Cap space compared to other teams

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Chances are that with all the players needing contracts next year we will be spending a lot more than this year

Hoffman and Zibanejad are going to get healthy raises

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Plus we need to save money for LeBreton.....If I'm GM I never get to within 5-10% of cap so I can make a trade whenever I want , and not have to trade dollar for dollar.
Next year I see us around mid sixties with new contracts.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Was a riff on the first post:

2qk0b68.jpg

Push540

Oct 11, 2011
Sometimes there just isn't a big signing to be made.

Looks to me like those are all teams that benefitted from great drafting and trades.

Sometimes there just isn't a big draft pick or trade that's good enough. :)

Yeah, pro sports is easy to talk about but even if management loosened the purse strings, there's no guarantee of a golden goose.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Their founder is ill and they close up shop? That's weird.

Could be a case where he doesn't want "his baby" run by someone else while he's ill. The additional stress of not having your hands on your creation and not exactly knowing what's happening with it at any given time would just add more stress when he needs to reduce stress.

As for the cap space issue.....cap space means nothing if you're never going to use it. I have a hard time seeing Scrooge McDuck ever breaking 60 mil a season.

DoughtyFace

May 9, 2012
Ottawa
It would be real nice if we could just sign guys like Parise and Suter when they go UFA, but in the real world, not every player wants to play for Ottawa. Sometimes there just isn't a big signing to be made.

On teams like LA, CHI, DET, ANA, who are the major players they signed as UFAs anyways? Looks to me like those are all teams that benefitted from great drafting and trades.

This x1000. You can't reliably build a winning team anymore by buying players to fill it. You draft and cultivate, as the players grow and reach their ceilings their salaries grow. I wouldn't change much with the Sens currently, there is cap space to grow the spending as zib, hoff, stone, ceci all command higher salaries. I don't want to see the club rush to bandaid the current issues when most of the kids need another year or so to mature, the last thing we need is a rental player or to overspend for a UFA (which we would to get them to play for a rebuilding team). There are a few bad contracts anchoring this team down as well, which isn't helping.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
This x1000. You can't reliably build a winning team anymore by buying players to fill it. You draft and cultivate, as the players grow and reach their ceilings their salaries grow. I wouldn't change much with the Sens currently, there is cap space to grow the spending as zib, hoff, stone, ceci all command higher salaries. I don't want to see the club rush to bandaid the current issues when most of the kids need another year or so to mature, the last thing we need is a rental player or to overspend for a UFA (which we would to get them to play for a rebuilding team). There are a few bad contracts anchoring this team down as well, which isn't helping.

Exactly my point.

It's easy to go out and spend to the Cap on any player available but rarely does it pay off. The teams that have had the most success recently all pretty much built their team through drafting, developing and then when they were ready to take the next step made a few key trades/signings.

Also, the numbers I got were from NHLNumbers.com now that CapGeek is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad