter's man to man system that practically never happened.

It would be... if the Caps played zone D: they play more of a man to man.

What you're seeing is the center coming back to help: in hockey (basic)... the center is the 3rd Dman.

Alex is playing high so he can break out quickly. And this is one of the pitfalls of that.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
you know his contract goes on for another 8 years right? you wanna be not competitive for another 8 years?

Thing is... after this season, we go into a division with the Rags, Flyers, & Pens.

The days of easily taking the division will be over.

So, maybe we do deal AO for a hand full of good players and a few picks. Something to think about.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Granted the whole team looked flat from the get go and that weird 1st goal double bounce off Alzner took the wind out of their sails early..but...

Not to single certain players out but I wonder what Crabb brings to the team? What does Wolski bring?

Niether of them hit. They aren't strong on the puck and don't win very many one on one battles. They both don't score. I'd rather have a couple thuggish players inthe lineup instead and go with three line for most of the game.

Chimera hasn't played well all year but he has proven before that he is a very capable player. Not sure whats wrong with him.

But Wolski and Crabb really don't seem to bring much in my mind. Wolski seems to kill every line he is on and Crabb is about as worthless as it gets. Perhaps we aren't using them right or they are not a good fit with our team as structured.

I would hope to see them as healthy scratches when Laich and Marcus come back.

Wolski FEARS any form of contact..he alligator arms every poke check and never competes for loose pucks that he can't fish for with his stick. Crab tries but he just gets stomped on like an ant.

We can get rid of a few of the ushers in my section too... but that won't help us with the root issue.

McPhee had years and years of a very weak SE, and could not get the job done. We are nowhere near winning the cup this season or anytime in the near future.

Next year... we let the sharks into the fish tank: the Pens, Flyers, Devils, and Rags.

We need management that can prepare us for this... and the sooner the better.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Ovechkin is far and away the biggest reason we're at least as competitive as we are. If you had watched the playoffs this would not be news to you.

Bro,

You're correct when you say he is what he is: a guy who'll get you 20-30 goals this year.

But they come in clumps... and he offers nothing defenceively.

Where's the rest of the team?

We're nearly to the point of concluding that Backstrom and Green are not upwardly mobile in their games either: they're not improving.

After these 3, there is a dramatic drop-off in talent.

The Indians have amassed... and we can see em looking over the ridges at us. Next year, we'll be in the pool against the Pens, Rags, Flyers, and Debbies.

Well be fighting just to stay alive.

We need to bring in a real hockey mind to analyze and give this team a total rectum exam... and we need it yesterday.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Milbury is obviously a complete idiot, but the whole "child assault" thing was so ridiculous. He didn't assault the kid. Under the Pejorative Slured legal definition of that word, sure, but not in reality.

.... + 1

the whole kid thing was hooey. Unlike the mooron who tripped the 2 kids the other day.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We can get rid of a few of the ushers in my section too... but that won't help us with the root issue.

McPhee had years and years of a very weak SE, and could not get the job done. We are nowhere near winning the cup this season or anytime in the near future.

Next year... we let the sharks into the fish tank: the Pens, Flyers, Devils, and Rags.

We need management that can prepare us for this... and the sooner the better.

You know you're preaching to the choir right?

We've been saying this for many years now long before the the year long lockout too.

We're stuck with him. Like him or not GMGM is part of the family and will not be disowned anytime soon.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
You know you're preaching to the choir right?

We've been saying this for many years now long before the the year long lockout too.

We're stuck with him. Like him or not GMGM is part of the family and will not be disowned anytime soon.

Okay... point made.

This realignment is scary from a Cap fan perspective, and frankly, if we don't get rid of McPhee soon, there may be no getting rid of him, period.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Thanks for proving my point about posters too often focusing on the author snd not the content.

Can't separate the two. He's a blowhard, and that effects the veracity of any comments he makes. Does Milbury attack good Canadian boys that coast like he does Ovechkin?

mae

Jan 10, 2013

Although I have faith in the great 8, yesterday's "performance" was a complete joke. Gotta side with Milbury on this one lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halpysback*

Bro,

You're correct when you say he is what he is: a guy who'll get you 20-30 goals this year.

But they come in clumps... and he offers nothing defenceively.

Where's the rest of the team?

We're nearly to the point of concluding that Backstrom and Green are not upwardly mobile in their games either: they're not improving.

After these 3, there is a dramatic drop-off in talent.

The Indians have amassed... and we can see em looking over the ridges at us. Next year, we'll be in the pool against the Pens, Rags, Flyers, and Debbies.

Well be fighting just to stay alive.

We need to bring in a real hockey mind to analyze and give this team a total rectum exam... and we need it yesterday.

Right he is on pace for ~34 goals over a full season. That's on a last place-ish team whose multiple flaws have already been endlessly dissected over here, and with a slow start that had people pegging him as one year removed from being Jonathan Cheechoo. Backstrom, in comparison is on pace for a 9 goal season with as many points as Ovechkin.

As far as his defense, he's not an asset but he really isn't the horrid liability people portray him as.

He has yet to have one playoff series where he did not go balls and be our best player. I'll reserve my judgment til that happens.

Milbury's histrionics are an overreaction to one bad game (by the whole team, mind you) after a streak of good games by Ovechkin. The only actually bad thing he did in that montage was the line change on the 4th goal.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Okay... point made.

This realignment is scary from a Cap fan perspective, and frankly, if we don't get rid of McPhee soon, there may be no getting rid of him, period.

I agree with the whole statement and I agree it is pretty scary, but this team needs to face tough opponents again. It may be difficult for most fans to endure, but finally changes might be made. Other than the classic nostalgia, we get to play real hockey teams regularly forcing the Caps to play playoff hockey all year. Personally, I cannot wait to leave the SE division. A few years in the new realignment will finally expose GMGM, imo.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Ovechkin floats way too much, there's no way around it.

It's pitiful to try and defend him. And, yes, he should be embarrassed.

Unfortunately, our coaches can't seem to get through to him and now are stuck trying to figure out if they can at least get his offensive game going. Without that he is a huge liability w an albatross contract.

He's honestly the number one question with this team going forward, and it's honestly not looking great at the moment.

It's the same w McPhee. I think he could do it, but I don't think he will.

I would love for either of those two to surprise me and show me something.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Abe Pollin's major weakness was being unwilling or unable to fire people he was close to, even in the face of protracted dysfunction and incompetence.

It's starting to look like one of Leonsis' traits as well.

FML

Halpysback*

What you're seeing is the center coming back to help: in hockey (basic)... the center is the 3rd Dman.

Alex is playing high so he can break out quickly. And this is one of the pitfalls of that.

I'm not sure where you're seeing man to man, it seems much more zone with man to man breakdowns whenever they zone starts slipping through. PK early on was pure zone for instance.

Much of it is players supposedly being in the right position at the right time relative to the ice, rather than players being in the right position at the right time relative to the puck. That's why you're seeing a ton of backdoor plays and clean shots from the slot/out front as well as other teams getting first to rebounds against us, this wasn't nearly the case last year. The biggest man to man element is Alzner following the puck carrier when battling along the boards but that's about it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

They're not really playing man to man. In a M2M defense, you follow your assigned check no matter where he goes. Watch 4-on-4 hockey, and you'll see players move all over the zone, because that's where their man is. You stick to that guy like glue (barring someone else royally screwing up their coverage, and leaving an odd-man situation or a chance at an open net or something).

The strong-side overload is "zone," but almost every team plays "zone." Unlike other schemes, the strong-side overload only leaves one winger up high (F3 - the weak side winger). F3 is high in the slot, and needs to stay active to protect the high slot and try and break up any cross rink passes or weak side chances. The F3 needs to keep his head on a swivel, his stick on the ice, and be engaged in the play. Ovechkin simply isn't doing any of that. He just kind of stands there like a statue and watches the puck. If the weak side defensemen gets the puck, he does his half-assed, feet together, waist-high stick blocking pose that I don't think has ever actually blocked a shot. The only time he's ever effective there is when he can jump a pass to the wak-side defenseman (which he loves to do, because he can get a scoring chance out of it).

The strong-side winger is typically situated near the half-boards or the tops of the cirlce. He, the center, and the strong-side defenseman are involved in attempting to break up the play and gain possession of the puck. The weak-side defenseman protects the front of the net/low-slot, and tries to prevent the other team from moving the puck behind the net. Ovechkin does a pretty pitiful job at his role as a strong-side winger as well, typically just standing next to the board battle and hoping the puck jumps onto his stick. Sometimes he won't even do that, and still stand in the F3 position, and let the other winger take this role.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad