GDT: Capitals @ RedWings 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hey, you. Yes you, Monumental Sports Network. I'm talking to you.

I was considering paying for your streaming service. But holy hell, If I'm watching the stream on delay (cuz you know, I have kids and shit) and then live feed ends you dont just kill my stream and force me to the live feed.

Deal killer honestly
This is annoying.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Alexyev and Malenstyn were both disappointing to me. Both have chances to grab NHL spots and not showing up.

I like that Alexyev has played all games. Keep on playing him. He needs to learn to be an every day player. I really don’t want to go dumpster diving for another defenseman.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I don't usually like to pick on a player after one preseason game, but my god Mantha was bad. I saw absolutely no change in his play from last season. I was willing to give him a chance, but it's time to accept that this is what he is. A disengaged player that isn't going to contribute to the team. At this point I would rather give one of the hard working Hershey players his spot.

I thought Malenstyn had a good physical game and I liked his board work.

Really like the way Milano has been playing with a bit more edge. I hope he continues to play with a little chip on his shoulder, it suits him.

I don't think Alexeyev had that bad of a game. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't great, but he spent a lot of time covering for Priskie who was almost never in the right position.

Strome was a boss. Loved his game tonight.

I wanted to see more from Protas. He needs to work harder on the boards and just generally more compete for loose pucks. He uses stickwork too much during those 50/50 battles. I'd love to see him just lower his shoulder and outmuscle people for the puck to create plays.

Reactions: Leksand

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
When Strome and Milano are your big gun veterans, this is about the expected result
2nd pd was decent at least and some of the 3rd
2 gms of H Aktell = I want to see more of him

at least we're one day closer to more cuts and the RS ;)

Reactions: Marshall

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Mantha is a FA and might suck so much he has 0 trade value. How does it hurt us to just release him? Waivers 1st. I think everyone would rather have Miro in that roster spot.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Haman Aktell is better than Alexeyev. Thinks the game better, more skill. Heavier shot, more snap on his passes. Thus far he's handled whatever has been thrown at him. He needs to keep building on it against stronger competition but they've got to be intrigued by his skillset and that this is his first pre-season. He's got some areas to clean up but most of it IMO requires reps to fully adjust to NHL pace and skill. Maybe his skill could be developed in Hershey with PP time but I'm not sure he'd get that over Ness/Iorio/Priskie/Day anyway. That likely won't be his calling card anyhow.

The forward competition is running out of games halfway through. Advantage McMichael, Malenstyn and Phillips I guess? McMichael more by design than what he's done in games and Malenstyn due in part to waiver status. Who knows? I'm interested how they'll manage the last few games because it's not been great. Protas needs a very strong close. He's been nowhere close to a year ago and waiver status works against him. For now I'd keep the door ajar for Miro, due to the weak competition and them being so invested giving him strong linemates his first game. He needs more burst/fluidity to pan out fully but the physicality and sense plays. I'd at least give him the next game to see if he can build a case.

Mantha needs to show more signs he gets it or else there's no reason to play him. Either push or sit. Dumping him and freeing up the cap space to bank becomes appealing pretty quickly. Where he fits best, what line he meshes well with...we have no clue. The centers have shown some promise but depth wingers seem limited. No one is really pushing Milano or Oshie, who probably both should be in the top six but don't do much for team speed (Oshie especially). A package deal involving Mantha, thinning the herd up front in Hershey a bit and perhaps some futures is a likely play. Phillips did well this game but hard to say how willing they'll be to opt for a smaller, low calorie producer. McMichael & Phillips as 3Ws can work but is pretty light. And a fourth of Malenstyn & NAK could also work but isn't as reliable as usual.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Unless they really add to a Mantha deal I am having trouble identifying a market for him. Presumably they already tried to dump him this offseason, right? Maybe they'll up the price they'd pay to get rid of him if they are still targeting a top 6 forward but it seems more likely they just waive him and save a few hundred thousand if they are only planning on freeing space for one of the young guys to step in. I imagine Mantha will get the rest of the preseason to make a case for himself but if he can't then I'd much rather see Miroshnichenko or Phillips in the lineup.

A few more games left, but right now based on past history and preseason performance I'd like to see something like this:

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson
McMichael-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Milano-Backstrom-Miroshnichenko/Phillips
Protas-Dowd-NAK
Miroshnichenko/Phillips

Sandin-Carlson
Fehervary-Jensen
HHA-TVR
Alexeyev

Mix and match the lines as you wish, but something like the above looks reasonable to me.

I agree barring a big turnaround Mantha doesn't have a place on this roster. I'd waive him if there's no deal to be made.

I think Miroshnichenko and Phillips are neck and neck and I'd like to see them get a few more preseason games each. If it's close I'd favor Miroshnichenko initially until they have to make a decision on his ELC slide. I'm still very interested to see what Phillips can do at the NHL level. Maybe he tops out as an AHL all star but the fact is he's never been given a shot in the NHL and Calgary fans were very upset at Sutter for never giving him an opportunity. I think it's possible Phillips turns into something very useful at the NHL level.

Protas hasn't stood out this preseason but he's had a history of being a cromulent NHLer especially defensively. And NAK despite his adventures in the penalty box is a good 4th liner. I think they should both make the lineup.

I agree I think HHA has or should have the inside track for the 6D spot right now. But I also think Alexeyev makes the team regardless because he's not waiver exempt. He'll probably get his shot in the regular season.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Mantha trade?

Well who are the worthless highly-paid pending UFA's no team wants? There's your swap partner.

Mike Hoffman? Kevin Labanc? Victor Olofsson? Tyler Johnson?

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Mantha trade?

Well who are the worthless highly-paid pending UFA's no team wants? There's your swap partner.

Mike Hoffman? Kevin Labanc? Victor Olofsson? Tyler Johnson?
Some really bad options.

Let’s start by waiving him.

If we add a second for Mantha at 50%, does someone take him?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Are re-entry waivers still a thing? See if anybody wants him at 50% and then let him deal with the news that nobody does with his psychologist.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Re: Protas, he isn't established as a PKer and it's why I think he needs to prove something more compared to Malenstyn. (That and waiver status.) Protas did seem pretty lost in this game when tasked with doing it. Had Malenstyn stayed healthy last year he would have had a solid chance to carve out the 4LW spot. He also needs to prove himself but I tend to doubt they'd risk losing him on waivers.

I hadn't thought much about Miro's contract sliding and doubt they're in a position to play games. It could be that they prefer keeping him close, practicing and training with the team vs. bus rides and a bigger AHL role. I noticed the Bears recently added a Russian with quite a bit of NA experience in Osipov to a PTO, which could aid Miro & Trineyev initially. But as with HHA and to some extent Phillips they've got to be intrigued by initial returns and what could be with further acclimatization.

First step with Mantha is likely waiving him if deemed easily replaceable. Re-entry waivers are gone. He should approach the last few pre-season games as though he's got something to prove. If not, it's been nice. Might as well go with someone that wants it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why force feed Miro? He should be perfectly fine riding buses in AHL. There will be injuries, so just call him up at first chance if he's good enough.

Reactions: Marshall

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I thought Alexeyev had a decent game and preseason overall so far. With that time of lineup in this game for me I weight that.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Waiwing Mantha makes sense if there's a better use of the cap space. Until that's the case it's just bad business. Let him sit, but dont get rid of him without reason.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Waiwing Mantha makes sense if there's a better use of the cap space. Until that's the case it's just bad business. Let him sit, but dont get rid of him without reason.
Consider this: if they can get a team to take Mantha on re-entry even without a better use of the cap now, I think it puts them at a point where they're banking prorated space for the deadline. If they can use that to absorb a cap dump with pick or two at the deadline for some other team, isn't that like using Mantha to make that trade?

I'm not 100% on the cap figures on that but if it's true, do you do it?

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Consider this: if they can get a team to take Mantha on re-entry even without a better use of the cap now, I think it puts them at a point where they're banking prorated space for the deadline. If they can use that to absorb a cap dump with pick or two at the deadline for some other team, isn't that like using Mantha to make that trade?

I'm not 100% on the cap figures on that but if it's true, do you do it?

Yeah that sounds like a good use of the cap space. Im all for it, when the deadline and/or that trade comes around. Good idea. Hope GMBM is listening.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah that sounds like a good use of the cap space. Im all for it, when the deadline and/or that trade comes around. Good idea. Hope GMBM is listening.
The catch is that to best bank the space, sooner is better for losing Mantha at no cost (or 50%)

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Here's what an idiot I am. I actually expected Mantha to at least pretend he was engaged and interested when he played in these first preseason games.

Like I haven't already seen enough of him to know what to expect. SMH. A leopard can't change it's spots.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Here's what an idiot I am. I actually expected Mantha to at least pretend he was engaged and interested when he played in these first preseason games.

Like I haven't already seen enough of him to know what to expect. SMH. A leopard can't change it's spots.
I'm only playing devil's advocate, but maybe it takes him 10-15 games to learn to be a real animal? Like, he thinks he's doing what he can, but you know what it's like when you're playing a sport and you think you're doing the most but you're still actually being comfortable, and then you finally tap into whatever that next level is and you realize you can play more if your brain runs at hyperspeed?

It's one of those things where I feel like if they just challenged him to be Tom Wilson for 10 games he'd suddenly figure it out.

Reactions: YippieKaey

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The catch is that to best bank the space, sooner is better for losing Mantha at no cost (or 50%)
Is it? I might be missing something, but how come?

I'm only playing devil's advocate, but maybe it takes him 10-15 games to learn to be a real animal? Like, he thinks he's doing what he can, but you know what it's like when you're playing a sport and you think you're doing the most but you're still actually being comfortable, and then you finally tap into whatever that next level is and you realize you can play more if your brain runs at hyperspeed?

It's one of those things where I feel like if they just challenged him to be Tom Wilson for 10 games he'd suddenly figure it out.

The frustration is that he could be. He has the same if not better tools as Tom. The toolbox is broken though.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Is it? I might be missing something, but how come?

The frustration is that he could be. He has the same if not better tools as Tom. The toolbox is broken though.
he has better skills than Tom, not tools. His frame is just not the same as Wilson's, his energy and ability to power through checks is nowhere near comparable. That's sometimes not an effort thing, just a strength and leverage thing, and Mantha doesn't have those tools the same way. Only guessing but if you saw them both shirtless Wilson would look pretty cut and Mantha would look like a runner.

I think if he played like he did he might see some limited forward progress but it's hard to say if that's even best for a guy that just wants to work around traffic, and whose body might not hold up at all. It sound stupid and very "benefit of the doubt" but you have to kind of think if he could give 20% more and not hurt himself he'd just do it by now.

I think the move is still to bail on him but he's not the first lanky fool that couldn't manage to be as physical as his size looked like he would be. We've had our own now and then, I don't know exactly what the cause is but some just don't get the NHL game the way their tools should.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
he has better skills than Tom, not tools. His frame is just not the same as Wilson's, his energy and ability to power through checks is nowhere near comparable. That's sometimes not an effort thing, just a strength and leverage thing, and Mantha doesn't have those tools the same way. Only guessing but if you saw them both shirtless Wilson would look pretty cut and Mantha would look like a runner.

I think if he played like he did he might see some limited forward progress but it's hard to say if that's even best for a guy that just wants to work around traffic, and whose body might not hold up at all. It sound stupid and very "benefit of the doubt" but you have to kind of think if he could give 20% more and not hurt himself he'd just do it by now.

I think the move is still to bail on him but he's not the first lanky fool that couldn't manage to be as physical as his size looked like he would be. We've had our own now and then, I don't know exactly what the cause is but some just don't get the NHL game the way their tools should.

Hmm. He might be more injury prone etc but the dude is like 235 pounds. Im 2 inches taller and 15 lbs lighter and im fairly buff so i think body wise he's fine.

I think he just suffers from the same thing i do, a sub-optimal work ethic and lack of die hard attitude. I really think it's a matter of those 20%.

And frankly, if i had gotten the amount of money he has made im not sure how hard of a worker i"d be either so can't blame him. Only difference is he is a world-class athlete in his twenties and im a slightly pudgy 40+ government hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad