Friedman: Cap to stay at around 81.5 million the next 3 years

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Teams sign contracts nowadays with the knowledge cap Will go up. If it doesn’t, the teams that just sign are at a disadvantage. Actually pretty much all teams are at that disadvantage. Let players keep their salary but roll their caphits back

This is literally the exact opposite of what needs to happen to fix the escrow shortfall.

This might be a situation where the thing that makes sense to do isn't necessarily what is best for leafs.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
There will be some pressure now for undrafted UFAs and top prospects to make teams out of camp now. FA is not the way to go right now, unless you're a team with tons of cap and can score some pretty sweet discount deals, even on stars.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Last I heard, the owners were against amnesty buy outs to avoid cap hits. Wonder if that will change and they will give each team like one over the next three years or whatever

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Last I heard, the owners were against amnesty buy outs to avoid cap hits. Wonder if that will change and they will give each team like one over the next three years or whatever

Why would the NHL owners even dream of doing that? It would cost them money for no gain. Right now they have the greed of the players who are already under contract screwing over the players who are coming up as UFAs and RFAs. It is also going to result in teams trying to get poorly performing players to mutually agree to cancel contracts by doing things like sending them to the minors. This will cause infighting and weaken the union. Owners should be happy.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Ouch for teams that signed players to big contracts the past few off seasons. Not as ouch for teams with cap space. Mega ouch for UFAs and RFAs this off season and the next two.
The less term the better will be a priority for them i'm sure. There might be the odd one okay with the security of long term even at a discounted rate but they'll be a minority.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Leafs with $4.5M in cap space, if I am doing the math correctly. Maybe Kapanen or Hyman are sent packing? Dermott, Barrie, Ceci are all FAs. Gauthier, too. Other teams going to get railed, too.

Reactions: Devonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad