Cap space compared to other teams

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I'm getting annoyed with all the budget talk. People seem to assume that it's easy to trade for a superstar or that any FA is willing to sign with Ottawa as long as lots of money is thrown their way.

Now, looking at other cap situations around the league, there's at least 5-6 teams that spend more (often way more) than the Sens and yet they're in a worse situation (both currently and in the future) than the Sens.

Some that come to mind:
Philadelphia
Toronto
Carolina
New Jersey
Minnesota

There's also a few other teams who have great pieces (but aren't doing so well right now) but they're already spending so much that it's really hard for them to fix their problems (most often it's defence):
Dallas
Colorado

Most of the teams I mentioned first look bad now and from what I can tell, their future doesn't look great either (long expensive contracts, very few good prospects, no star players, too old...)

This team is setting itself up for a great future, there's solid prospect depth in the system, there's a number of young players that just made the jump to the NHL and are gaining great experience. They literally have a ton of cap space to re-sign pretty much all their players to their next non-ELC contracts.

Obviously, there's a few key areas where this team can improve. The good thing is with the cap space available and the prospects they currently have, they do have the opportunity to make trades to try and turn this team into a contender, they just need to patient and wait for the right opportunities (eg: the Turris, Anderson and Ryan trades).

So those complaining about the "budget", would you rather swap this lineup and cap with Toronto, Philly, New Jersey... ??

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
As has been brought up every time this line of thinking is discussed: spending doesn't guarantee success. But to be successful (Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, Anaheim,) you have to spend.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
As has been brought up every time this line of thinking is discussed: spending doesn't guarantee success. But to be successful (Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, Anaheim,) you have to spend.

but look at how much these teams are spending?

LA is 13th
CHI 15th
DET 16th
ANA 23rd...

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'd be happy to spend more on Turris, Karlsson and Da Costa and not spend anything on Legwand, Greening, Michalek and Smith. So yeah, I think we are spending too much and good luck with signing all those available 70-pt UFAs.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I'd be happy to spend more on Turris and Karlsson and not spend anything on Legwand, Greening and Smith. So yeah, I thinkg we are spending too much.

Now imagine if you had 5-6 bad contracts like a lot of teams have...

Push540

Oct 11, 2011
I'm getting annoyed with all the budget talk. People seem to assume that it's easy to trade for a superstar or that any FA is willing to sign with Ottawa as long as lots of money is thrown their way.

Now, looking at other cap situations around the league, there's at least 5-6 teams that spend more (often way more) than the Sens and yet they're in a worse situation (both currently and in the future) than the Sens.

Some that come to mind:
Philadelphia
Toronto
Carolina
New Jersey
Minnesota

There's also a few other teams who have great pieces (but aren't doing so well right now) but they're already spending so much that it's really hard for them to fix their problems (most often it's defence):
Dallas
Colorado

Most of the teams I mentioned first look bad now and from what I can tell, their future doesn't look great either (long expensive contracts, very few good prospects, no star players, too old...)

This team is setting itself up for a great future, there's solid prospect depth in the system, there's a number of young players that just made the jump to the NHL and are gaining great experience. They literally have a ton of cap space to re-sign pretty much all their players to their next non-ELC contracts.

Obviously, there's a few key areas where this team can improve. The good thing is with the cap space available and the prospects they currently have, they do have the opportunity to make trades to try and turn this team into a contender, they just need to patient and wait for the right opportunities (eg: the Turris, Anderson and Ryan trades).

So those complaining about the "budget", would you rather swap this lineup and cap with Toronto, Philly, New Jersey... ??

No need to talk "cap space". Why not just spend a few bucks to replace the talent we lost in the last couple of years, say 2 players. We spend the least in the league. What consistent playoff team does that?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
No need to talk "cap space". Why not just spend a few bucks to replace the talent we lost in the last couple of years, say 2 players. We spend the least in the league. What consistent playoff team does that?

Like who? Legwand and Bertuzzi?

Push540

Oct 11, 2011
but look at how much these teams are spending?

LA is 13th
CHI 15th
DET 16th
ANA 23rd...

Yeah, none of them are 30th and 3 of the 4 are 15 places away. They might as well be Fortune 500 companies and we might as well be selling frozen banana's on a boardwalk.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

Ok, where do you find these players? How much do you pay them? Looking at the FA frenzy every year, the only times the contracts look good is when a player takes less to go to an imminent contender.

Year after year you hear about these ridiculous contracts getting handed out. They almost never work out. Minnie went after Parise and Suter that one summer, where has this gotten them? What bout Clarkson, Orpik, Andy MacDonald, Bolland, Pouliot...

Clearly the good FA deals are few and far between (Ehrhoff, Stastny...) and often the players took a discount to go to a top contender.

That leaves you with trades. Other teams don't want to trade good players for crap (Greening, Smith...) so unless a player wants out of another team (Turris and I think to some extent Ryan), it's really hard to acquire good impact players without sending some good pieces the other way.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
all those teams drafted and traded for all their star talent THEN they spent money

if you want to spend 5mill on Pouliot just to say you spending then there is no hope

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

who can you get that replaces Spezza and Alfie?

It really isn't that hard to understand that there aren't stars just waiting for ottawa to spend money on them

We spent money on Ryan and Karlsson and I am sure we are willing to spend money on a Stamkos but those guys aren't avaliable

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I don't think we should spend spend spend but if the team has a need that got to be filled you'd like to think the team would be willing to spend money to get that player here.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah, none of them are 30th and 3 of the 4 are 15 places away. They might as well be Fortune 500 companies and we might as well be selling frozen banana's on a boardwalk.

Ya, but remember..

theres-always-money-in-the-banana-stand.gif

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

But that will change next year when we have to sign Hoffman, Stone, Chiasson, Pageau, Prince, Condra, Zibanejad, Grant, Claesson, maybe DaCosta, etc either as RFA or UFA.

And that's a ton of work Murray or his replacement has to accomplish to keep the ship stable.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
But that will change next year when we have to sign Hoffman, Stone, Chiasson, Pageau, Prince, Condra, Zibanejad, Grant, Claesson, maybe DaCosta, etc either as RFA or UFA.

And that's a ton of work Murray or his replacement has to accomplish to keep the ship stable.

Yep and we are already commited to 55M next season and that's without signing Methot,Zibby,Stone,Hoffman,Pageau,Chiasson like you said.

Even if we don't resign Methot our cap should go up by atleast 8M which would bring us to 63M and it was already said that Murray was willing to give 4,6 to Methot so if he does sign a defensemen around 4M we should be near the 68M mark . One could argue that we may be able to get of some players off the cap like Michalek, Smith, Neil, Phillips, Greening, Legwand but good luck with that.

Push540

Oct 11, 2011
Ya, but remember..

theres-always-money-in-the-banana-stand.gif

:) I was hoping someone would get it! Why couldn't Gob just mail the insurance cheque?

Don't only half of those players need to play in Ottawa? I'm not trying to be a downer but some of those names should be on the back of milk cartons.

Also, I can't imagine, signing some/ most of those players will put us above 15th in spending.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Now imagine at the trade deadline your almost/or, are a playoff team and you pick up a Rent-A-Player and suddenly you are contender.

It's not like we've not given away picks before, and we are in the same boat for 7 years now!

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

It would be real nice if we could just sign guys like Parise and Suter when they go UFA, but in the real world, not every player wants to play for Ottawa. Sometimes there just isn't a big signing to be made.

On teams like LA, CHI, DET, ANA, who are the major players they signed as UFAs anyways? Looks to me like those are all teams that benefitted from great drafting and trades.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
Actual numbers: (<--- psst, this is a link to capgeek via webarchive, so all figures are accurate as of Jan 5th)

CHI: $70mil
LA: $69mil
DET: $64mil
ANA: $62mil

OTT: $55.8mil.

(all figures rounded to within $100k)

"So those complaining about the "budget", would you rather swap this lineup and cap with Chicago, LA, Detroit, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Vancouver, Islanders, Rangers, Washington... ??"

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
"So those complaining about the "budget", would you rather swap this lineup and cap with Chicago, LA, Detroit, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Vancouver, Islanders, Rangers, Washington... ??"

Ya, I'd swap with most of those teams if it means were a contender like them.......

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Is that a serious question? Of course I would switch with most of those teams, those are some of the top teams in the league...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad