Capitals Trade Block

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Todd Bertuzzi - Valuable playoff performer with a great rating and autosign ability after the season for very cheap.

Radim Vrbata - On pace for 50 points and ratings increase. Could be a late bloomer.

Roman Hamrlik - Strong minutes eater with decent puck moving.

All players available for pick/prospect combinations depending upon what is offered.

Thanks!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Not to hijack, but I'm afraid you can't use auto-sign to re-sign a pending FA for less than they're making in the HFNHL, so Bertuzzi won't be eligible to re-sign for anything less than His current $4.9 million. However, unless someone extends him for that figure, he'll be available as an FA for whatever our market will bear. (Assuming he doesn't retire, that is)

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Not to hijack, but I'm afraid you can't use auto-sign to re-sign a pending FA for less than they're making in the HFNHL, so Bertuzzi won't be eligible to re-sign for anything less than His current $4.9 million. However, unless someone extends him for that figure, he'll be available as an FA for whatever our market will bear. (Assuming he doesn't retire, that is)

And to take it a step further...didn't Nick (I think it was Nick) say that we may not be able to use auto-sign at all for players that we acquire at the deadline? That unless a player was with you all year auto-sign might not be an option? Or was that just something that's being toyed with for next year?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

So Bertuzzi wouldn't negotiate at under his current HFNHL cap hit despite his NHL cap hit being.... minuscule in comparison? I do understand the autosign part, and thank you, but that does seem a bit odd that he wouldn't negotiate to market value.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
It's the flip-side if auto-sign: pending FAs are less likely to negotiate down, and will usually wait for free agency instead. It does happen, though, and his current team could try (that would be you, Josh), but a team he was just traded to would have basically no chance of getting him to sign at under his current HFNHL deal prior to July 1st - no loyalty incentive on his part.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Douglas is correct. Teams need to realize that when they trade for a player with an inflated salary (relative to their NHL wage), matching that salary going forward is the only way to guarantee you keep them. This doesn't mean you can't re-sign the player for less of course, but it will be during UFA period where the current team will get a form of loyalty if their offer is at least very close to the best.

The few exceptions for this in past have simply been circumstances where the offer - while less than their current HFNHL salary - was so significantly higher than their NHL salary and what the agents felt would be the maximum attained as a UFA, that the offer gets accepted. In particular if the player has played with that team for a lengthy period.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
And to take it a step further...didn't Nick (I think it was Nick) say that we may not be able to use auto-sign at all for players that we acquire at the deadline? That unless a player was with you all year auto-sign might not be an option? Or was that just something that's being toyed with for next year?

Seeing as how the deadline is like 5 days away, can we get a final ruling on this? I've made my feelings on auto-sign known in the past, but I really don't like after the fact rule changes. Whether or not a players is guaranteed to re-sign makes a big difference in gauging their trade value.

If the auto-sign option isn't allowed for players acquired now, some teams are going to be pissed they over paid.
On the other hand, if we do allow the auto-sign but don't say so now, some teams will be pissed that they undersold.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
If I can't autosign Olli Jokinen to his NHL salalry plus a signing bonus I will trade him too. I sent an offer to Swingstein...and still no reply................. Can we have a ruling on this??

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
If I can't autosign Olli Jokinen to his NHL salalry plus a signing bonus I will trade him too. I sent an offer to Swingstein...and still no reply................. Can we have a ruling on this??

You cannot sign Ollie to what you are offering and we don't have signing bonus. So before you submit an offer to your agent, please read up on all aspect of offering a contract. The email did not inicate you are offering a contract but just asking if Olli will consider an offer.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
yes exactly...I was asking if he want to re-sign with us at is NHL contract?? But still waiting for the reply...if not ok...We understand that he dont want to sign for a bad team like us...
SO JOKINEN ON THE BLOCK very simple.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Seeing as how the deadline is like 5 days away, can we get a final ruling on this? I've made my feelings on auto-sign known in the past, but I really don't like after the fact rule changes. Whether or not a players is guaranteed to re-sign makes a big difference in gauging their trade value.

If the auto-sign option isn't allowed for players acquired now, some teams are going to be pissed they over paid.
On the other hand, if we do allow the auto-sign but don't say so now, some teams will be pissed that they undersold.

No adjustments have been made to the auto-sign for THIS season. Some adjustments were discussed, but nothing ever came of those discussions.

The auto-sign is only in place to allow players to get equal or more money than they're already getting in the HFNHL. Only under extraordinary circumstances will a player negotiate DOWN in an auto-sign situation. And I do mean extraordinary.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
league of extraordinary gentlemen

lxgmovie.jpg

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
No adjustments have been made to the auto-sign for THIS season. Some adjustments were discussed, but nothing ever came of those discussions.

The auto-sign is only in place to allow players to get equal or more money than they're already getting in the HFNHL. Only under extraordinary circumstances will a player negotiate DOWN in an auto-sign situation. And I do mean extraordinary.

Since there is already a discussion in place regarding this issue than we should perhaps look at restricting salary movement to current year. This does create a problem because no one will remember what was the player actual salary after few years and GM does have advantage of matching what is under vital page.

This year I had to dig down to find the true salary for Gonchar in order to penalize Sabres for trading Gonchar. I think it is better to get rid of this manual process and our cap is enough all the GM to be competitive.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

Wait, so we can still trade for and auto-sign players in June this year? Or were you referring to this season as until the end of the playoffs and that change goes into effect starting during the offseason?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Wait, so we can still trade for and auto-sign players in June this year? Or were you referring to this season as until the end of the playoffs and that change goes into effect starting during the offseason?

We definitely have said at the beginning of the year that we would remove this auto-sign post-season. So you can't just trade for a guy a week before July 1st and utitlize auto-sign. It basically destroying the majority of our UFA process last season and the complains were plenty.

The idea of restricting this to those traded pre-deadline was discussed and makes perfect sense, but if Matt has said it doesn't apply for this season, that is fair. Might be a bit late given the understanding is not clear.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Forgive the oversight - I believe we did make some sort of pronouncement regarding players acquired after a given date. June 1st, I believe. Been sitting at the pediatrician's office all day, though, so I can't find the exact message...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad