Rumor: Capitals close to deal with John Carlson

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
9 million for 8 years.

Carlson is just below the top tier. That top tier is about to get UFA cash of around 11 million (Doughty and Karlsson).

He just led their D to not only be the top scoring Dman this year, but to win the cup. His cap number will NOT start with a 7, period. It could be with an 8 if he's generous, but imo if it is, it will be very close to 9. Burns' deal adjusted for inflation is a cap hit of 8.8

over 9.0 is also very possible. Eichel got RFA cash of 9.5

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think he's as impact a player st even strength as guys like Orlov and Niskanen but his shot and skills on the PP are deadly

He's gonna get pretty overpaid but I think it's better than letting him walk

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
9 million for 8 years.

Carlson is just below the top tier. That top tier is about to get UFA cash of around 11 million (Doughty and Karlsson).

He just led their D to not only be the top scoring Dman this year, but to win the cup. His cap number will NOT start with a 7, period. It could be with an 8 if he's generous, but imo if it is, it will be very close to 9. Burns' deal adjusted for inflation is a cap hit of 8.8

over 9.0 is also very possible. Eichel got RFA cash of 9.5

IF JT gets 11m,,, EK/Dough will get more seeing it will be 1 year later and both norris level RHSD the rarest of rare things.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Except you are 100% wrong. There’s a reason Carlson is not considered a top tier defenseman.
Says who? A lot of teams would be lining up to sign him(some would even find a way to make salary cap room for him) if he becomes available. I will add Paul Coffee(HOF) needed a more defensive partner to help him out. Letang, who I dislike very much, is a great offensive d-man but far worse than Carlson, defensively. Carlson is not elite like a Doughty/Hedman, but he's still top tier.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Carlson getting Subban money would be a disgusting look into where the future of the NHL is going.
How? It’s not like right away he’ll be $4mil overpaid at 8.

Salary Cap keeps going up, salaries keep going up. It still won’t look great at the end, but it won’t be as bad as $8mil for Orpik would be at the current salary cap.

Last edited:

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Not going to lie. I hate Washington but I love Ovi.

Would be kind of sick to see Washington win BTB. I don’t think they can... but man, would that be one for the ages in 2020.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's 29 in January. This is a scenario where the 8th year could be very advantageous because he'll be almost 37 at the end of his contract, so that extra year of money can be looked at as something that isn't a given.

If the Capitals are offering 8 x 8, that's similar to almost 9.15M x 7 on the open market in terms of guaranteed money. Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the AAV come down a bit lower than people are expecting. Maybe something like 7.5M AAV x 8 years.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
You knew John Carlson was gonna stay in Washington but I think they got to let Beagle walk to Free Agency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad