Rumor: Capitals interested in goalie MAF

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not sure on this one but in the playoffs you need a guy who can limit the softies and come up big during crunch time or when he loses his defensive support...at least more than the competition.

Are Sammy and VV that kind of goalie? Any time you have a young or nervy goaltender you're going to have lapses that can tip this balance.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
maybe Sammy being behind maf could be a huge thing. Can learn from a 1st ballot hall of famer. that means something too.

right now vv and Sammy both have zero goalie veteran leadership - and a poor goalie coach leading them

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
If he's good, then he steals games for us. If he's bad, he still is probably better than Sammy and Vitek. Sounds like a win win, go get him

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Trading a 2nd for Kovy after passing on him on waivers a month before and him being washed reminds me of this. Also shows GMBM will do moves like this

Remember the Hawks got MAF for free this offseason

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's been a while since MAF has had a laugher of a postseason. His last postseason where he saved below expectation was 2013-14 in Pittsburgh. Since then his Fenwick save percentage above expected in the postseason:

YeardFSv%
2008+1.41
2009-0.67
2010-2.93
2011-1.32
2012-4.63
2013-1.99
2014-0.15
2015+1.12
2017+0.38
2018+1.10
2019+0.60
2020+0.09
2021+1.05
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It's a good trend, and one Washington would hope continues if they acquire him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
maybe Sammy being behind maf could be a huge thing. Can learn from a 1st ballot hall of famer. that means something too.

right now vv and Sammy both have zero goalie veteran leadership - and a poor goalie coach leading them

Assuming it's a learning issue.....I think maybe he's just lacking in "the stuff" to be a true #1.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A lateral move on the ice, at what cost in terms of assets?

It just feels very, what's the word I'm looking for here, "Capitally", to make the trade and get the beach ball version. Like the Jagr trade, or most of our other big name trades in the past.

In terms of production he could provide. He's probably no worse than an equal performance (compared to what we have now) with the chance he could steal games/series if he's on.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
MAF is definitely an upgrade over the two goaltenders we have currently. Vitek had played better of late, but he still lets in some questionable goals and is not someone we should be relying on to try and win a playoff series.

He’s also the main reason the Pens won their second of back to back cups as Murray was hurt until the ECF. And he was a big reason that Vegas went to the SCF.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Got them from moneypuck. I accidentally looked at 5v5 2.15 xGA (2nd) For all situations it’s 2.65 (3rd) and Caps at 1th with 2.56.
The table layout is easy to quickly look something up quickly, but the numbers are significant different. That’s not good.

Interesting results. I usually don't look at Moneypuck because I dislike their layout.

Rankings usually aren't as important than the raw numbers, but even so it looks like Moneypuck's xG model differs quite a bit with other models such as from Evolving Hockey and Natural Stat Trick. Doesn't make them any better or worse, just interesting to note that Chicago's defense looks better under Moneypuck than other teams do. I know they do a few things differently, mainly in terms of weighing "flurry shots" and other shot types differently, but neat results.

I still think I like the idea of Fleury mainly because his results have been very good over the past several years and because he has been healthy. Obviously full retention (or double retention) would be needed, and I don't want to sell the farm for him, but it is true to note that he has been quite average at best this year in Chicago.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
How are considerably worse defensively? There expected goals against/60 is lower then the Caps. 2nd lowest in the league after Boston. They are not good because they have the worst offense in the league.

I don’t think I will like the price for a rental with worse numbers then Vanacek.

Expected goals against, huh? As opposed to ACTUAL goals against.

Chicago have played one less game and given up 19 more goals than the Caps. They're worse defensively. I don't need advanced / make believe stats to tell me that

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd take that with a grain of salt, it's just speculation, MAF never said anything about refusing a trade to Washington.
If it's true, then screw him and let's go get someone else.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Expected goals against, huh? As opposed to ACTUAL goals against.

Chicago have played one less game and given up 19 more goals than the Caps. They're worse defensively. I don't need advanced / make believe stats to tell me that

You know what the difference between the two is?

Goaltending!

Meanwhile MAF having another bad one today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad