Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Lightning 12/9/14 Caps Win 5-3

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I guess I wouldn't agree that kuznentsov is lacking in skill. I would agree on the experience part but experience wasn't part of the quote I was asking about.

You'll note that I pencilled him in as 2RW. I think he belongs in the top 6, certainly over Brouwer, but not at C. Of course we all know who the real answer at 2RW is.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
You'll note that I pencilled him in as 2RW. I think he belongs in the top 6, certainly over Brouwer, but not at C. Of course we all know who the real answer at 2RW is.

jonathan-cheechoo-2006-marice-richard-trophy.jpg

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Brouwer is definitely a prime candidate for an upgrade. But I'm not sure about the final outlook for that line.

Has MJ really established himself as a guy who can make a difference in the top-6? I'm not sure. He does a decent job playing with other skilled players, but.. he remains kind of underwhelming. It's not clear that he can maintain his early shooting/scoring performance.

I'm also not sure about the whole "bring in a 2C and move Kuz to wing thing". I mean, if they manage to snag a truly good 2C, I'm not going to complain -- you can never have enough good centers (same reason why I never understood the problem with keeping MP and then Grabo from the numbers angle).

My concern is that with Caps' love for grindy players, they might bring in a center who is more from a "good/great 3C, unexceptional 2C" variety, which might help in the short term, but doesn't really provide a stable 2nd line solution long term.

And there's a lot to like about continued development of Kuz at 2C -- even if that's not necessarily his permanent spot. I do think he is getting a bit more space and a bit less punishment there, and learning a ton overall. And I am not sure that he can't turn into a good 2C himself...

I guess my feeling is.. I'd only move Kuz to wing if I were confident that i had a 2C who could really play well with skilled wingers.

Would be nice to see Kuz and Bura together on the 2nd line at some point, especially if they could upgrade Brouwer to a more skilled banger.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Brouwer is definitely a prime candidate for an upgrade. But I'm not sure about the final outlook for that line.

Has MJ really established himself as a guy who can make a difference in the top-6? I'm not sure. He does a decent job playing with other skilled players, but.. he remains kind of underwhelming. It's not clear that he can maintain his early shooting/scoring performance.

I'm also not sure about the whole "bring in a 2C and move Kuz to wing thing". I mean, if they manage to snag a truly good 2C, I'm not going to complain -- you can never have enough good centers (same reason why I never understood the problem with keeping MP and then Grabo from the numbers angle).

My concern is that with Caps' love for grindy players, they might bring in a center who is more from a "good/great 3C, unexceptional 2C" variety, which might help in the short term, but doesn't really provide a stable 2nd line solution long term.

And there's a lot to like about continued development of Kuz at 2C -- even if that's not necessarily his permanent spot. I do think he is getting a bit more space and a bit less punishment there, and learning a ton overall. And I am not sure that he can't turn into a good 2C himself...

I guess my feeling is.. I'd only move Kuz to wing if I were confident that i had a 2C who could really play well with skilled wingers.

Would be nice to see Kuz and Bura together on the 2nd line at some point, especially if they could upgrade Brouwer to a more skilled banger.

I don't think Johansson is a difference maker or a long term answer. But I think we should probably punt that decision until the offseason. He should price himself right out of here and we can probably get a decent return for him from someone. Hopefully, Burakovsky makes that decision a no brainer.

The dream is Burakovsky-Vermette-Kuznetsov

I feel like we're pretty much in limbo this season.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
when are we gonna hive johansson credit? he's clearly been our third best forward and is the only player aside from backstrom and OV that has provided consistent offense despite playing with brouwer and a rotation of bura/kuz/fehr/laich?/ward.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
interesting. after that game Bobby Taylor, the long time analyst and the guy that said "you've got to be kidding me", announces his retirement at the end of the season.

so....he was fired. wondering if last night was the last straw

He announced last night? Wow, didn't know that! On the Laich comment there was some back and forth, relevant to the "you have to knock him down there" (cause it was during the replay) but after the "You have to be kidding" comment, it was just silence, until they discussed the replay.. (in case anyone didn't hear) he said the "You have to be kidding me" as the play was happening, live.. It was honest emotion coming out! lol Hate to see someone lose their job over being honest though.. I wish Locher and JoeB would take the rosey glasses off more often..

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
when are we gonna hive johansson credit? he's clearly been our third best forward and is the only player aside from backstrom and OV that has provided consistent offense despite playing with brouwer and a rotation of bura/kuz/fehr/laich?/ward.

It's not about "credit". On balance, he's been good this year. It's about long term projection about who you want in top-6, and whether you are comfortable with MJ in that role..

I think Kuz and Bura will make their way into 2nd line, and if so, Brouwer is clearly not skilled enough to complement, and MJ is a question mark. Although I don't see any harm in trying how Kuz/Bura/MJ look together, either.

But I agree with BCF, there's no rush to make that determination until offseason. And Brouwer is a much more obvious candidate to be upgraded.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
He announced last night? Wow, didn't know that! On the Laich comment there was some back and forth, relevant to the "you have to knock him down there" (cause it was during the replay) but after the "You have to be kidding" comment, it was just silence, until they discussed the replay.. (in case anyone didn't hear) he said the "You have to be kidding me" as the play was happening, live.. It was honest emotion coming out! lol Hate to see someone lose their job over being honest though.. I wish Locher and JoeB would take the rosey glasses off more often..

Locker is just mediocre. I've grown used to him, but he pretty much never comes up with anything insightful. JoeB is fine by me, good pro, neither dumb nor a homer.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It's not about "credit". On balance, he's been good this year. It's about long term projection about who you want in top-6, and whether you are comfortable with MJ in that role..

I think Kuz and Bura will make their way into 2nd line, and if so, Brouwer is clearly not skilled enough to complement, and MJ is a question mark. Although I don't see any harm in trying how Kuz/Bura/MJ look together, either.

But I agree with BCF, there's no rush to make that determination until offseason. And Brouwer is a much more obvious candidate to be upgraded.

Even if everything you hope works out and kuznetsov, burakovksy, wilson, and some other guy are all great, I would still have no problem with mojo on the third line, considering our experiences with lack of depth, injuries, and sudden decline in play I'm not sure i understand the point of view that you can only have 6 good forwards.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Even if everything you hope works out and kuznetsov, burakovksy, wilson, and some other guy are all great, I would still have no problem with mojo on the third line, considering our experiences with lack of depth, injuries, and sudden decline in play I'm not sure i understand the point of view that you can only have 6 good forwards.

I'm not advocating to dump him asap. Just expressing doubt about his long term fit if the Caps are gonna concentrate skill in top-6, while bottom 6 is gonna be grindy.

I think MJ is a much better fit if the Caps try to create 2a and 2b lines around Kuz and Bura respectively. But if 3rd line is grindy, then MJ really only makes sense in top-6, where Bura and Kuz are likely to outperform him, IMO.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Locker is just mediocre. I've grown used to him, but he pretty much never comes up with anything insightful. JoeB is fine by me, good pro, neither dumb nor a homer.

Would love Alan May between the benches doing color and Joe B. can call the game. Similar to the Blues and some other teams set up.

Locker can go bye bye, wouldnt miss him at all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

he announced the next day. Joe B and locker are paid by the team. Its not their job to rip the team.

Vladiator16*

Oh God, now its not just the team, its commentators too? IMO, Locker is awesome, he brings "color" to color commentating, funny with a lot of character.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll miss Bobby Taylor. Guy had a real personality. Plus his voice sounds exactly like Norm McDonald. :laugh:

He's also not fully retiring, just moving to their studio crew. Highly doubt it was a firing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'll miss Bobby Taylor. Guy had a real personality. Plus his voice sounds exactly like Norm McDonald. :laugh:

He's also not fully retiring, just moving to their studio crew. Highly doubt it was a firing.

who knows. i lived down there 1997-2001. that broadcast team is among the most homer teams in the business. peckham is a good enough play guy that not doing a lightning game, he is pretty good. but doing lightning stuff they are as bad as Pittsburgh and Boston.

Of course tonight, those that can get the out of town show can get jeff rimer. the worst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad