GDT: Capitals @ RedWings 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Hmm. He might be more injury prone etc but the dude is like 235 pounds. Im 2 inches taller and 15 lbs lighter and im fairly buff so i think body wise he's fine.

I think he just suffers from the same thing i do, a sub-optimal work ethic and lack of die hard attitude. I really think it's a matter of those 20%.

And frankly, if i had gotten the amount of money he has made im not sure how hard of a worker i"d be either so can't blame him. Only difference is he is a world-class athlete in his twenties and im a slightly pudgy 40+ government hack.

I just need a series of injuries and then i'll be on the 24-25 Caps roster.

• Haha
Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Unless they really add to a Mantha deal I am having trouble identifying a market for him. Presumably they already tried to dump him this offseason, right? Maybe they'll up the price they'd pay to get rid of him if they are still targeting a top 6 forward but it seems more likely they just waive him and save a few hundred thousand if they are only planning on freeing space for one of the young guys to step in. I imagine Mantha will get the rest of the preseason to make a case for himself but if he can't then I'd much rather see Miroshnichenko or Phillips in the lineup.

A few more games left, but right now based on past history and preseason performance I'd like to see something like this:

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson
McMichael-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Milano-Backstrom-Miroshnichenko/Phillips
Protas-Dowd-NAK
Miroshnichenko/Phillips

Sandin-Carlson
Fehervary-Jensen
HHA-TVR
Alexeyev

Mix and match the lines as you wish, but something like the above looks reasonable to me.

I agree barring a big turnaround Mantha doesn't have a place on this roster. I'd waive him if there's no deal to be made.

I think Miroshnichenko and Phillips are neck and neck and I'd like to see them get a few more preseason games each. If it's close I'd favor Miroshnichenko initially until they have to make a decision on his ELC slide. I'm still very interested to see what Phillips can do at the NHL level. Maybe he tops out as an AHL all star but the fact is he's never been given a shot in the NHL and Calgary fans were very upset at Sutter for never giving him an opportunity. I think it's possible Phillips turns into something very useful at the NHL level.

Protas hasn't stood out this preseason but he's had a history of being a cromulent NHLer especially defensively. And NAK despite his adventures in the penalty box is a good 4th liner. I think they should both make the lineup.

I agree I think HHA has or should have the inside track for the 6D spot right now. But I also think Alexeyev makes the team regardless because he's not waiver exempt. He'll probably get his shot in the regular season.

+1 for the use of the word "cromulent"

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
you dont go hard for money, you do it to f*** the opponent and win

This is totally true. Players are either competitive or they aren't. Hockey either evokes a passion to win, or it doesn't. Its why players like Matha are dead weight. And Kuzy is so easily thrown off his game, he's only competitive when things are perfect for him.

We've seen, teams don't win a Cup without all 20 players playing their assess off every shift. No Mantha passengers, and Kuzy needs to care.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This is totally true. Players are either competitive or they aren't. Hockey either evokes a passion to win, or it doesn't. Its why players like Matha are dead weight. And Kuzy is so easily thrown off his game, he's only competitive when things are perfect for him.

We've seen, teams don't win a Cup without all 20 players playing their assess off every shift. No Mantha passengers, and Kuzy needs to care.
This also is why scouts value "compete level" when evaluating prospects. Kids who don't demonstrate a passion for winning... and not just winning, but destroying the opposition... don't have the fire to be difference makers at the highest level.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
There is something to be said about cliche things like "desire" and "determination" and "drive to win".

A lot of us have played sports. i did hockey and lacrosse, playing D3 lacrosse.

Teams I was a bottom player -- I tried hard every second of every shift, fighting for pucks, looking to pass it to the good players asap, being defense oriented and getting back. My brain was "on" every second, i was locked in.

Teams I was best player -- if I was locked from the start, Id have a hatty 5 points and we won. Id go into the boards and win the puck for myself, I was thinking and fighting for every inch or advantage. Other games, maybe a 6 am puck drop in Bennfield or some shit ... Id just skate around, if the puck hit my stick Id wake up with some energy but otherwise i was just puck watching, letting the other guys board battle and hoping the loose puck would bounce to me.

Blows my mind some players can be at this level ... and have the 50/50 commitment of a teenage pothead

Kuzy on ice effort is a slap in the face to the Dowd and Tom Wilsons and Alexander Ovechkins of the world.

Terry McLaurin was crying after yesterday's regular season loss.

Do you think Josh Doctson ever cried about losing a game?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This also is why scouts value "compete level" when evaluating prospects. Kids who don't demonstrate a passion for winning... and not just winning, but destroying the opposition... don't have the fire to be difference makers at the highest level.
Wait….this can’t be found in a spreadsheet?!

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad