Salary Cap: Cap staying the same?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
An article a week ago suggested the NHL salary cap might not rise as high as expected (or at all). The Red Wings are still sitting pretty even if the cap doesn't go up.

http://alongtheboards.com/2014/11/red-wings-salary-cap-situation-next-season/

It's important to continue the trend of bringing up prospects to see what they are capable of doing. For instance:

1. Signing Nyquist to a long-term deal which will chew up a good amount of cap, certainly more than Tatar.
2. I'd get Mantha some time in Detroit and see how he develops. If he struggles like Jurco has you can return him to the A.

Also, do you consider moving some guys due to the development of your prospects? Considerations:

1. Do you keep Helm or potentially trade him before he becomes an UFA? He gets very little PK time with the development of Joker and Glendening. Drew Miller is also getting a boatload of PK mins.
2. Does Weiss ever give you any value or does he get bought out this summer?
3. If DeKeyser continues to develop do you consider moving Ericsson to upgrade your defense?

I am not saying all of these things should happen, rather these are considerations based on how the team has developed since the youth movement began in earnest last season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ken Holland has managed the cap so well that we could be contenders at next season when the "real" contenders will be in cap trouble.

Brandel*

Unless the CDN dollar takes a major dive the cap will go up to low 70s, not overly concerned either way.

Ken Holland has managed the cap so well that we could be contenders at next season when the "real" contenders will be in cap trouble.

Yes, lots of good cap hits on our team. Z and Kronwall combined for the same as Patrick Kane sets us up really nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
We have zero UFAs to worry about. The two big-ish re-signings we have to make are Nyquist and Smith. Jurco, Nesty, and Andersson aren't getting raises if things stay the same, Mrazek will replace Gustavsson for half the price, and Holland should have found a taker for Kindl by then who will likely be replaced internally by Ouellet.

If you plan on letting Cleary and Gus go (which we undoubtedly do but you never know with Holland behind the wheel), trading Kindl, bringing up Ouellet and Mrazek, retaining Jurco/Andy/Nesty at their RFA minimum offers, sign Smith to a $3M deal and Nyquist to a $4.5M deal (going with the high-end estimates here), then the Wings are left with nearly $4.5M left to play with under a $69M cap.

In other words, the cap not going up is a non-factor for the Wings. In fact, it might even be beneficial to us this year, as it could possibly deter the brass from allowing Cleary to get that extra $1M for 10 games played. If they do that, then we're left with only $3.5M to play with.

Edit: Never mind, Capgeek was messing with me. But we still have a good cap situation going into next year. We'd still have enough money to upgrade our defenseman if we found a way to move Quincey in addition to Kindl. While Quincey has been good for the past 30 games or so, adding a guy like Boychuk, Sekera, or Ehrhoff to our top 4 would bump Ericsson down to the bottom pairing to play with Ouellet. Thats the top of bottom-pairing that championship teams have.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
ericsson has modified NTC. there might not be a taker for him at good price and kenny won't trade him for little. kindl probably needs to be salary retained transaction as would quincey if they plan to trade them.

they'd have cap space to fix one of the holes. top pairing defenseman or top 6 F. maybe mantha could fill the latter hole.

then they'd have enough cap space for top pairing defender. but kenny would have to see that one is available and not think that he's jakub kindl level player. he'd have to outbid the others and/or the player would have to want to play here. that is, assuming top pairing defender is even available.

of course if babcock walks and blashill/next coach isn't that good, none of this matters.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Pathetic the NHL is already watered down gardage with 1-2 quality teams. Ty salery cap.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
We'd still have enough money to upgrade our defenseman if we found a way to move Quincey in addition to Kindl.

Are you factoring in the salary saved from buying out Stephen Weiss? They'll save $3.8 million in the first two years alone. Also, isn't there Alfredsson bonus salary that's counting this year that should also come off?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Are you factoring in the salary saved from buying out Stephen Weiss? They'll save $3.8 million in the first two years alone. Also, isn't there Alfredsson bonus salary that's counting this year that should also come off?

Alfie's bonus has no bearing on next year (unless he makes a miraculous comeback and re-signs), so no, thats not calculated for next season. And of course I didn't include Weiss being bought out because there hasn't been any talk of that by anyone other than fans. Not saying it couldn't happen but I wouldn't bank on it yet. What I did bank on was Weiss being a $4.9M healthy scratch though. :laugh:

But just to spitball and pretend that we have a creative GM, we could actually put together a contender-calibre team under a $69M cap if we bought-out Weiss, traded Kindl for futures, and moved Quincey after purchasing one of the better UFA Dmen, should they hit the market.

Henrik Zetterberg (6) - Pavel Datsyuk (7.5) - Justin Abdelkader (1.8)
Gustav Nyquist (4.5) - Carl Soderberg (5) - Johan Franzen (3.9)
Tomas Tatar (2.75) - Riley Sheahan (.95) - Tomas Jurco (.7)
Drew Miller (1.35) - Luke Glendening (.6) - Darren Helm (2.1)
Andrej Nestrasil (.6) - Joakim Andersson (.8)

Niklas Kronwall (4.75) - Brendan Smith (3)
Danny DeKeyser (2.1) - Christian Ehrhoff (6)
Jonathan Ericsson (4.25) - Xavier Ouellet (.67)
Brian Lashoff (.7)

Jimmy Howard (5.3)
Petr Mrazek (.7)

BUYOUTS
Stephen Weiss ($1.067m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.93% of upper limit)
Jakub Kindl ($0.480m—20.00%)
Kyle Quincey ($0.850m—20.00%)

That would leave the Wings with around $250k left. And thats with Nyquist/Smith signing what I would consider to be deals on the higher-end of things, Ehrhoff/Soderberg not taking any pay-cuts (why would they?) to play for the Wings, and retaining 20% on each of Kindl and Quincey. I don't necessarily think they would all get that much money, but its better to err on the higher side if we're projecting salary. Also, those are the RFA minimums for Jurco, Nesty, and Andy who, IMO, haven't done anything to earn raises. Its also obviously possible that we move away from Nesty and Andy, as they are looking very replaceable, and that one or both of Mantha/Pulkkinen could force our hand.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Pathetic the NHL is already watered down gardage with 1-2 quality teams. Ty salery cap.

I feel the same way. We probably wouldn't have the cap issue if it weren't for garbage teams in the smaller markets (I'm talking about you, Phoenix and Trashville, and prior to a season or two ago, Atlanta) that have no business having teams in the first place.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I feel the same way. We probably wouldn't have the cap issue if it weren't for garbage teams in the smaller markets (I'm talking about you, Phoenix and Trashville, and prior to a season or two ago, Atlanta) that have no business having teams in the first place.

Don't forget Florida. Their arena has been 90% empty for recent home games.

image-scaler.php

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
See what I mean about watered down garbage. Most goals in the NHL are off freak bounces. The Best team in the league has 2 good scoring lines. This would be you boston and chicago. Precap we made fun of teams with 2 good lines. When the Wings 3rd line could literally play on any team.
Add that with the loser points to add the illusion of parody. But in face it just allows average teams to have a playoff shot. Spice it up with shootouts. And you have a league of average teams. Living on loser points. I will follow the Wings but if were to be honest precap wings ***** slap the league. So I favor no cap. There are lower leagues teams can play in the AHL. You know having the NHL be elite again. Not being a league where you can literally sub half the team for grand rapids and still win games.

Brandel*

See what I mean about watered down garbage. Most goals in the NHL are off freak bounces. The Best team in the league has 2 good scoring lines. This would be you boston and chicago. Precap we made fun of teams with 2 good lines. When the Wings 3rd line could literally play on any team.
Add that with the loser points to add the illusion of parody. But in face it just allows average teams to have a playoff shot. Spice it up with shootouts. And you have a league of average teams. Living on loser points. I will follow the Wings but if were to be honest precap wings ***** slap the league. So I favor no cap. There are lower leagues teams can play in the AHL. You know having the NHL be elite again. Not being a league where you can literally sub half the team for grand rapids and still win games.

not sure how there's an illusion of parity

also tough to argue CHI/BOS being the top 2 teams in the league. 14th and 15th in pt%. stl & pit are rolling

Last edited by a moderator:

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
To me is it beyond stupid you can dictate to a business how much they can spend. If a hospital generates revenue it gets better doctors. If you cant sell your product your team should fold.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
To me is it beyond stupid you can dictate to a business how much they can spend. If a hospital generates revenue it gets better doctors. If you cant sell your product your team should fold.

I don't understand your comment. The NHL IS the business. They are dictating to themselves how much they can spend.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I don't understand your comment. The NHL IS the business. They are dictating to themselves how much they can spend.

The NHL is the chain like McDonald's individually owed with a corporate logo. The business is the teams. If I have a McDonald's and feel like paying my employees more I am able to do this.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Well aar000n it seems that you don't understand the full business of hockey on the whole.

You should think of this stuff more like BOXING. Boxing makes all their money off of TV rights and deals etc. PPV. Those kind of things.

The NHL is surprisingly similar. Alot of their money comes from TV deals and increasing the audience across north america.

When a team like Detroit (New York Yankees) are allowed to simply sign every free agent, you end up with a great team vs a bunch of crap teams.
No one wants to watch this. Detroit itself could probably sell their homegame tickets for more money. But no one in NA, wants to watch any Detroit vs the bottom 15 teams, because it is no contest.

Parody in the NHL makes things tougher. But even if competition is only "falsely" tougher due to loser points etc.... The point is the viewing public believes its tougher. So they watch and like the sport.

Increases TV viewership
Increases Profits for everyone.
Increases profits for Detroit.

If this is about business... They are doing things the right way.

Now it is actually good business sense to add a few more Canadian teams. Its also probably not amazing ideas to have teams in TB and Florida. But TB seems to be doing well. Having a salary cap that helps all teams compete increases the money. That is good for everyone.

They will never scrap the salary cap
It is here to stay
Also it has been successful. For profits and Salaries.

Everyone is winning. No one is complaining about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad