GDT: Capitals @ Devils, 7:00 PM, Jaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wait...are you trying to tell me that you think Schneider was good here?

He couldn't win games. The guy had 115 wins here in 7 years.

Check this out...in Schneider's first 3 years (pretty much the best of his time here) he had a combined .924 SV% 2.14 GAA in 169 starts. He won 69 games....in 169 starts.

Blackwood has a career .907 2.93 GAA and has won 58 games in 128 starts.

Schneider's first 3 years the Devils were still playing very sound defensively. Blackwood's last 3 seasons were on some of the worst Devils team in their history... Blackwood is winning about 5% more games right now than the best we got from Cory...

You can ooh and aah over the sv% but the guy was a loser just look at his career the wins.

Now the best part of this... your only rebuttal can possibly be how the team didn't score enough for Cory. Which is 100% true but it sort of highlights how irrelevant the goaltender is in the only meaningful stat in all of sports. Wins.
Schneider was amazing his first 3 years here.

His last 4 years here (he barely played here in year 4 and for good reason) were very bad (not like Blackwood’s last two years and the start of this one) and I was a huge proponent of doing away with Schneider about a year before we did away with him.

In fact, I was probably the first one in the fall of 2018 that used that B word (buyout) and suggested it was going to need to happen.

Yes, wins that’s exactly what you did in 2013-2014 when Schneider performed better than you said he would. The goal posts were moved to “It’s all about wins and the goalie with the inferior save percentage has more”.

If anything, Blackwood’s last two years have made me feel a little better than about the broken down twilight versions of both Brodeur and Schneider. Even Keith Kinkaid’s last 60 games here were not nearly as bad as Blackwood’s last 60 games to date. And Kinkaid was a goalie of very limited ability.

And once again, Blackwood’s last 17 or 18 regular season starts (I think it’s 17) are not too far off from Schneider’s putrid calendar year long winless streak in the regular season. The biggest difference in Blackwood has managed to win some games in that stretch, including one where he allowed 5 goals.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Used to think we were unlucky facing backups that Freaky Friday into Jacques Plante for a night, but now I know these guys are just shit finishers.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

His last 4 years here (he barely played here in year 4 and for good reason) were very bad (not like Blackwood’s last two years and the start of this one) and I was a huge proponent of doing away with Schneider about a year before we did away with him.

In fact, I was probably the first one in the fall of 2018 that used that B word (buyout) and suggested it was going to need to happen.

Yes, wins that’s exactly what you did in 2013-2014 when Schneider performed better than you said he would. The goal posts were moved to “It’s all about wins and the goalie with the inferior save percentage has more”.

If anything, Blackwood’s last two years have made me feel a little better than about the broken down twilight versions of both Brodeur and Schneider. Even Keith Kinkaid’s last 60 games here were not nearly as bad as Blackwood’s last 60 games to date. And Kinkaid was a goalie of very limited ability.

And once again, Blackwood’s last 17 or 18 regular season starts (I think it’s 17) are not too far off from Schneider’s putrid calendar year long winless streak in the regular season. The biggest difference in Blackwood has managed to win some games in that stretch, including one where he allowed 5 goals.
Schneider's first 3 years were amazing and Blackwood has been better at winning games than Cory in those first 3 years...why and how?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the hughes - shara - mercer line obviously isn’t working at all and last night the cracks started to show for hughes. they need to get him going asap and if those lines are the same tonight i’m going to scream

oh im sorry i didn’t mean to step on a very relevant cory schneider session

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
the hughes - shara - mercer line obviously isn’t working at all and last night the cracks started to show for hughes. they need to get him going asap and if those lines are the same tonight i’m going to scream

Maybe double shifting him for 3 games straight isn’t the move, there’s an idea for Ruff.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I would never bring up that loser, don't blame me.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Maybe double shifting him for 3 games straight isn’t the move, there’s an idea for Ruff.

Hughes wasn't double-shifted for 3 straight games. Yes, Hughes got 23 minutes in Games 1 and 2, that is a high amount given the scores of the games. Ruff already scaled back last night giving him 17 minutes, and that was happening long before the score got out of hand; Hughes did not play a whole lot in the 1st period. Throw in the first PP unit sitting after that Bratt giveaway and that's why the ice time is so low.

11-7 has been fine the way they've been doing it, but Smith doesn't need to be in against the Wings and Wood shouldn't be playing above the 4th line.

Reactions: Azathoth

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I am glad I missed the game. We are just a goaltender away from the playoffs. Too bad it's just the one guy dragging us down. I'm sure xGA probably tells the story of this one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Stop playing irresponsibly for starters?
You realize Demko's numbers (0-4-1, 4.06, .872):are worse than Blackwood's (3-2, 2.81, .871) ?
How about start playing your starter for starters? Or stop playing your backup for starters. #Vanecek

Well, I'm kind of just busting balls a little bit with that one, but he's our only hope at respectability. It is Vanecek or BUST at this point.

Demko's numbers are worse than Blackwood's? They look about the same? Oh, I get it. WINZZZZ! Blackwood has more WINZ! He also has a GAA of 1 and a quarter per game lower, but that's a testament to how few shots he's faced/we allow.

And yes, Demko's numbers the last 5 games are as bad as Blackwood's, yes. Demko's last 60 games are nowhere near as bad as Blackwood's. I'm about to show you the list of guys that have been as bad or worse than Blackwood since February 20th of 2021 with a minimum of 10 games played (as soon as as I can copy and paste it) and let me tell you, SPOILER ALERT: that's some list of goalies. You'd be happy to know one of them is not David Rittich, although he ain't too much further ahead than Blackwood.

Demko does have a lower expected goals, but his GSAA (league average save percentage) is also lower than his GSAx, which would suggest he would still be below league save percentage, which Blackwood also would be this year, as I've already said. Not by as much as he is, but below the league average, yes. This was not the case last year though, but it is in this 5 game season he's played so far.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Hughes wasn't double-shifted for 3 straight games. Yes, Hughes got 23 minutes in Games 1 and 2, that is a high amount given the scores of the games. Ruff already scaled back last night giving him 17 minutes, and that was happening long before the score got out of hand; Hughes did not play a whole lot in the 1st period. Throw in the first PP unit sitting after that Bratt giveaway and that's why the ice time is so low.

11-7 has been fine the way they've been doing it, but Smith doesn't need to be in against the Wings and Wood shouldn't be playing above the 4th line.
Thanks for the clarifications! Thought I saw his TOI as higher than that last night. Regardless, he looks kind of beat.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He's a young buck man. More like him weighing 160 and getting beat the hell around last game. If a player says 'too much icetime" then its gonna be tough for him to be THE guy.

I've never said anything bad about Jack, I love the guy. But these bigger teams really expose the scary bit about our forwards.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He's a young buck man. More like him weighing 160 and getting beat the hell around last game. If a player says 'too much icetime" then its gonna be tough for him to be THE guy.

I've never said anything bad about Jack, I love the guy. But these bigger teams really expose the scary bit about our forwards.

Even without Jack, the Devils had the run of play last night. Not scared at all.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
the hughes - shara - mercer line obviously isn’t working at all and last night the cracks started to show for hughes. they need to get him going asap and if those lines are the same tonight i’m going to scream.
How exactly are you fixing that? Who are you putting with Hughes...Tatar? Haula? I doubt they're splitting up the top line.

And I was ripped apart for saying we had no forward depth for this very reason in the off-season. A slow start for Sharangovich and all of a sudden we have one line. Deja Vu.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
How exactly are you fixing that? Who are you putting with Hughes...Tatar? Haula? I doubt they're splitting up the top line.

And I was ripped apart for saying we had no forward depth for this very reason in the off-season. A slow start for Sharangovich and all of a sudden we have one line. Deja Vu.
Palat - Hughes - Holtz
Rango - Nico - Bratt

I’d like to see that

Reactions: Sgt Brylin

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
How about start playing your starter for starters? Or stop playing your backup for starters. #Vanecek

Well, I'm kind of just busting balls a little bit with that one, but he's our only hope at respectability. It is Vanecek or BUST at this point.

Demko's numbers are worse than Blackwood's? They look about the same? Oh, I get it. WINZZZZ! Blackwood has more WINZ! He also has a GAA of 1 and a quarter per game lower, but that's a testament to how few shots he's faced/we allow.

And yes, Demko's numbers the last 5 games are as bad as Blackwood's, yes. Demko's last 60 games are nowhere near as bad as Blackwood's. I'm about to show you the list of guys that have been as bad or worse than Blackwood since February 20th of 2021 with a minimum of 10 games played (as soon as as I can copy and paste it) and let me tell you, SPOILER ALERT: that's some list of goalies.

Demko does have a lower expected goals, but his GSAA (league average save percentage) is also lower than his GSAx, which would suggest he would still be below league save percentage, which Blackwood also would be this year, as I've already said. Not by as much as he is, but below the league average, yes. This was not the case last year though, but it is in this 5 game season he's played so

I’m not gonna kill him too much for starting him last night. He was good for 3 games, but that was merely smoke and mirrors. We got the good ole market correction last night to compensate.

Now if we either win or if we lose and Vanecek plays good tonight, he needs to get the next start on Friday. And he needs to get some rope now. We gave Blackwood his rope by starting him opening night despite Vitek being the significantly better preseason goalie.

The time to f*** around is over. They will be calling for Ruff’s head again before the road trip if things go bad. Playing Blackwood probably means things will go bad again.

I think Lindy is much closer to the end of his job than you think. I don’t think it’s gonna take 25 games or 7-8 in a row without a win. The fans are already turning him, they’re already turning on Blackwood with the Bronx cheer (they did to that to Cory once in 18-19 and they didn’t run him out of town or turn on him forever), people are fed up.

Too bad we can’t run Blackwood out of town before Ruff. That’s he needs to go. And it’s just as much for him as it is for us. He has no chance of resurrecting his career here. At best he’s Steve Mason at the end of his time in Columbus.

Oh, and the way, color me skeptical that Vanecek actually starts tonight.

Hahaha. I sometime think you immediately forget what happens during games when it comes to goaltenders. The only market correction last night was or team reverting to form and giving up glorious chances with guys walking in alone. Never mind the goals which were all off of glorious breakdowns and giveaways... How about the Ovechkin breakaways and backdoor tapins he actually stopped.

Vanacek would have given up 8, and I frigging called this after last game.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be on Severson for doing his Severson things. Or Bratt for his beautiful Sheary assist, or any other of about 20 benchable moments for a variety of players last night... Or the fact that our little stars always get alligator arms around big teams, or that our #1OA saviour can't eat an extra 240secinds on the ice five games into the season when McDavid could play half games during the playoffs.

Somehow we are talking about Cory Schneider and wishing we could throw Demko into this mess bc he would have only given up 5 instead of 6 last night, I guess.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017

yeah i would try holtz there, and either bratt or palat on that wing.

then you can either do nico-bratt-shara or nico-mercer-palat

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I just saw Ruff’s comments about Jack’s game. I agree. He definitely had a bad game…and yeah, some games you might just not have it, but when you realize you don’t, you can’t try to continue to force plays - you need to simplify.

I want Ruff gone, but there are definitely elements of his coaching style that I like. From his comments it sounds like he doesn’t want Jack to stifle his offense and creativity if Jack is on his game; however, you also need to recognize if it’s just not working for you that night and at that point just simplify.

The same definitely could have been said for Bratt last night too.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Because I'm too much of an amateur that I don't know how to embed this table into my post directly from the website, I'll just paste the link, but I'll list the goalies that have been WORSE than Blackwood since February 20th of 2021. This is with a minimum of 10 games played, which is a more than fair benchmark to use.

Carter Hutton - Retired as of the end of the 2021-2022 season

Cayden Primeau - AHL goalie

Ryan Miller - Retired as of the end of the 2020-2021 season

Joey Daccord - AHL goalie and a career/veteran one at that and can't stick in the league and has been a constant waiver wire pass around

Andrew Hammond - 34 year old Long time veteran AHL goalie, now playing overseas

Jonas Johansson - Veteran AHL goalie that can't stick in the league

Curtis McElhinney - Retired as of the end of the 2020-2021 season

Aaron Dell - 33 year old AHL goalie that washed out of the league after not a very long NHL career, several years ago

Erik Kallgren - AHL goalie

Joonas Korpisalo - the one NHL constant

Jon Gillies - Veteran career AHL goalie

Malcolm Subban - BUSTED first round pick from 10 years ago that got NHL jobs because of it, started this year in the AHL for the first time in a while

Devan Dubnyk - Hasn't played in the NHL as of the end of the 2020-2021 season

Mackenzie Blackwood

And then you got Sam Montembeault right after Blackwood, who's only here (meaning the NHL) for the tank and because Price isn't healthy

Out of these goalies only Blackwood (60 games) and Korpisalo (43 games) have played at least more than 25 games and Montembeault has played exactly 40, but he's still slightly ahead of Blackwood since that date.

The only others that have played 20 or more games on this list are Jon Gillies with 20 (only 19 of them were here) and Jonas Johansson with 25 and he's played for 3 different teams over this time getting continuously shuffled in and out of waivers.

It's amazing how many of these guys are now either retired or out of the NHL due to either age or just because they can't get jobs anymore and then Subban has been relegated to starting this year in the AHL for the first time in 5 or 6 years now.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

And yes, Demko's numbers the last 5 games are as bad as Blackwood's, yes. Demko's last 60 games are nowhere near as bad as Blackwood's. I'm about to show you the list of guys that have been as bad or worse than Blackwood since February 20th of 2021 with a minimum of 10 games played (as soon as as I can copy and paste it) and let me tell you, SPOILER ALERT: that's some list of goalies.

Demko does have a lower expected goals, but his GSAA (league average save percentage) is also lower than his GSAx, which would suggest he would still be below league save percentage, which Blackwood also would be this year, as I've already said. Not by as much as he is, but below the league average, yes. This was not the case last year though, but it is in this 5 game season he's played so

Outside of being a SV% darling, he was never a complete, good goaltender. Vancouver fans knew that and said as much when they dealt him to us, and he proved it. Couldn't read the game, couldn't control his rebounds, couldn't handle the puck, couldn't control play by freezing the puck. And it showed in the results bc we couldn't win with him in net. And yet somehow, miraculously for you, bc SV% said so, it was the team play that was different! Lol. He was never anything above an average goalie despite how hard he made everything look.

Because I'm too much of an amateur that I don't know how to embed this table into my post directly from the website, I'll just paste the link, but I'll list the goalies that have been WORSE than Blackwood since February 20th of 2021. This is with a minimum of 10 games played, which is a more than fair benchmark to use.

Carter Hutton - Retired as of the end of the 2021-2022 season

Cayden Primeau - AHL goalie

Ryan Miller - Retired as of the end of the 2020-2021 season

Joey Daccord - AHL goalie and a career/veteran one at that and can't stick in the league and has been a constant waiver wire pass around

Andrew Hammond - 34 year old Long time veteran AHL goalie, now playing overseas

Jonas Johansson - Veteran AHL goalie that can't stick in the league

Curtis McElhinney - Retired as of the end of the 2020-2021 season

Aaron Dell - 33 year old AHL goalie that washed out of the league after not a very long NHL career, several years ago

Erik Kallgren - AHL goalie

Joonas Korpisalo - the one NHL constant

Jon Gillies - Veteran career AHL goalie

Malcolm Subban - BUSTED first round pick from 10 years ago that got NHL jobs because of it, started this year in the AHL for the first time in a while

Devan Dubnyk - Hasn't played in the NHL as of the end of the 2020-2021 season

Mackenzie Blackwood

And then you got Sam Montembeault right after Blackwood, who's only here (meaning the NHL) for the tank and because Price isn't healthy

Out of these goalies only Blackwood (60 games) and Korpisalo (43 games) have played at least more than 25 games and Montembeault has played exactly 40, but he's still slightly ahead of Blackwood since that date.

The only others that have played 20 or more games on this list are Jon Gillies with 20 (only 19 of them were here) and Jonas Johansson with 25 and he's played for 3 different teams over this time getting continuously shuffled in and out of waivers.

It's amazing how many of these guys are now either retired or out of the NHL due to either age or just because they can't get jobs anymore and then Subban has been relegated to starting this year in the AHL for the first time in 5 or 6 years now.
Wow. And all this bc..a weak stat says so.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hahaha. I sometime think you immediately forget what happens during games when it comes to goaltenders. The only market correction last night was or team reverting to form and giving up glorious chances with guys walking in alone. Never mind the goals which were all off of glorious breakdowns and giveaways... How about the Ovechkin breakaways and backdoor tapins he actually stopped.

Vanacek would have given up 8, and I frigging called this after last game.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be on Severson for doing his Severson things. Or Bratt for his beautiful Sheary assist, or any other of about 20 benchable moments for a variety of players last night... Or the fact that our little stars always get alligator arms around big teams, or that our #1OA saviour can't eat an extra 240secinds on the ice five games into the season when McDavid could play half games during the playoffs.

Somehow we are talking about Cory Schneider and wishing we could throw Demko into this mess bc he would have only given up 5 instead of 6 last night, I guess.
Blackwood has been tragically bad for 60 games now. I posted the goalie that have been worse than him since that date (with a minimum 10 games played).

It's pretty much Vanecek or tank at this point. Either Vanecek is our only hope and helps us or it's another throwaway year.

It might still be a throw away year with Vanecek, but lets not waste a year on a guy that isn't even signed for next year and has been really more tragically bad than hilariously bad the last 60 games he's played in the league.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Some of you should try watching an out of town game like it was a Devils game, just as an experiment for yourself. Pretend that whatever team is playing the Rangers is the Devils, and watch like you would the Devils. Try to count the number of good chances they give up.

Outside of being a SV% darling, he was never a complete, good goaltender. Vancouver fans knew that and said as much when they dealt him to us, and he proved it. Couldn't read the game, couldn't control his rebounds, couldn't handle the puck, couldn't control play by freezing the puck. And it showed in the results bc we couldn't win with him in net. And yet somehow, miraculously for you, bc SV% said so, it was the team play that was different! Lol. He was never anything above an average goalie despite how hard he made everything look.

lol. just lol, man. If you can't control your rebounds, you don't end up with a good SV%. The Devils won 27 games out of the 58 he played in 2015-16 with the worst offense in the league. I know you don't see these anymore but jfc, imagine believing this fairy tale shit.

• Love
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Wow. And all this bc..a weak stat says so.
Good to know

Blackwood isn't bad because you said so

I'm glad you have faith in Blackwood. Unfortunately, so does this organization.

I think I'm 26 years old. I'm not going to acknowledge my actual age because a weak birth certificate and drivers license say so.

I'm definitely younger than someone born in 1996, even though I was born way before that.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Rango - Nico - Bratt

I’d like to see that
This or load up 63 and 86 together on one line

As for Mac, I honestly think the team should cut ties with him. He isn’t the solution. What I saw last night was terrifying. He could not track the puck at all and his movement and placement on the Ovi goal was pathetic. Why he didn’t position himself to the right side of the paint when he had ample time to do so is beyond me. That allowed an easy goal for anyone in that spot, let alone Ovi. (The shot wasn’t even that good also, thats a bread basket shot for any other goalie in proper position)

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
This or load up 63 and 86 together on one line

As for Mac, I honestly think the team should cut ties with him. He isn’t the solution. What I saw last night was terrifying. He could not track the puck at all and his movement and placement on the Ovi goal was pathetic. Why he didn’t position himself to the right side of the paint when he had ample time to do so is beyond me. That allowed an easy goal for anyone in that spot, let alone Ovi. (The shot wasn’t even that good also)
Agreed. Regardless of the turnovers last night, 5 goals on 18 shots is just… horrible. 0.722%. Yiiikkkeeessss. And thing is, it’s not a one off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino