News: Caps do not Qualify Brett Connolly, Still Negotiating Contract

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
That's kinda weird. If the QO was <900k, why not just qualify him? Am I missing something here?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
That's kinda weird. If the QO was <900k, why not just qualify him? Am I missing something here?

Because he would have been arbitration eligible and could have easily gotten an unreasonable award given his numbers. It happens a few times every year. Devils did it with Devante Smith-Pelley and Beau Bennett and re-signed them last year, Flames tried it with Joe Colborne but he signed with the Avs, Hurricanes did it two years ago with Riley Nash.

He probably gets more than his QO when it's all said and done. The team just doesn't want an unfavorable arbitration award or the threat of one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't understand what the Caps are doing this offseason so far. They need to retain any cheap depth that they can get with the loss of many UFAs plus the big raises to guys like Oshie, Kuznetsov and Burakovsky, yet they're not qualifying Connolly because he's too expensive at below $900k?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really don't understand what the Caps are doing this offseason so far. They need to retain any cheap depth that they can get with the loss of many UFAs plus the big raises to guys like Oshie, Kuznetsov and Burakovsky, yet they're not qualifying Connolly because he's too expensive at below $900k?

See post above yours regarding Connolly's arbitration eligibility

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

he scored 15 goals last year. giving him a qualifying offer means arbitration probably gets him 1.5-2 mil

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
he scored 15 goals last year. giving him a qualifying offer means arbitration probably gets him 1.5-2 mil

But it's either him possibly going to arbitration, where he'd possibly get too much money or losing him as a free agent where you're guaranteed to come away with nothing. If he goes to arbitration and gets too much, you just walk away from him and the same result happens as if you don't qualify him. The difference is that you maintain his rights in July then, plus there's a chance he signs for less than what he'd get in arbitration.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
But it's either him possibly going to arbitration, where he'd possibly get too much money or losing him as a free agent where you're guaranteed to come away with nothing. If he goes to arbitration and gets too much, you just walk away from him and the same result happens as if you don't qualify him. The difference is that you maintain his rights in July then, plus there's a chance he signs for less than what he'd get in arbitration.

Depends on if you view arbitration or the UFA market as more leverage for Connolly. Keep in mind this is a player who came to the Capitals because the Bruins didn't qualify him last year.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I could see Chia being interested in picking him up for the Oil if he makes it to UFA. Chia did pay two 2nds for him a few years back and he'd slot in nicely on the 3RW.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
You can't walk away from an arbitration award if it's below $3.5M, which Connolly's almost certainly would have been.

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
If he wants slightly more than the Capitals want to pay he could be a decent fit for Vegas middle 6. We definitely need scoring depth. Maybe even a sign and trade for a left handed d man?

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
Nate Schmidt. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I have no problem sending back Schmidt but I don't think they would like the price. I know GMGM wants to keep him but if he's the guy u can get a big overpayment for then I think u move him and keep the others. It's not like Schmidt is gonna all the sudden be an all star just cuz he plays on Vegas' top pair. He's a solid top 4 guy and if vegas could get a legit young 19-22 top line projected guy for him it's worth it.
Something around Vrana?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
TSN reporting vegas can send a guy back that they picked but a player traded b4 expansion can't be moved back to original team until Jan 1. They were using Methot as example of vegas being able to return him to Ottawa.

not sure what they were talking about... honestly if it was just one of their hosts these guys make mistakes all the time

but nhl didnt want to compromise integrity of the draft with side deals so they put in a limit vegas cant trade guys back until jan 1st and cant buy guys out for 1 year

wanted to make sure teams werent using vegas to get around the cap

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
not sure what they were talking about... honestly if it was just one of their hosts these guys make mistakes all the time

but nhl didnt want to compromise integrity of the draft with side deals so they put in a limit vegas cant trade guys back until jan 1st and cant buy guys out for 1 year

wanted to make sure teams werent using vegas to get around the cap

It's on their app in a trade idea about Methot. It reports that they have confirmed with Bill Daly today that it is ok to send player back to original team that was selected from in expansion draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad