Post-Game Talk: Caps - 3, Pens - 0... Zero? Zero *** **** goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Man, I know that they were both playing with heart and both went kinda unlucky.. But I have a hard time giving them pluses when they were on the ice basically for every goal against us. Harrington injured Hornqvist, was right there with that bad bounce for that 1st goal, was doing the right thing on that 3rd goal, but Fehr still scored.. Both were also getting good looks for the shots but they were blocked a lot of times...

I´m not saying that they were horrible, but they weren´t perfect either and had a lot of bad luck. Great games will come from those two, they have good habits and compete levels, but this still wasn´t a game to give them pluses. Just too much bad luck around those two..

I know, different standards.. But as I mentioned before.. we haven´t had A SINGLE SCORING CHANCE WITHOUT CROSBY TONIGHT. Not even one.. He created 5 of them and had two himself. His finish is terrible, but if at least 2 of those 5 are converted by his teammates then he wouldn´t be criticized to death for this game. He was quite unlucky too in this regard, I guess.

Malkin on the other hand generated less than half of it and is apparently getting a free pass again. Yeah, I hate it when he plays a wing but I also hate when someone plays with Kunitz and Rust.. Just a terrible coaching job by MJ tonight. Terrible. Not adjusting until 0-3 late in the game. It was frustrating.

No blueliner will ever play perfect, but the reasons you are knocking Despres and Harrington seems pretty unfair IMHO. Both of those guys played outstanding hockey last night and got zero support up front, both in terms of offense and their fwds covering their assignments.

Harrington clipping Hornqvist with the puck is just part of hockey. I can't see a reason to knock his game last night over an accident. As for those two being on the ice for all 3 goals agt, they really weren't at fault for at least two of them.

The first goal Harrington made a nice play to stop the pass, but got unlucky and it bounced into the paint and got stuffed home.

On the second goal, Despres made a smart pinch trying to generate offense in a one goal game and had numbers back. Crosby instead of going back on his heels, went at the puck carrier and took himself out of the play. Harrington then played the 2-1 well and took away the pass. That is what you are taught to do on a 2-1. You leave the shooter to the goalie.

On the third goal, Rust was well out of his zone and allowed the pass to get to the point, it was slid p-p and the shot on net was deflected. The puck landed right in the paint and Harrington put his guy on his ass, but he knocked the puck in as he fell down.

When you are looking at assignments and what went wrong, Crosby and Rust are the guys that had the mental breakdowns that lead to the last two goals. If you want to blame Harrington for the first goal, I suppose an argument can be made. It's seemed like crap luck though and not a mental breakdown.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
No blueliner will ever play perfect, but the reasons you are knocking Despres and Harrington seems pretty unfair IMHO. Both of those guys played outstanding hockey last night and got zero support up front, both in terms of offense and their fwds covering their assignments.

Harrington clipping Hornqvist with the puck is just part of hockey. I can't see a reason to knock his game last night over an accident. As for those two being on the ice for a couple of goals agt, they really weren't at fault for either.

On the second goal, Despres made a smart pinch trying to generate offense in a one goal game and had numbers back. Crosby instead of going back on his heels, went at the puck carrier and took himself out of the play. Harrington then played the 2-1 well and took away the pass. That is what you are taught to do on a 2-1. You leave the shooter to the goalie.

On the third goal, Rust was well out of his zone and allowed the pass to get to the point, it was slid p-p and the shot on net was deflected. The puck landed right in the paint and Harrington put his guy on his ass, but he knocked the puck in as fell down.

When you are looking at assignments and what went wrong, Crosby and Rust are the guys that had the mental breakdowns that lead to both goals.

the only fault I'll give Despres last night was on the 3rd goal. I felt like he was chasing behind the net, got pulled away from his assignment, and then sort of screened Fleury as he took the long loop back around to get in front.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just wish he would have shot it instead.

Me as well. Even when he did his stick blew up on him once. Very frustrating all around.

My real take on the game is in the offense-zone unless it was Crosby or Malkin out there, and even them a lot, is where it just wasn't clicking at all. There was this one pass, actually a couple, where passes were made to a completely vacant left side of the ice both at forward and defense. I'll put some rather bad line and pairing changes that were really bad timing that falls under coaching or the players themselves.

People saying they saw a lot of good are not seeing the play away from the puck. It was horribad. So many plays died and watching the players dejected skating to the bench. Mostly Sid who showed the most.

Just another terrible time to be a fan in the seats and watching on screen. I can only imagine how the players feel.

The CEC needs a exorcist performed on it to remove all of their demons.

The power of the Hockey Gods compels you! *repeated many, many times*

51r1uG1UHOL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
the only fault I'll give Despres last night was on the 3rd goal. I felt like he was chasing behind the net, got pulled away from his assignment, and then sort of screened Fleury as he took the long loop back around to get in front.

I did an edit because I forgot Harrington was on the ice for the first goal, but it was just ****** luck. He made a nice play to stop the pass.

Despres did nothing wrong on that third goal either. You are taught to chase the man out on his backhand, if you have support in front (Harrington). If Rust was in his zone, the puck never gets to the point on a weak backhand pass.

That's on Rust. No sugar coating it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I did an edit because I forgot Harrington was on the ice for the first goal, but it was just ****** luck. He made a nice play to stop the pass.

Despres did nothing wrong on that third goal either. You are taught to chase the man out on his backhand, if you have support in front (Harrington). If Rust was in his zone, the puck never gets to the point on a weak backhand pass.

That's on Rust. No sugar coating it.

alright, I'll take your word for it ;)

The broadcast view of the 2nd goal was the worst. Steigy's call, "Despres, Despres... Despres. DespresDespres.Despres. DespresDespresDespresDespres. DESPRES. Despres."

Errey finally said, "but they had numbers back..."

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
alright, I'll take your word for it ;)

The broadcast view of the 2nd goal was the worst. Steigy's call, "Despres, Despres... Despres. DespresDespres.Despres. DespresDespresDespresDespres. DESPRES. Despres."

Errey finally said, "but they had numbers back..."

I don't worry about what Steigy says. The coaches know Crosby ****ed up there.

I was in that position countless times covering for my d-man and you know you have to get back on your heels. Why he went lunging at the puck carrier only he knows. I'm 100% sure he would tell you he blew it and that goal was on him.

In the end, I have no idea what Crosby was thinking there. Maybe he figured Harrington is so awesome he could handle things himself.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm fine with Sid not producing while the supporting cast is what it is right now, but the coaching staff needs to get in his ear about plays like that last night where he's taking himself out of the play in the neutral zone and causing odd man rushes against.

I'd rather we lose games playing sound defensively than win a couple more with Sid playing like a jackass. Build good habits for the playoffs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Production means nothing to me at this time IF the chances are there. Inevitably it will work itself out. But Sid is playing like ass. The east-west turnovers are insane. I'd love someone to do real research on how many of his passes lead to breakouts for other teams or are just flat out turnovers.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Production means nothing to me at this time IF the chances are there. Inevitably it will work itself out. But Sid is playing like ass. The east-west turnovers are insane. I'd love someone to do real research on how many of his passes lead to breakouts for other teams or are just flat out turnovers.

The give away/take away stat should show that right?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The give away/take away stat should show that right?

That stat is horrendous. It's not objective whatsoever. Especially with a star like Sid, I guarantee the home arena is ultra conservative with tracking it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jacob the other night (maybe even 2 weeks ago) was keeping track and they credited Sid w/ 2, but he had like 4-6. It was bad.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Any kind of stat tracking is super bad - blocked shots, hits, even shots and shot attempts. Giveaways and takeaways, doesn't matter. There are projects that look at over-/undercounts for each arena.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It is funny this stuff about Sid. A few weeks ago he was bad and no one dared to mention it, all of a sudden one of the media brings it up and everyone started to ganging up. Anyone who really wants to watch the games can see that Sid is the only one that creates any resemblance of offensive game in the last 5 games, and that with two 5 ton concrete anchors on his both wings. He hustles, he PKs he is dangerous, he created probably a dozen or so great chances....and he is getting called up now.

you can tell he is pressing, you can tell when things are not working he tries sometimes low precentage play, but that is Sid F....... Crosby, he is suppose to make those plays.

They should be calling mario, GM and all these morons that are killing his career for the last five years (and please do not give me all the individual point crap, everything he's done was in spite of situation he was put in, not thanks to the situation.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
It is funny this stuff about Sid. A few weeks ago he was bad and no one dared to mention it, all of a sudden one of the media brings it up and everyone started to ganging up. Anyone who really wants to watch the games can see that Sid is the only one that creates any resemblance of offensive game in the last 5 games, and that with two 5 ton concrete anchors on his both wings. He hustles, he PKs he is dangerous, he created probably a dozen or so great chances....and he is getting called up now.

you can tell he is pressing, you can tell when things are not working he tries sometimes low precentage play, but that is Sid F....... Crosby, he is suppose to make those plays.

They should be calling mario, GM and all these morons that are killing his career for the last five years (and please do not give me all the individual point crap, everything he's done was in spite of situation he was put in, not thanks to the situation.

agreed. sid and to a lesser extent geno arent playing great, but its not their fault, for the most part.

this organization has been mediocre for years, having done a horrific job of building around their two generational players. only now when sid/geno arent playing at a superhuman level is it becoming clear how mediocre/bad this team/organization really is, and has been for years.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The issue with Sid, for me at least, is that a few bad games are excusable...but his play has gotten worse instead of better over the past month and his decision making is just baffling. The lack of linemates thing definitely is hurting him, but that's part of what makes his pass only mentality so infuriating. If you have a 2-on-1 with a clear path to the net you don't force a pass to a covered Andrew Ebbett.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
The issue with Sid, for me at least, is that a few bad games are excusable...but his play has gotten worse instead of better over the past month and his decision making is just baffling. The lack of linemates thing definitely is hurting him, but that's part of what makes his pass only mentality so infuriating. If you have a 2-on-1 with a clear path to the net you don't force a pass to a covered Andrew Ebbett.

I actually think it's gotten better, considering he played with mumps to start the month. He was less involved/invisible for stretches then. Now he is still making bad decisions, but his shot numbers are up, and he is more there, if that makes sense.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Sid stunk out the joint against the caps.

Outside of Rusk, there is absolutely no f help in W-B, . Ebberts at best is ok on the pk, Uher is just too slow. Farnham and Sill are no more than 4th liners and Megna hasn't shown anything this year.

With Comeau, Downie, and Hornquist out, the pen's wingers become pitiful.

IMO, JR made a big mistake in not signing Carcillo. The blackhawks thought he had some use and signed him for the minimum.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Actually thought the pass there was the right move. If you watch teh replay, the Caps defenseman gapped right up tight on Sid with his stick there. Sid had little to shoot at. He does need to shoot more in general though.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Random Question I tried to google and youtube the video tribute to Orpik, anyone know where I can find it to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad