Capitals to host the 2015 Winter Classic

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Maybe it's just the natural Caps fan pessimist in me, but I'm viewing trying to play an outdoor game on a 55 degree New Year's Day as inviting disaster.

Would love to be wrong, of course.

55 and scattered showers, that is.

The Caps will revolutionize the concept when, at the 11th hour, they decide to play the first ever INDOOR Winter Classic. :sarcasm:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
55 and scattered showers, that is.

The Caps will revolutionize the concept when, at the 11th hour, they decide to play the first ever INDOOR Winter Classic. :sarcasm:

The only contingency plan I can think of is to refund the cheapest 30,000 seats and play the game inside.

If I were an owner, I wouldn't take the gamble...there's not much upside as an outdoor game is old hat at this point and the downside of failing to deliver the first winter classic is pretty severe.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe it's just the natural Caps fan pessimist in me, but I'm viewing trying to play an outdoor game on a 55 degree New Year's Day as inviting disaster.

I would think its pessimism. The average high temp for jan 1 at national airport is 45 degrees. this means on the average day, the temp will be around 40 at game time and at or below freezing during the overnight.

55 degrees would be a pretty warm day for the region. in fact I think 55 is about average for florida for that time of year.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
its about time we got one. If they are playing one in LA this year no reason to think DC cant pull it off.

I for one hope we play the penguins again, rumored its gonna be flyers or bruins

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I don't get it, people saying bad things about the Capitals getting it, therefore making it irrelevant or something, meaning they think no one watches the Capitals.

But everyone HFBoards knows exactly how Ovechkin plays, but if someone criticise popular teams players play, "they clearly don't watch them play, just a stats watcher."

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
I don't get it, people saying bad things about the Capitals getting it, therefore making it irrelevant or something, meaning they think no one watches the Capitals.

But everyone HFBoards knows exactly how Ovechkin plays, but if someone criticise popular teams players play, "they clearly don't watch them play, just a stats watcher."

Chill dude. They're just jelly that's all.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I think unless they get extremely lucky, it'll be a disaster. Either that or they learn how to get ice to NOT melt in warm temps.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I’m not surprised, but yuck.

@ChrisBottaNHL NHL source: expect 4 or 5 stadium games in ’14-15: Winter Classic + 3 Stadium Series games + possibly a Heritage Classic. @SBJSBD

Back to DC, as many have noted, this was going to happen, so I'm happy it's happening next year and prefer it's the Jan 1 WC game that DC hosts.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Not worried about the weather at all.

If the NHL can pull of an outdoor game in Los Angeles, DC will be a breeze.

Eh, LA won't have to worry about rain. Granted, the PIT classic showed they could get through it, but I still maintain that's got to be one of the biggest issues. Heat is an easy problem to throw money at if you're willing, rain not as much.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Eh, LA won't have to worry about rain. Granted, the PIT classic showed they could get through it, but I still maintain that's got to be one of the biggest issues. Heat is an easy problem to throw money at if you're willing, rain not as much.

DC only gets ~4 more days of precipitation than LA in January, on average (and some of those days would be snow rather than rain).

They were able to handle it in Pittsburgh just fine. I don't see why DC would be a problem.

I'm much more worried about venue than weather. RFK would suck, FedEx would suck even more, and Nats Park, while easily the best choice, is kind of boring. As unrealistic and unlikely it might be, I'm still holding out hope for the Mall.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was in Pittsburgh, it was BARELY playable. The rain was a showstopper, luckily they could delay and delay to get in the night game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Pittsburgh is awful in the winter. the weather for that game was almost worst case scenario.

that said....it might be smart to play this dc game at night.

the opponent is clear and unpopular. not as unpopular as playing the pens again, but the response here is going to be "ugh". its going to be the rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad