Salary Cap: Cap Situation Entering Free Agency

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
why? 45 point pace in the regular season, 5 points in 7 games in the playoffs. Most teams don't have better guys than that in their bottom two lines

He did well, very well for his AAV but he is getting older and pretty much prevents us from icing an energy 4th line. Personally I'd like him to come up with an energy line but he seems to put his line together by bringing in players than fit under the cap rather than players who fit a style.

For example, what is the identity of a Simmonds/Engval or Brooks/Spezza or Soup/Kerfoot/Engvall or Robertson ?? Line ?? I don't sI don't see an identity. I see a mishmash.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Spezza as our best bottom 6 forward is not a good thing.

I suppose it is if he's gonna score at close to 1/2 gpg.....but yea, I get you point. Be careful of upsetting the others with those kinds of comments though.

Reactions: ToneDog

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nylander and Marener are our top 2 RWers. If you use Nylander on the LW then you need to add another top 2 RWer.

The way I see it our top priorities are a goalie, 2 top 6 LWers, bottom 6 depth and a bottom pair RHD (or use what we have now Dermott/Lily and Sandin/Dermott on your bottom pair).

Nylander played LW all year. Didn't you watch?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Ok, if you're including 88, then for sure. Thanks for the providing the context you meant.
You're welcome. I would have been borderline on the top 6 until we lost Tavares and Galchenyuk came into the lineup. It went from 3 solid players to a reclamation project who started the series as a HS, our third line C and a high quality top 6 player.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
We have no cap room and the entire team is the exact same minus Hyman. Nothing to be excited about. Yes we still have the offseason but Dubas has committed to this team and won't be making any moves.
9.3 in cap room

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The depth was good.

Unless you ignore the good depth, of course.

if depth was good montreal would have had different defensive strategy. dont look far look at how "good depth" from tampa got it done because montreal focused entirely on the point line and had nothing to counter the "good depth"

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
if depth was good montreal would have had different defensive strategy. dont look far look at how "good depth" from tampa got it done because montreal focused entirely on the point line and had nothing to counter the "good depth"

Non top-6 forwards vs MTL:

TOR: 7gms, 6gls, 19pts
TBL: 5gms, 7gls, 17pts

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Must have missed that. I thought Gally was the last LWer on the Tavares/Nylander line and he is no RWer.
You didn't miss anything, but I think you know that haha he was RW with Vesey-Tavares. He was RW with Galchenyuk-Tavares. He was RW with Galchenyuk-Kerfoot in the playoffs. He was RW with Foligno-Tavares for a game....or half a period I guess. He was RW with Galchenyuk-Foligno for a game and a half in the playoffs. And finally, he was LW for a very very short stint with Tavares-Simmonds when Simmer caught fire early on and moved up to line #2, which was short lived due to the broken wrist.

Reactions: egd27 and ToneDog

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Most of our spending has to do with how much we plan to change tbh. If we aren't going to change much, we go in with:
____-Matthews-Marner
____-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Brooks/Robertson-Spezza-Simmonds

Leaves us with money to go after 2 LW's, possibly a #5 D-man, and a 1B goalie. I do hope we move out at least one of Engvall or Mikheyev. Would like to move one of those guys plus Dermott, plus a pick to go after Bertuzzi. Sign Brock McGinn. And those are your forward lines. Bump Robertson up to Kerfoot's wing. But it's gonna be tight as it stands unless we get active in the trade market. Foegle is also another one I'd like. As a potential Hyman replacement.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Filip Hållander (former 2nd) & 7th for McCann might have weakened Leafs prospect pool more this week, than Matthew Knies, Ty Voit, & Vyacheslav Peksa increased it through the entire 2021 draft additions. IMO

I know if I only got to pick 1 it would be Hallander, who is close to being NHL ready.

So is possible after the expansion draft and the entry draft we lost ground as a franchise overall?

Or will Knies or Voit surprise?

Its certainly possible with no picks and an expansion they are a bit weaker but the impact is less than the loss of Hyman. The result of adding rentals for a playoff push and then losing them is something most clubs that see themselves as contenders do. Boston has been a frequent renter for the last 10 years with no Cups but they still ice a strong team every year. I think it puts more pressure to do some successful roster manipulation outside of the big 4 to mitigate the lost picks. We'll see what roster starts the season.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I’m a little bummed with this week to be honest .
I was hoping we could shed some salary in the expansion draft but instead we gave up a decent prospect and a late pick.

I was hoping Dubas had some kind of deal or reasoning to behind the whole Mccann trade. like a trade for Kerfoot or to free up some cap space.

I get that he believes in the core of our big 4, but a lot of players like Kerfoot or hall are moveable .

He’s usually pretty good at trading down and obtaining value out of our draft picks . There was no movement or any indication of that this year.

Jake bean a nice Young defenceman was available for a second I thought that was a good buy . An NHL ready young D for cheep Who has great numbers and would fit nicely into our core.

I thought he drafted well with the pics that he had this year . I’m happy with the players he took.

I just really hope a free agency he can pull off some magic and get us a nice player .
I know I’m dreaming but Landeskog would be an amazing target if the money was right.

Dubas’s time is ticking away , our team isn’t good enough and has not been good enough.

i loved what he did last off season for us . Loved the changes he made and the players he brought in.

I hope he uses the cap wisely and can continue to improve us this off season. So far this summer he hasn’t , I understand there’s lots of time left between now and season start but hopefully he does make us better

United35

Jan 16, 2021
He did well, very well for his AAV but he is getting older and pretty much prevents us from icing an energy 4th line. Personally I'd like him to come up with an energy line but he seems to put his line together by bringing in players than fit under the cap rather than players who fit a style.

For example, what is the identity of a Simmonds/Engval or Brooks/Spezza or Soup/Kerfoot/Engvall or Robertson ?? Line ?? I don't sI don't see an identity. I see a mishmash.

Paralysis by analysis… follow the game plan and play hard. Stick up for your teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad