GDT: Capitals at Islanders - 11/30/2013 7PM

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Man...Green saved the game on that shift. First he breaks up the play to the empty net, then makes a nice skate save on a hard shot that was going in.

Fun finish. Take the 2 pts and run.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Didn't watch, but caught up.

I really hate +/-. Puck jumps Greens stick, Ovechkin gets minus. Islanders player digs puck out from under Holtby, Ovechkin gets minus.

Like seriously, how many goals against are generated from the left point while he is on the ice? The only one I can recall was the rebound off Neuvirth that Kesler scored on, but that was Backstrom at the left point and Ovechkin was in front of the net.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I loved the Grabs move before the Ovi goal. Cuts across and forces Ovi into his fav spot, and throws a nice backhand pass for the GWG. Nick has been playing great but that play right there is why i want to see moar X Grabs Ovi.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I loved the Grabs move before the Ovi goal. Cuts across and forces Ovi into his fav spot, and throws a nice backhand pass for the GWG. Nick has been playing great but that play right there is why i want to see moar X Grabs Ovi.

Also nice fake shot by Ovi. Or I thought it was it before moving around the D to score from center.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Also nice fake shot by Ovi. Or I thought it was it before moving around the D to score from center.

Agreed, that is basically his old move we dont see anymore. He used to fly up and shoot through the D/screen, or cut inside a little and then shoot.

He can do his old move, but not when he is storming down LW over and over. It became too predictable.

On the GWG, their D were scrambling, it was a thing of beauty. We simply do not see enough crosses, drop passes, fake shots, backhand passes tried, moving our studs into the places they kill teams. Basics.

Teaching of these things should be right up Oates alley but he seems more engulfed in miniscule details, like the angle of a stick blade on the shot.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We simply do not see enough crosses, drop passes, fake shots, backhand passes tried, moving our studs into the places they kill teams. Basics.

Teaching of these things should be right up Oates alley but he seems more engulfed in miniscule details, like the angle of a stick blade on the shot.

Who needs a stick? Push them to the walls.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Count me among those that think the Green hate is way overboard. Pucks bounce over sticks at times, happens to the best of them. I thought he made solid plays with the puck yesterday. I also think that once he gets that first goal they will start raining down. He's been snake-bitten.

As for Orlov, he gets the puck out one way or another and that has traditionally been our weakness.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I thought Green played well. He took an iffy penalty at the end but he moved the puck quick and was skating. He just missed on a chance in the slot as well.

Orlov played well. Got caught up ice one time but it was a terrible give and go pass into his feet that he wasn't ready for. He looks good with the puck and carried it up ice several times. Got puck out of the zone. Looks better than Urbom IMO. Love urboms size but Orlov is just a better player, at least as far as difference making goes.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Mike Green is a problem. That cash vice the return on investment is an albatross around the Caps' neck. Needs to make that keep. Needs to actually dig to get back. Take a hooking penalty on the guy who doesn't have the puck.

He's not a power play quarter back. He was a few years ago. He's a liability, in all situations, now. At $6+. He needs to go.

Fantastic player a few seasons ago. Truly amazing. Now, he's not good at all - and expensive.

Its so obvious I cant understand the opposite position, other than thinking its 3+ seasons ago. Its not a personal hate or anything like that, its simply the above....and its that simple

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
If Orlov can step in and take a spot, I can actually see Green on the way out. Like others have said, convert him to wing.

IMO there is nothing in his game that indicates he is a forward. His biggest issue is good play along the boards and losing his man. Skilled forwards often need to create room coming off of the boards and with a man on him. 52 looks good skating in open ice with no one on him....thats about the extent of it

Halpysback*

Agreed, that is basically his old move we dont see anymore. He used to fly up and shoot through the D/screen, or cut inside a little and then shoot.

He can do his old move, but not when he is storming down LW over and over. It became too predictable.

On the GWG, their D were scrambling, it was a thing of beauty. We simply do not see enough crosses, drop passes, fake shots, backhand passes tried, moving our studs into the places they kill teams. Basics.

Forcing everyone to their on-wing pretty much kills that sort of creativity. Note where Ovechkin was coming from on the GWG.

Oates doesn't have a clue, we should just accept it since it is what it is.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Seems to happen to Green more than most.

Because Green refuses to back his stick up with his skate on those plays, which is how you drastically reduce the chances of it getting passed you in that spot.

Green has always been abysmal at that part of playing the position.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Forcing everyone to their on-wing pretty much kills that sort of creativity. Note where Ovechkin was coming from on the GWG.

You'd have to imagine it makes it much easier on the defense when all game their defenseman are facing the same handed shots. They never even have to think twice.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Man...Green saved the game on that shift. First he breaks up the play to the empty net, then makes a nice skate save on a hard shot that was going in.

Fun finish. Take the 2 pts and run.

this seems to be the prevailing attitude among the non-green hate group. its probably the accurate read. I didn't see it

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

isn't ovechkin on some ridiculous about a goal per game streak of more than 40 games now since his move to rw settled in? I realize a lot of ppg's from the off wing are part of that, but his even strength game has been more productive and his overall attitude and game is light years above the season or three before last season

i'd say that oates has a clue. i'd also say that its clear that a rw need only stay on the rw in the defensive zone and the defensive zone is what oates talks about on that subject.

I think his stubbornness on the subject might be too strong but to say he doesn't have a clue disregards the facts on the sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad