TSN: Capitals interested in Ethan Bear for a 2 year deal around 2 mil

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
On a personal level, I always like Ethan Bear when he was with the Canes. From a hockey perspective, woof he was only slightly better than Dylan Coghlan, who's worse than TDA defensively (without the offensive gifts).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1702608733307.png

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
Depends on how much credence Chris Johnston of TSN has. @ 1:58m mark. Insider Trading: The latest on Kyle Connor - Video - TSN

Here are Johnston’s full words on the move:

The final details and some of the logistics are still being ironed out but it does appear that Ethan Bear will join the Washington Capitals and they emerged among a group of teams that included his former team, the Vancouver Canucks. I think the Maple Leafs at least inquired there too and some others but [the Capitals] offered him a two-year contract and it looks like that two-year deal will come in the neighborhood of $2 million once it’s completed. Bear, of course, is coming off of shoulder surgery in the offseason from an injury suffered last year at the World Hockey Championship while playing for Team Canada. The opportunity to play somewhere like Washington with a little bit of security ultimately is going to be what takes him to DC.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, I agree it seems likely.. but this was posted Tuesday and it's Thursday and no ink on paper. I like my signing threads to start with an official tweet saying 'we've signed... '

FTR.. I think it's a bad idea for Bear and Caps. Their Right side is fine and he needs to get NHL minutes to get back on track.

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
Yeah, I agree it seems likely.. but this was posted Tuesday and it's Thursday and no ink on paper. I like my signing threads to start with an official tweet saying 'we've signed... '

FTR.. I think it's a bad idea for Bear and Caps. Their Right side is fine and he needs to get NHL minutes to get back on track.
For the Caps it will be a 26 yr old in and a 30 something out.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
What happened with Ethan Bear, did the deal with the Caps fall apart or did someone not do proper reporting and there was no deal to begin with?

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017
What happened with Ethan Bear, did the deal with the Caps fall apart or did someone not do proper reporting and there was no deal to begin with?
I imagine it won't actually become official until he is ready to play, since insurance is paying him right now... likely more than he will be making once he signs.

Reactions: Silky mitts

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Apparently done.

Bear isn't quite ready to play yet though, so i'd assume Capitals are going to delay the signing until he's ready because they have to send D to waivers or trade one when the contract is officially signed.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Apparently done.

Bear isn't quite ready to play yet though, so i'd assume Capitals are going to delay the signing until he's ready because they have to send D to waivers or trade one when the contract is officially signed.
Lucas Johansen is whom they would probably try to pass through waivers. He has only played 9 NHL games over 3 seasons and is pretty much a 1st round bust. $763k cap hit and a RFA. If someone wants to pick him up off waivers, it helps the Caps not worry much about giving him a qualifying offer next season.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Lucas Johansen is whom they would probably try to pass through waivers. He has only played 9 NHL games over 3 seasons and is pretty much a 1st round bust. $763k cap hit and a RFA. If someone wants to pick him up off waivers, it helps the Caps not worry much about giving him a qualifying offer next season.
Good call.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
So from what I read from RMNB site, Bear has already been spotted at the Caps practice facility. His contract will most likely be 2 years @ $2 million per year. I'm not sure if some ppl thought he was only getting $2 million total for 2 years. So Bear is taking a $200k discount off his last contract with the Canucks and his new contract will probably be something similar to when Oilers GM Ken Holland gave Bear a 2 year deal for $4 million total.

Last edited:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hope it goes well for Bear. Caps fans will be ok so long as their expectations are reasonable. He’s a bottom pairing/7th defenseman coming off rehab. He is somewhat mobile but just average in terms of speed. He’s an adequate puck mover. More passer than carrier. Undersized for a D man but won’t shy away from contact. Defensive awareness and coverage is probably below average. If he was a LH shot honestly he wouldn’t be in the NHL. Decent depth acquisition.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
Hope it goes well for Bear. Caps fans will be ok so long as their expectations are reasonable. He’s a bottom pairing/7th defenseman coming off rehab. He is somewhat mobile but just average in terms of speed. He’s an adequate puck mover. More passer than carrier. Undersized for a D man but won’t shy away from contact. Defensive awareness and coverage is probably below average. If he was a LH shot honestly he wouldn’t be in the NHL. Decent depth acquisition.
Our current youth D entries (Johansen, Alexeyev, HKA) have underperformed in an effort to supplant the aging veteran core. So we've gone shopping (Sandin, Bear) to get the job done.

Would expect trade deadline dump of another aging vet for overpayment for #4/5/6 for a team that's in the Cup hunt.. Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad