Post-Game Talk: Caps - 3, Pens - 0... Zero? Zero *** **** goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
Welcome!

I wouldn't be surprised if both of them want to play those minutes, and Johnston still has shown that he won't play them too much when they are winning, but here is how his icetime breaks down over the season:

Oct: 19:24
Nov: 19:25
Dec: 21:16

Malkin:

18:11, 19:05, 21:47

That sucks.

Thanks!

It's been said before, but this bears repeating - getting to the playoffs won't mean anything at all if Sid & Geno have nothing left in the tank. And right now, they're having to give 110% week in and week out.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
- this was the first pens game this year where i didn't watch all the way to the end (**** it. life is too short. granted, i did watch until the final 2 minutes... so there is that).
- injuries. so many injuries. hopefully hornqvist is okay/won't be out for too long.
- crosby's finishing ability. it's strange and frustrating to watch.
- pens record against the metro. it's strange and frustrating to watch.
- the pp. it's strange and frustrating to watch.
- crosby and malkin's ice time. one thing i really liked about mj earlier this season was his limiting the ice time of these two. hopefully tonight was just a blip and not a trend.

it was actually a pretty even game until the 3rd. and then it kind of unravelled.

+ canada beat germany after a lacklustre start. mcdavid is on the board (he seems like an even-keeled guy--but he was wafting stress)

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
5-5-3 against the Metropolitan, 17-3-2 against the rest.

It really is strange.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a couple of quick notes (I dvred the game as I was at a family event). This is an HF-less biased reaction to the game.

+ First Period: To be honest... I thought it was the best period the Pens played. One unlucky bounce and they grabbed a goal. I LOVED how the Pens played. I thought that was one of the best periods played by the Pens.

+ Harrington: Man.. his +/- won't show the right stat today. He was ****ing awesome. 1 on 1 a couple times with Ovy and he completely shut him down. Completely shut him down. I thought Harrington was tremendous all game and is such a freaking gem.

+ Despres: Wow! Seriously. Wow. He played one of his best games of the season. I thought he was our best defenseman and it wasn't close. He was phyiscal and it...was...BEAUTIFUL. He also has great hockey sense. His blocks were huge and his passes were spot on. A+ game.

+ Fleury: Nothing Fleury could do tonight. I thought he played very well.

- Crosby: 50% bad bounces 50% bad decision making by Sid. Enough with the silly ****ing passes. It's ridiculous. He also had some bad luck w/ twigs snapping. He was so frustrated and you could tell. I really hate to see Sid playing like this. I feel like his wheels are there, but his decision making is the poorest its ever been. Sloppy passes. I doubt CEC guys gave him the turnovers he deserved but he was a hot mess.

End of game note: I am totally fine w/ the Pens play in this one. I actually thought they battled hard for 60. Holtby made some sick saves or else we could have snuck our way back into it or even taken the lead early. Nothing wrong w/ how the Pens played at all. Great PK, too.

BlackGoldGreen

Jul 7, 2006
California
Just a couple of quick notes (I dvred the game as I was at a family event). This is an HF-less biased reaction to the game.

+ First Period: To be honest... I thought it was the best period the Pens played. One unlucky bounce and they grabbed a goal. I LOVED how the Pens played. I thought that was one of the best periods played by the Pens.

+ Harrington: Man.. his +/- won't show the right stat today. He was ****ing awesome. 1 on 1 a couple times with Ovy and he completely shut him down. Completely shut him down. I thought Harrington was tremendous all game and is such a freaking gem.

+ Despres: Wow! Seriously. Wow. He played one of his best games of the season. I thought he was our best defenseman and it wasn't close. He was phyiscal and it...was...BEAUTIFUL. He also has great hockey sense. His blocks were huge and his passes were spot on. A+ game.

+ Fleury: Nothing Fleury could do tonight. I thought he played very well.

- Crosby: 50% bad bounces 50% bad decision making by Sid. Enough with the silly ****ing passes. It's ridiculous. He also had some bad luck w/ twigs snapping. He was so frustrated and you could tell. I really hate to see Sid playing like this. I feel like his wheels are there, but his decision making is the poorest its ever been. Sloppy passes. I doubt CEC guys gave him the turnovers he deserved but he was a hot mess.

End of game note: I am totally fine w/ the Pens play in this one. I actually thought they battled hard for 60. Holtby made some sick saves or else we could have snuck our way back into it or even taken the lead early. Nothing wrong w/ how the Pens played at all. Great PK, too.

you're totally fine with getting 1 shot on net thru the first ~10min of the 3rd when we're down in the game?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man not enough love for Despres/Harrington tonight. I know the +/- stat is useless after seeing how it affected tonight's game. Those two were ****ing incredible. Like insanely incredible. I cannot believe how SOLID Harrington is and Despres is turning into this all-star defender right before our eyes.

I have no issues with the game what-so-ever. A couple spectacular saves and better depth (mostly due to our injuries) won the Caps the game. The effort was there all night.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
you're totally fine with getting 1 shot on net thru the first ~10min of the 3rd when we're down in the game?

Man they were hustling and battling. Our lineup of AHLers does affect us and Washington played solid 2 way. We generated a **** load in that 3rd. We even had like 2 straight minutes w/ DEspres/Harrington on the points where we stayed in the Caps zone. It was unfortunate that a crazy behind the back spin-a-rama pass was what Sid decided on and it finally broke up the heat that was thrown at the Caps.

I would like better shot totals, but they were hustling their ***** off trying to get shots.

Typically I would agree with you if they chose to pass up shots, but they were trying to get stuff to the net.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Man not enough love for Despres/Harrington tonight. I know the +/- stat is useless after seeing how it affected tonight's game. Those two were ****ing incredible. Like insanely incredible. I cannot believe how SOLID Harrington is and Despres is turning into this all-star defender right before our eyes.

I have no issues with the game what-so-ever. A couple spectacular saves and better depth (mostly due to our injuries) won the Caps the game. The effort was there all night.

Looks like we saw the same thing. Harrington put on a clinic tonight.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

Despres into all-star defender?:laugh: Once they get Martin, Ehrhoff and Maatta back, he'll be lucky if they play him over Harrington.

penguins2946*

It's nice to hear all the good words about Despres and Harrington. I'm really hoping they move Martin and run with:

Harrington-Letang
Maatta-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo
Scuderi

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Harrington is just as good one on one as Martin, but he's more physical and much savvier in the offensive zone.

Yet another reason why Martin should not be on this team with a healthy Maatta.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How about JR actually make a trade for that top six help he's been talking about since he got the job in June? That would be cool at some point in the next decade.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
How about JR actually make a trade for that top six help he's been talking about since he got the job in June? That would be cool at some point in the next decade.

I'm not really participating in the trade/roster thread, so this may sound dumb: but do people really expect any kind of (good) deal while the Penguins are as injured?

I'd love to see it happen, and it definitely should be possible - but trying to think back on teams who traded big/are in similar roster situations, I can't really remember that happening with a decimated roster like this. Mostly more of the type of trades that Anaheim/Winnipeg have made recently. Klinkhammer deals.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not really participating in the trade/roster thread, so this may sound dumb: but do people really expect any kind of (good) deal while the Penguins are as injured?

I'd love to see it happen, and it definitely should be possible - but trying to think back on teams who traded big/are in similar roster situations, I can't really remember that happening with a decimated roster like this. Mostly more of the type of trades that Anaheim/Winnipeg have made recently. Klinkhammer deals.

Unless one of the players who is currently injured is the one that's the key to pulling off a trade, I'm not sure why not?

The Pens are really hurting for offense right now, to the point that their meal tickets look rather frustrated. This is the perfect time to actually pull off a trade to a]add some punch to the lineup and, arguably more importantly, b]get Sid and Geno back into a groove and seem like they actually enjoy hockey, rather than hating every second of passing to AHL wingers.

JR was supposed to be an upgrade over Shero because he kept saying the right things. Well, it's now time for him to actually do something. Otherwise he's Shero, but who likes to talk more than Shero did.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Unless one of the players who is currently injured is the one that's the key to pulling off a trade, I'm not sure why not?

The Pens are really hurting for offense right now, to the point that their meal tickets look rather frustrated. This is the perfect time to actually pull off a trade to a]add some punch to the lineup and, arguably more importantly, b]get Sid and Geno back into a groove and seem like they actually enjoy hockey, rather than hating every second of passing to AHL wingers.

JR was supposed to be an upgrade over Shero because he kept saying the right things. Well, it's now time for him to actually do something. Otherwise he's Shero, but who likes to talk more than Shero did.

I agree with everything - I mostly wonder about other teams asking for more than they would than when the Penguins don't seem so desperate. Same way the Bruins/Blackhawks got fleeced due to the cap crunch.

But it doesn't matter. A trade would a nice surprise.

On a different matter:

Seth Rorabaugh @emptynetters
The Nailers were the only team in the Penguins organization to not get shut out tonight (Lost 3-1.) And they only had 15 players.

penguins2946*

Or, he could wait for the right deal to make. He has no need to do a deal right now. There is nothing wrong with being patient and waiting for the right player and/or the right cost.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I scratch my head at the Pens FO when I look at Klinkhammer. Perfect opportunity to add a nasty, tough to play against bottom six and we trade for more of the same quasi physical player that really doesn't excel at any given trait.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
If you expect Despres and Harrington to play better than they did tonight, your expectations for them are unrealistic.

They were the only brights spots tonight. Perhaps MAF as you said, but that's debatable.
Man, I know that they were both playing with heart and both went kinda unlucky.. But I have a hard time giving them pluses when they were on the ice basically for every goal against us. Harrington injured Hornqvist, was right there with that bad bounce for that 1st goal, was doing the right thing on that 3rd goal, but Fehr still scored.. Both were also getting good looks for the shots but they were blocked a lot of times...

I´m not saying that they were horrible, but they weren´t perfect either and had a lot of bad luck. Great games will come from those two, they have good habits and compete levels, but this still wasn´t a game to give them pluses. Just too much bad luck around those two..

I know, different standards.. But as I mentioned before.. we haven´t had A SINGLE SCORING CHANCE WITHOUT CROSBY TONIGHT. Not even one.. He created 5 of them and had two himself. His finish is terrible, but if at least 2 of those 5 are converted by his teammates then he wouldn´t be criticized to death for this game. He was quite unlucky too in this regard, I guess.

Malkin on the other hand generated less than half of it and is apparently getting a free pass again. Yeah, I hate it when he plays a wing but I also hate when someone plays with Kunitz and Rust.. Just a terrible coaching job by MJ tonight. Terrible. Not adjusting until 0-3 late in the game. It was frustrating.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Worth noting that despite his obvious struggles Sid is still on pace for like 95 points. A hot streak or two and he'll be right back on pace for what he usually does.

He has it in him to be the player he normally is. He just needs to calm down and play a simple game. And JR needs to get him some damned help. He can't control who he is playing with, but he can control how he plays.

When he was on that 25 game point streak which was the best hockey he ever played he achieved a lot of those points by just playing real simple and letting his talent take over.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Heh, first post.

Maata+scuds+kuny for Jvr+Lupul
Martin(addition by subtraction)+Sutter for Perron

Perron-Sid-Horny
Lupul-Geno-Beau
Downie-Spaling-Rust
Klink-Goc-Comeau(if hes back)/Farnham
Farnham/Adams

Harrington-Tangers
Despress-Ehrhoff