AEF
ovechkin-head-down.jpg

r165486_608x342_16-9.jpg

Projected Leafs Lineup

Zachary Hyman - Auston Matthews* - William Nylander
James van Reimsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Mitch Marner
Leo Komarov - Nazem Kadri - Connor Brown
Matt Martin - Brian Boyle - Kasperi Kapanen

*Auston Matthews is on quite the goal scoring streak. Just a couple games ago, a 40 goal season looked like it would come down to game 82, however since then Matthews has scored in 5 straight games, scoring 6 in the process, and is just 1 goal away from reaching the 40 goal plateau.

Morgan Rielly - Connor Carrick
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev*
Matt Hunwick - Roman Polak

*Nikita Zaitsev is rumored to be closing in a long-term deal with the Maple Leafs, and though the NHL saying no-go to the Olympics could change that, it has added extra attention to his game. Nikita Zaitsev has points in 3 straight games, while logging over 20 minutes of ice time in each of those games. Zaitsev is quickly approaching Salming's rookie defensive scoring record

Projected Starter; Curtis McElhinney* [Unconfirmed]

*McBackup was downright brilliant in his sole start during Andersen's injury scare. With the standings so close, it was a big two points, and the Leafs may call on him to try and get another 2 from the league's best team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wouldn't be surprised to see Andersen back in tonight. He had a really easy time last night.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Yup, now knowing that there are likely more games after Sunday, its important for Andersen to not have to play those back2backs.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This is the biggest game of the year. A win, with a Tampa lost, means playoffs. I love it!!!!

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I doubt very much they get this one. Unless the caps sit back and let them, the Leafs will have to wait until later in the week to clinch it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
gamedaycaps.jpg

Tuesday game preview: Washington Capitals at Toronto Maple Leafs

The Capitals are closing in on the Presidents' Trophy.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...shington-capitals-at-toronto-maple-leafs.html

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Mon., April 3, 2017

AIR CANADA CENTRE

PUCK DROP: 7:30 p.m.

TV: TSN 4

RADIO: TSN 1050

KEY PLAYERS

Winnik vs. Kapanen.

This game could feature a sidebar storyline, with two very good fourth lines squaring off against each other. Former Leaf Daniel Winnik, who is playing with Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson, has a career-high 12 goals, one more than in his rookie season in Phoenix nine years. Winnik is now playing for his seventh NHL team. Kasperi Kapanen, like all the Leafs’ young players, brings speed to his game. He’s on the Leafs’ fourth line with Brian Boyle and Matt Martin.

NEED TO KNOW

The Capitals dumped rival Columbus on Sunday to move closer to a Metropolitan Division and a Presidents’ Trophy. They entered Monday five points clear of Pittsburgh and six ahead of the Blue Jackets in their division, and five clear of the Penguins and Chicago for the league’s best record . . . Washington goalie Braden Holtby rebounded from a poor start to stop 35 of 37 shots against the Jackets. Holtby had allowed six goals in his previous start, the most goals he had allowed in a game in four seasons. He was pulled from a November start against the Leafs after allowing three goals on eight shots … Alex Ovechkin was at the centre of a skirmish after he laid a hard hit on rookie Columbus defenceman Zach Werenski.

UP NEXT

Thursday, vs. Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.

C8iZ35eW0AIWM55.jpg:large

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No word of a lie. if Mitch + Will overtake Laine - would our kiddos go 1-2-3 in Rookie voting?
I think the Leafs will hold their own vs. Washington. Just get a point though in this . Go for the win, obviously but secure a point.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Willy and Mitch 2 points shy of Laine. If they both passed him in the final 4 games it would have to be some kind of record having 1 team own all 3 of the top 3 rookies in scoring?

JVR 2 points shy of hitting 60 so we can finally call him a 60 pt winger because apparently only hitting 60 1 time in your career isn't enough to call you a 60 pt winger :sarcasm:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Do it tonight boys. Clinch (relies on Boston winning of course).

Lets gooooooo

I know that a Tampa loss helps us clinch a spot, but I would still rather Boston loses. I really, really want home-ice against Ottawa. That means Boston has to finish behind us both.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
No word of a lie. if Mitch + Will overtake Laine - would our kiddos go 1-2-3 in Rookie voting?
I think the Leafs will hold their own vs. Washington. Just get a point though in this . Go for the win, obviously but secure a point.

Its not all about points, or else a forward would win it every year. I think werenski and murray are both more deserving of consideration over nylander and marner soley due to the fact that werenski has been tearing it up as a 19 year old defenceman and murray has been lights out for Pittsburgh all season. In any other year though, I'd say they are all deserving of a calder

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
First game in a while where special team advantage goes to the opposition.

Special team numbers:

Leafs home..........PP 20.7% .......PK 79.7% ....... Total 100.4
Capitals away ......PP 25.7% .......PK 81.5% ....... Total 107.2

Leafs shorties for 6 ........ shorties against 6 ...... +0
Caps shorties for 2 ...... shorties against 2 ...... +0

Shorties for = goals we score when we are Short handed
Shorties against = goals scored against us when we are on the PP

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Last night wasn't exactly an exhausting game .. Maybe they'll have enough in the tank to grind this one out. Hope McBackup brings it again.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Unless the Caps have a off game I think this will be a tough one. Games where a team on a back to back vs a rested team do not generally go well (see last night as prime example).

Maybe could sneak out a point... but I am not losing any sleep over this one. Hoping for a solid effort and let the chips fall where they may.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks to Cor.., for the GDT... and to Budsfan.., for the updates..

Bart%20Leafs%20Rule.gif

"Let's keep this train rolling fast, down the track for the remaining games.., Boys..!" :handclap: :yo:
giphy.gif

Stand Witness (The Boys Are Back): Toronto Maple Leafs 2016-17 Season Pump (HD)

GoLeafsGO.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad