Post-Game Talk: Caps 3, Pens 2 (OT) - Just Not Enough (MOD WARNING IN 276, 449)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'd like to go on record saying Kunitz has been a top 5 player on the pens this series. I'm not sure how, but he has

All that time off, fresh legs, and realizing this is his last cup run with the Pens has probably been a big factor in that. It's great to see.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's either kill or be killed. We'll see how it all shakes out, but as stands right now, the Caps are very alive and well by taking 2 cheap shots on the Pens captain. And they walk away from it unscathed.

And they almost went down in the series 0-3. :laugh: CBJ went down 4-1. So no.. the "kill or be killed" is not true in any way, shape, form.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No I'm not. Watch the game. If you have it on DVR then watch each of Cullens shifts. He has an initial rush and then his game dies rapidly. Literally one rush up ice and he is done.

Losing the puck and not skating to spots in the dzone. It's called "when the wheels fall off".

D6LbDn3.jpg

Say what?

He looked fine, tired like the rest of the forwards that suddenly had to play more and for Cullen, he was taking a ton of draws and playing on the PK a lot more than anyone should. He's fine.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Rossi is such a clown. I hate to bring the guy up, but his article makes you cringe if you're worried about a Caps comeback.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
just to take a quick peak at the Caps board. wow :amazed:

apparently they don't understand how getting your foot slewed, while being clipped in the head by a stick could send you off balance, that crosby was purposely diving and just happend to fall into niskanen's stick.

that about sums up the majority of Caps fans opinions it would seem.

I hope Crosby is ok, what would really be great is if Crosby doesn't return until the next series (but does and is 100%) and we just dominate the Caps and win the next 2 games with malkin in full on beast mode.

If we bounce them out of the playoffs with Crosby not on the ice, I think their heads might literally explode.

I wanted Trotz as a pens coach back when he left the Preds. So glad we dodged that bullet.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah.. I think Cully has been pretty solid for a 4th line center. He has made some great plays defensively and has been in his office behind the net/corners. He's actually the only threat we have on PKs, too. Weirdly enough.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I'm honestly confused by posters of a certain team forum claiming that Crosby dove on the initial Ovechkin slash. Other arguments, while I may not agree with, I get... but the diving claim is just ???

Also this is an internet forum so we all know how the internet works... why would people outrage over a Rossi troll job and share the link for other people to click? Hey dumbasses. Don't feed the troll!

(that's vague enough to not break any hf rules right? Speaking of which, I should really read the rules one day)

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
just to take a quick peak at the Caps board. wow :amazed:

apparently they don't understand how getting your foot slewed, while being clipped in the head by a stick could send you off balance, that crosby was purposely diving and just happend to fall into niskanen's stick.

that about sums up the majority of Caps fans opinions it would seem.

I hope Crosby is ok, what would really be great is if Crosby doesn't return until the next series (but does and is 100%) and we just dominate the Caps and win the next 2 games with malkin in full on beast mode.

If we bounce them out of the playoffs with Crosby not on the ice, I think their heads might literally explode.

I wanted Trotz as a pens coach back when he left the Preds. So glad we dodged that bullet.

Why would anyone care what Caps fans think. They follow a garage league franchise and even their mods on this site act like children.

Not going to be PC and pretend that they aren't ecstatic Crosby is hurt and want him out because it's the only shot their trash bag team has to beating the Pens.

It's not a coincidence Crosby took two head shots in the opening minutes of the game.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Should be a suspension, but the NHL has been way too soft this year on protecting the players.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Why would anyone care what Caps fans think. They follow a garage league franchise and even their mods on this site act like children.

Not going to be PC and pretend that they aren't ecstatic Crosby is hurt and want him out because it's the only shot their trash bag team has to beating the Pens.

It's not a coincidence Crosby took two head shots in the opening minutes of the game.

And believe me when I tell you, if not Sid, it would have been Jake. That line was killing the Caps and they were going to stop them by any means necessary.

You could see from the drop of the puck, they were targeting from the start.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Ovechkin on Dumoulin was a slew foot. Ovechkin on Sid was incidental contact. Let's not get carried away. Ovechkin' two hander, and Niskanen's headshot were the only two bad acts on that play.

Edit: or was that Schultz that Ovechkin took out? Either way, that was bad.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah.. I think Cully has been pretty solid for a 4th line center. He has made some great plays defensively and has been in his office behind the net/corners. He's actually the only threat we have on PKs, too. Weirdly enough.

He's been more productive than last year, which is what seemed odd about that dude's comments. Cullen has been rock solid for a 4th liner.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's also a pretty sorry state that teams know they can do that with impunity.

The problem is that if the Pens retaliate, it turns into another retaliation by the Capitals and more players get hurt. The onus is on the Department of Player Safety to deter anyone from taking stupid runs like that and they didn't do anything.

They did nothing. Them being silent gives the Caps validity for what they did in the last game.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Having Niskannen play probably helps the Penguins mindset. I really don't care if that idiot is suspended or not in that regard. We know the Penguins can beat that team. We know the Capitals are hanging on by a thread mentally. I wouldn't be surprised to see them up 5-0 after the first period of game 4.. and then watch the Capitals melt like little puppy dogs with their tails between their legs. That is the result i am expecting now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's also a pretty sorry state that teams know they can do that with impunity.

It's a trash bag league, just expected and why they are a sub sport, sadly.

Could imagine if guys were taking head shots at Tom Brady. Please.

And believe me when I tell you, if not Sid, it would have been Jake. That line was killing the Caps and they were going to stop them by any means necessary.

Ya, something was said in that meeting. Let's not act naive. Coaches won't come out and say specifically what needs to be done, but they will imply it.

It's what loser teams do when they can't hang with talent and I'm not going to pretend or act PC about what was done. I played the game all my life, I'm not stupid, or at least hockey stupid.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
The problem is that if the Pens retaliate, it turns into another retaliation by the Capitals and more players get hurt. The onus is on the Department of Player Safety to deter anyone from taking stupid runs like that and they didn't do anything.

They did nothing. Them being silent gives the Caps validity for what they did in the last game.

Look it's a ****ing joke. Columbus was just as dirty, they just thankfully didn't injure anyone. Teams know they can do this against the Pens with impunity. It's time to sign someone who is at least physically imposing, if not necessarily a goon. I mean, who are we supposed to send out there to even things out, Kunitz? Where's our Gary Roberts or Kasper? Crosby gets cheap shotted all the time and the only thing we say is "winning is the reward". Well, yes, until something like this happens. I'm serious, I want to see Ovechkin's ****ing blood on the ice or him gripping his knee in agony tomorrow. Take a run at Holtby with your elbows up. Something that shows other teams you will have to pay some sort of price when you do this. It's not like the rest of the league or their fans will suddenly stop loving the Pens, everyone else hates us anyway so who the **** cares.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I wouldn't say they did nothing. Niskanen got a 5 and a game. That's pretty severe and should have cost the Capitals that game. Naturally we didn't score on that PP because of course we didn't.

I don't think Niskanen meant to hurt Sid. He meant to interfere with him there, and the result was worse than expected because Sid slipped into a vulnerable position.

It's just crappy luck for us, as usual. Whatever. The team needs to forget it and do their best to still win this series. We're in a good spot. A win tomorrow still has us ready to advance. Sid or no Sid Sully needs to keep these guys focused on winning and not revenge.

If they want revenge, dress Sestito next year in the regular season games vs the Caps. But now is not the time to lose focus. It freaking sucks, but that's the way it is.

The Pens have survived these situations in the past. Adam Graves chopped Lemieux and we still won that series. With luck we'll do the same here in the event Sid can't go.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah, being a fan of the Capitals fan is a bizarre life choice. You are admitting that you admire players who have very little regard for sportsmanship, very little capacity for dealing with adversity, extremely weak willpower, and little to no comradery on the team. They don't dominate as favorites or win as underdogs. They are persistent underachievers who prefer the low road.

If that is your ideal sports franchise to root for - i don't think there is much I want to read from you. Flyer fans might be living in the 70s. What exactly are the Capital fans pining for? Dale Hunter?

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Yeah, being a fan of the Capitals fan is a bizarre life choice. You are admitting that you admire players who have very little regard for sportsmanship, very little capacity for dealing with adversity, extremely weak willpower, and little to no comradery on the team. They don't dominate as favorites or win as underdogs. They are persistent underachievers who prefer the low road.

If that is your ideal sports franchise to root for - i don't think there is much I want to read from you. Flyer fans might be living in the 70s. What exactly are the Capital fans pining for? Dale Hunter?

And ****ing Orpik chose to go there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Good lord, Caps & Rangers fans might be the dumbest fans you can encounter in that Niskanen thread in the main board. It's constant deflecting of the actual issues in that game, going back to the nut tap, not spear, nut tap on ROR which ROR himself shrugged off after Sid apologized and explained it, but hey the apology isn't enough for the Capitals (right?) fans?

The Gobfather*

May 2, 2014

I hate to agree with you but that seems so weird how they did and that happened last night.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As I said before... Last night was just another example of how Hocky ****'s with the Caps... in all honestly extending the series at least a game means one more miserable thing that can happen to them... how a team aquired that much negative karma astounds me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad