GDT: Capitals @ Blues - Halak returns to STL and won't play

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Wait, what? Clemmensen? lol, he's absolutely atrocious. You can't even rely on him for one start.

From 2008-12 he had 4 consecutive seasons of being a really good backup. He's fallen off with the dumpster fire in Florida the last two seasons, but he's got it in him.

Take a look at some of the backups for playoff teams in the league. Jeff Zatkoff, Cam Talbot, Martin Jones, Anti Raanta, Chad Johnson, Alex Stalock.

Backup goalie is not, nor should it be, a valued position. Lockerroom influence is probably as important a trait as any for a backup goaltender.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
From 2008-12 he had 4 consecutive seasons of being a really good backup. He's fallen off with the dumpster fire in Florida the last two seasons, but he's got it in him.

Take a look at some of the backups for playoff teams in the league. Jeff Zatkoff, Cam Talbot, Martin Jones, Anti Raanta, Chad Johnson, Alex Stalock.

Backup goalie is not, nor should it be, a valued position. Lockerroom influence is probably as important a trait as any for a backup goaltender.

Backup goalies are valued positions when your starter is inconsistent and your team is a fringe playoff team.

Zatkoff, Talbot, Jones, Raanta, Johnson, and Stalock all have experienced, proven #1s in front of them and a very good TEAM in front of them as well, two things we don't necessarily have.

At the very least, I think we need a top-tier backup for one season to see if Holtby can go back to the Holtby of old or if this year's Holtby is what it is. Going into a season with Holtby/Clemmensen/Grubauer could get ugly, quick.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Which of those guys were penciled in as their team's back-ups at the start of the season? Zatkoff, Jones, Talbot, and Raanta all came in after goaltenders ahead of them were injured (Vokoun), retired (Biron), or sucked (Khabibulin). None of them were plan A for their team's back-up option. Beyond that, at least Talbot and Jones earned their spots over other players. Jones forced Scrivens out of town, and Talbot was starting ahead of Lundqvist for stretches of the season (after also leapfrogging Missiaen).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Backup goalies are valued positions when your starter is inconsistent and your team is a fringe playoff team.

Zatkoff, Talbot, Jones, Raanta, Johnson, and Stalock all have experienced, proven #1s in front of them and a very good TEAM in front of them as well, two things we don't necessarily have.

At the very least, I think we need a top-tier backup for one season to see if Holtby can go back to the Holtby of old or if this year's Holtby is what it is. Going into a season with Holtby/Clemmensen/Grubauer could get ugly, quick.
This year's Holtby was quite obviously screwed over by asinine coaching. Look what happened tonight when he abandoned the crap they were pushing him to do and played his game. Despite his poor season, he's still at a career .918 save percentage at over 100 NHL games. That's better than Miller and Halak.

Commit to him and don't jerk him around and he'll perform.

And again, Clemmensen has shown the ability to be a really good (30-40 game) backup very recently.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
They traded for Berra and signed him to an extension. Giggy isn't heading back to Colorado, but there's a lot of talk that he's going to retire.

I always forget Berra :laugh:

Then yeah, Giguere would be great if he doesn't retire. High character guy, has been a solid mentor for Varlamov, and Conn Smythe winner. Guy is absolutely perfect for the Caps if available.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland
Jaro Halak tells me he never told #Caps Head Coach he didn't want to play against #stlblues. Halak says what's out there isn't true.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland
Jaro Halak tells me he never told #Caps Head Coach he didn't want to play against #stlblues. Halak says what's out there isn't true.

Not surprised in the slightest. Something is off here.

Hopefully this blows up so it's just another reason to can Oates.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland

Then why did he play along with the story earlier today? Doesn't look good for anybody.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland

What a disgraceful cluster****! C'mon Ted, show some self-respect and get control of this mess.

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco
Missing_Wheel1.jpg

cant wait to see the next oates presser

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
They traded for Berra and signed him to an extension. Giggy isn't heading back to Colorado, but there's a lot of talk that he's going to retire.

He's old, he's been meaning to retire for eons now, I know Anaheim will probably retire his old number when he goes. Selanne's exiting this year, too. I bet there's going to be a big old ceremony with JSG, Selanne and hopefully Kariya all getting their digits retired.

but back on topic, What a ******* play by Grabovski!

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
I feel like people who were expecting a loss in this game really don't understand the Caps at all, or at least had their fandom clouded by the mystifying nature of Adam Oates.

Clearly this was a lock for a win. Beat the good team to stay alive. Lose the road game in Carolina, (following a Columbus loss). Beat Chicago (following another Columbus loss), beat Tampa (Columbus loses). We tie, but Columbus goes based on ROW's, because we couldn't beat Carolina.

Good game for the Caps.

The Halak fiasco is the decorations on top of the icing on the cake in terms of evidence of Oates mismanaging this team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland

HASHAHAHAHAA!!! I love it. Is there a bigger sideshow in the NHL right now? Unleash the wrecking ball on this front office

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This year's Holtby was quite obviously screwed over by asinine coaching. Look what happened tonight when he abandoned the crap they were pushing him to do and played his game. Despite his poor season, he's still at a career .918 save percentage at over 100 NHL games. That's better than Miller and Halak.

Commit to him and don't jerk him around and he'll perform.

And again, Clemmensen has shown the ability to be a really good (30-40 game) backup very recently.

This right here. On a night Holtby stands on his head playing his own style, and holds a top team to 1 goal, we're back to talking about creating a multi-headed monster and messing with his head for the sake of improving his head.

And now with Halak denying he wussed out, he's back in the mix. Maybe.

:laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I had a feeling that wasn't true about halak. I just couldn't believe it.

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. We seem to be putting the most faith in whatever the latest tweet is. First, is the tweet correct? Second, how does it reconcile with Halak supposedly confirming the story yesterday?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...lav-halak-not-comfortable-facing-former-team/

“We know the feelings when you go into your old stomping ground and it’s not always easy and you’re not always comfortable, at least the first time,†Oates said. “We talked to [Halak] and he just wasn’t 100 percent comfortable. Unfortunately this time of year and where we’re at, we can’t afford that and Holts has played great lately. We feel really good about that and Holts is playing.â€

As he was walking out of Scottrade Center following the morning skate, Halak confirmed Oates’s comments, stating that the trade was still “fresh†and he didn’t want that to impact his performance in the game.

On Monday, Halak said he was looking forward to going back to STL but didn't know if he'd be playing. He also said he had "mixed emotions" about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-halak-looking-forward-to-facing-former-team/

So it sounds to me that Oates and Kolzig may have gotten wind of that story from Monday and checked in on Halak. They probably asked him "are you 100% comfortable" and he probably said "no", then they made the decision to start Holtby and threw Halak under the bus to the media.

Who is ever really, fully 100% comfortable and not nervous before any big game? This sounds like an organizational failure, led by Oates but bought into by Halak. Halak could've sacked up, and Oates could've just pointed to Holtby's past performances or made up some injury excuse. Instead, Oates dragged another player out in front of the media and sacrificed him to protect himself from any criticism.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
On Halak, I don't care what the exact situation was, you don't go out to the public and say your goalie wasn't comfortable. stupid by oates.

On the playoff chase, I'm not sure why people keep talking about CBJ. We have more of a shot of catching detriot. There is no way florida beats CBJ with playoffs on the line. I said it weeks ago and it looks like I could be right. We will end up the first team out in the worst position possible.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's a shame it took Backstrom 80 games to muster up the effort needed to do a little dipsy doo with the puck before shooting like he did last night on the PP. Changing the angle before shooting. Basics.

In the 80 games before, he would move straight at the G no moves and crest him.

Where has that simple play been all year from him? Sorry but no injury excuse gets him out of that one.

He was supposed to be our most creative player and he waits until we are one game from elimination to bring his A game.

:facepalm:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Who is ever really, fully 100% comfortable and not nervous before any big game? This sounds like an organizational failure, led by Oates but bought into by Halak. Halak could've sacked up, and Oates could've just pointed to Holtby's past performances or made up some injury excuse. Instead, Oates dragged another player out in front of the media and sacrificed him to protect himself from any criticism.

Well Oates is really really awesome at the bus toss.

I'm just waiting to see who's next in line to be chucked!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well Oates is really really awesome at the bus toss.

I'm just waiting to see who's next in line to be chucked!

What's the list up to now?

Laich -- afraid of injury
Green -- "talk is cheap", not fighting
Halak -- not 100% confident, benching self
Ovechkin -- quit on the play
various skaters -- "The Mistake"
various goalies -- more mistakes

I know I'm missing some.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
What's the list up to now?

Laich -- afraid of injury
Green -- "talk is cheap", not fighting
Halak -- not 100% confident, benching self
Ovechkin -- quit on the play
various skaters -- "The Mistake"
various goalies -- more mistakes

I know I'm missing some.

I'm sure he had to have said something about Erat. Maybe Orlov?

He's losing his grip rapidly by pulling these ploys. But he's always gone out in a very public blaze of glory as a player so not surprising he's doing that as a coach.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland

After listening to Oates, I believe Halak. The decision sounded contrived.

Can't wait till Oates is gone. But it's also bothersome that a fair amount of players who have left seemingly have done so under not so good circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad