Post-Game Talk: Caps @ desert dogs 10:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well, I hope it was just a night off from everybody. And at least, they'll be angry and hungry for the next game, an important one.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
everytime we are playing arizona, colorado or vancouver I'm like "we are going to lose at least one of those easy games, no doubt".

I'm wrong so far and expect they prove me wrong again :)

4-1 Caps

:scared:

just move on to the next game

christian dvorak gonna be heck of a player imo

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think our defence has been looking shaky recently, rather than a stagnant offence. We scored 3 goals last night, two games ago Johansson had his first 4-point game, and a number of players have had good opportunities. Getting too cocky or cute, like Beagle did on the PK, and allowing too many 2-on-1 type situations with a D-corps that isn't seeming as good lately is why we're struggling more.

Honestly though, I'm really thinking Schmidt was the best thing to happen to Orpik this season. The Orlov-Niskanen pair is the only one that's really in sync IMO, and I'm not at all convinced by Alzner-Carlson as a shutdown pair. I think we need Nisky back in a shutdown role, which isn't compatible with Orlov.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Losing to a lottery team just in time for April!

they were on a 7-0-1 run. They have lost one game now in regulation. Holtby hasn't been good. Pittsburgh has lost 6 of their last 10. Rangers have lost 7 and are on an 8 game home losing streak. Minnesota has lost 8 of 10.

I worry about Holtby. I worry more about Burakovsky who is working on another goalless streak and Kuzy who is the difference maker.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It was a trap game, if ever there was one. Huge game at CBus in the horizon, lazy habits creeping in as they've played some bad teams recently.

The C-Bus game is all that matter. If they win in regulation, the division will be pretty much over. Even a point keeps them 3 up w 4 to pay (with 2 at home). A 60min loss still leaves them in the lead, albeit more tenuously.

Let's see what they bring. Last true "calling card" game of the regular season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Let's see what they bring. Last true "calling card" game of the regular season.
It's big but the Toronto and Boston games should have value since they're potential WC2 match-ups. The Rangers should always be a team they get up for, albeit on the back-end of a back-to-back and three-in-four I'm going to assume it's similarly ugly.

They need to get their road game in order IMO. They haven't allowed two or fewer on the road since 2/28. Their road GAA for the month of March was over 4. Ridiculous. They were tough trips and more travel than they'd have until a SCF and all but that's really rough for a supposed shutdown type team. They haven't resembled that for some time on the road. Even that 2/28 game was marred by a very sleepy start that could have easily gotten out of hand. The offense has been there to compensate for it but I don't think that's how Trotz would like to draw it up.

They're a very good home team generally but if they can't manage an effectively boring, engaged road game they'll once again find themselves in long, grueling series.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
they were on a 7-0-1 run. They have lost one game now in regulation. Holtby hasn't been good. Pittsburgh has lost 6 of their last 10. Rangers have lost 7 and are on an 8 game home losing streak. Minnesota has lost 8 of 10.

I worry about Holtby. I worry more about Burakovsky who is working on another goalless streak and Kuzy who is the difference maker.

Yea streaks always come to an end, but the 1st place team losing to the 29th team is kind of an unacceptable result. Holtby has just looked straight up lazy and slow as of late to me. My confidence in him is a bit lower as of late.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Remaining schedule:

1. @ Colombus: W (Both teams will be fired up for this one).

2. @Toronto: L (Toronto young, red-hot, still chasing #2 seed, in their barn)

3. vs NYR: W (Rangers have been ice cold lately)

4. @ BOS: W (Caps with a point to make vs their likely first round opponent)

5. vs FLA: L (who cares)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Remaining schedule:

1. @ Colombus: W (Both teams will be fired up for this one).

2. @Toronto: L (Toronto young, red-hot, still chasing #2 seed, in their barn)

3. vs NYR: W (Rangers have been ice cold lately)

4. @ BOS: W (Caps with a point to make vs their likely first round opponent)

5. vs FLA: L (who cares)

That Rangers game is going to be a losers. back to back with international travel. 3rd game in 4 nights. The Rangers play only play Sunday before they see the Caps. I am guessing that will be a Grubby game. It may also be a Schmidt game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn't watch the game. What the hell happened?? :laugh:

Holtby got burned by a rebound with 22 standing there watching after turning the puck over. Otherwise he was beaten on 2 other clean 20ft wrist shots that are usually routine for him. The Caps battled back to 3-2 and then he gave up another clean shot.

The first goal he gave up he didn't even most and he wasn't screened. It was like he froze. weird.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Holtby got burned by a rebound with 22 standing there watching after turning the puck over. Otherwise he was beaten on 2 other clean 20ft wrist shots that are usually routine for him. The Caps battled back to 3-2 and then he gave up another clean shot.

The first goal he gave up he didn't even most and he wasn't screened. It was like he froze. weird.

If it's Holtby then I'm not worried. He has the occasional stinker but he usually rebounds with 10 or 15 strong games.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Holtby will be fine by the playoffs.

I want to see them really flip the switch this time. Win the first round in 4-5 games.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Holtby will be fine by the playoffs.

I want to see them really flip the switch this time. Win the first round in 4-5 games.

Round one, 3 OT games including game 7, it is!!! Just once I'd like to see us not make it hard on ourselves.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
That Rangers game is going to be a losers. back to back with international travel. 3rd game in 4 nights. The Rangers play only play Sunday before they see the Caps. I am guessing that will be a Grubby game. It may also be a Schmidt game.

Well then flip Toronto and NYR. Although NY has really been putrid lately.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Round one, 3 OT games including game 7, it is!!! Just once I'd like to see us not make it hard on ourselves.
That requires foresight and leadership the likes of which we've not really seen. They do not build their game toward the playoffs with a coherent, comprehensive understanding of what it takes. Hence, deja vu all over again mentally. Those that don't learn from mistakes something something.

The schedule hasn't been kind but there's a carelessness in their game that doesn't bode well (fatigue or not). Maybe they wake up and tighten it up but any potential opponent should recognize the soft underbelly they've shown of late. Punch them in the mouth in Game 1 or 2 and see what happens. Their road record of late doesn't suggest a team that can easily brush off a slow start to a series at home. They'll have more juice when it matters but I'm not sure the execution rounds into form quickly enough or that there's enough elevation period for a deep run.

They're a far cry from the peaking team that waxed opponents. Not only is secondary scoring increasingly unimpressive but their general structure seems to get more and more loose. The last five games should be about regaining that structure. It starts with team defense and having some sense of shared timing and engagement.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They haven't played "great" in a few games, against soft opponents. That said, they have given themselves a little cushion in the Metro, out pointing the 2 teams chasing them (and arguably 2 of the top 4 teams overall, including Chicago and themselves). Pens have injuries as their "excuse", C-Bus doesn't.

We will see what happens over the last 5. As long as they get first in Metro, and have a couple of solid games, I'm good with it all. I don't even care -- at all -- if Chicago takes #1 overall. Presidents Trophy seasons have not been kind to DC (although how long has it been since a team did it 2 yrs in a row? Long time??)

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Made the trip from Tucson up to Glendale for the game last night, and was treated to probably the worst game I have seen Holtby play all season. Well at least the Coyotes fans were a happy bunch I guess.....decent fans all around (those that do show up on a regular basis), they have been through hell for years with their team, and it will likely be moving after next season.

As for the Caps, playoff game incoming with the Jackets....they better show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad