Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs. Flyers - 10/2/14 7:00 PM Caps Win 3-2 (SO)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Gimmick goal aside, likely Kuznetsov's best preseason game. It helped that they had more room in the second half of the game but he was a little more comfortable offensively.

Didn't watch tonight (Orioles!!), but I was impressed by his game last time he played Philadelphia. Apparently Trotz was not. How do the two games compare? What was Trotz' reaction to 92 tonight?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I hope Kuznetsov gets to play wing with Burakovsky at center. Surrounding our "new 2C" Burakovsky with 21/20 will end up being a nightmare. I'd love to see a 92-65-20 line.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm so happy for Burakovsky. This young talent have hockey in his blood, his father Robert was extremely fun watching and scored tons of goals, a true artist.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=513

Huge offensive upside for Capitals, looking interesting, mix of talents and stars. Unfortunately question marks for defensive and goalkeepers though. ;-)

Press in Sweden and North America writing tons about William Nylander but almost forgetting about Burakovsky. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Burakavsky outshines Nylander. We all know what happens to lots of talents in Toronto as well. (They develop them, loose patience and get rid of them, Alex Steen another decent Swedish talent). I doubt Nylander will play in NHL this season but Burakovsky will.

Last edited:

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Fehr tries hard sure. He tries really hard to be always where the puck was.

BTW its quite funny you have no idea what the kiss and point is.

The reason for OV's kiss and point is well known on this board. Especially for anyone who has been posting for awhile. No one here is putting it down.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I'm so happy for Burakovsky. This young talent have hockey in his blood, his Robert father was extremely fun watching and scored tons of goals, a true artist.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=513

Huge offensive upside for Capitals, looking interesting, mix of talents and stars. Unfortunately question marks for defensive and goalkeepers though. ;-)

Press in Sweden and North America writing tons about William Nylander but almost forgetting about Burakovsky. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Burakavsky outshines Nylander. We all know what happens to lots of talents in Toronto as well. (They develop them, loose patience and get rid of them, Alex Steen another decent Swedish talent). I doubt Nylander will play in NHL this season but Burakovsky will.

Burakovsky if he keeps playing the way he is and assuming he stays up, which I think he will at least to start, could very likely be in the running for the Calder.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
First period was bad.

Caps were the better team 5 on 5 after that.

Officials with suspicious non-calls on the Flyers while they nailed the Caps for everything. Good PK.

Orpik doesn't look bad as rumored. In fact he looked much the same in the game he played against vs the Caps. Physical presence, good pk, excellent first pass and that stabilizing presence we've needed on the blue line since Tinordi left.

Kuznetsov and Johansson looked much better. Kuznetsov still lost in the Dzone at C so I'm sure he will benefit at wing. Looks to be too catious and overthinking at C.

What can you say about Burakovsky...I got out of my seat everything he started to wind up for a rush. He played solid D and has great hands to boot.

Peters is a good backup and the best player in that role since Johnson that we've had.

Forwards played a gritty physical game. Brown is impressive in that regard and I like Obrien too.

4th line was running around in our own zone the whole game tho.

Niskanen makes a mistake or two a game but makes several outstanding plays as well. Big addition.

The 6 D until Orlov returns is a bit suspicious but I guess Hillen is the best of the bunch quite easily.

I too want to see Kuznetsov and Burakovsky together. I suspect this WILL happen at some point sooner rather than later. Laich at 3C, MJ to 4th line, Brouwer at 2RW.

If that happens the top 6 suddenly doesn't look so average.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Right now Kuzya looks like a guy with all the skill in the world who can't translate it into scoring in the NHL. If I hadn't seen him succeed at the end of last year I might be pretty worried.

Bura, OTOH, looks like a guy you can build a line around, or will be in the near future. But hey, it's preseason, it's all out the window on Thursday.

Agreed that Orpik looked solid last night.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I agree with BR about Kuznetsov, he seems to be overthinking the C position, there were a couple of times where I felt he left the zone early to get back so he didn't get caught deep in the O-zone and burned on D. I think he needs to play on the wing.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Overthinking = learning.

Busting his ass skating as fast as possible is not conducive to learning. He needs to slow down, and start reading plays defensively.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA
Kuz definitely seems hesitant, more so than last year even. I'm not worried (yet) and despite the overthinking/hesitation/whatever he's been playing better than Marcus who I thought had another disappointing night. MJ had a legitimate chance to grab the 2C role at the start of camp and may well have played himself down to the 4th line.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Overthinking = learning.

Busting his ass skating as fast as possible is not conducive to learning. He needs to slow down, and start reading plays defensively.
I'm not disagreeing and given enough time I'm confident he could become a competent centerman but it genuinely makes me angry that the organizational center depth is so terrible they feel compelled to turn a proven KHL star winger into a center. Who does that?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not disagreeing and given enough time I'm confident he could become a competent centerman but it genuinely makes me angry that the organizational center depth is so terrible they feel compelled to turn a proven KHL star winger into a center. Who does that?

Well, to me its a question of whether they want to win right now or if they're building for the future as well.

Because we have Ovi and Nicky, it gets dicey, but if Kuzya can prove to be a top 6 Center in the NHL (and Burakovsky does the same) he's a drastically more worth wild player then just a winger. Centers are easily the most important player on a team sans Goalie I'd say, so they're trying to maximize his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad