Salary Cap: Cap Situation Entering Free Agency

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’m a little bummed with this week to be honest .
I was hoping we could shed some salary in the expansion draft but instead we gave up a decent prospect and a late pick.

I was hoping Dubas had some kind of deal or reasoning to behind the whole Mccann trade. like a trade for Kerfoot or to free up some cap space.

I get that he believes in the core of our big 4, but a lot of players like Kerfoot or hall are moveable .

He’s usually pretty good at trading down and obtaining value out of our draft picks . There was no movement or any indication of that this year.

Jake bean a nice Young defenceman was available for a second I thought that was a good buy . An NHL ready young D for cheep Who has great numbers and would fit nicely into our core.

I thought he drafted well with the pics that he had this year . I’m happy with the players he took.

I just really hope a free agency he can pull off some magic and get us a nice player .
I know I’m dreaming but Landeskog would be an amazing target if the money was right.

Dubas’s time is ticking away , our team isn’t good enough and has not been good enough.

i loved what he did last off season for us . Loved the changes he made and the players he brought in.

I hope he uses the cap wisely and can continue to improve us this off season. So far this summer he hasn’t , I understand there’s lots of time left between now and season start but hopefully he does make us better
It’s just going to be the same replay of last year……..we better buckle up

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its certainly possible with no picks and an expansion they are a bit weaker but the impact is less than the loss of Hyman. The result of adding rentals for a playoff push and then losing them is something most clubs that see themselves as contenders do. Boston has been a frequent renter for the last 10 years with no Cups but they still ice a strong team every year. I think it puts more pressure to do some successful roster manipulation outside of the big 4 to mitigate the lost picks. We'll see what roster starts the season.

Boston gave up a 2nd rounder for Taylor Hall at the TD and then re-signed him for $6.0 mil X 4 years. So that is not going to help our Leafs once we rejoin the Atlantic. I don't see us adding anyone at the level of Hall and we will be still trying to offset the loss of Hyman never mind all the lost draft picks. IMO

Hall put up 16 games 8- 6-14 points in the reg season and 3-2-5 points in the playoffs for a 2nd round pick and that was the only pick they were missing (for which now they have Hall) from this draft selecting in all the other rounds and 2 X 7th.

While Leafs used 1st + 2 X 4ths on Foligno alone and letting him walk and after Rittich and Hutton etc are left with Matthew Knies, Ty Voit, & Vyacheslav Peksa.

Our Leafs didn't make up ground in the draft nor are we likely to add a Hall like player via free agency and as long as that perfection line makes only $19.5 mil combined Boston will also be in advantage cap wise yearly. So I'm not optimistic how we close ground as it appears we're actually losing it.

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Agreed. I also believe this is where the Leafs went wrong on players like Marner and Nylander. They should have pushed the bridge deal 2 years prior to signing their deals. The flat cap was unexpected and if we didnt have the pandemic we easily could have had an additional 7 million in cap space. We wouldnt be speaking of this right now. But you need to plan for the unexpected. Upper management failed in this regard. Having to liquidate assets because of bad deals signed.

Imagine the Leafs the last 2 years played with Marner and Nylander on bridge deals.

Marner 7 million into next season.
Nylander 4.5 million into next season.

Thats what they would have gotten and signed if Dubas and company opened their eyes and did what they were supposed to do. That alone would have been an additional 6 million in cap space this season alone.
If you bridge them you would lose one. Prematurely and or forced to sell on their terms.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
We have $9.35 million in cap space with the roster below. I don't think our cap situation is that bad. We would be able to sign a guy like Saad or Schwartz to replace Hyman up front, and bring back a guy like Galchenyuk for cheap. I think we'll be able to do more in free agency than a lot of people expect - especially if they're able to do some LTIR manipulation with Tavares.

If Nick Robertson is ready to be a top 6 winger, it could be huge for us - maybe sliding Galchenyuk down the lineup halfway through the year.

XXXX-Matthews-Marner
XXXX-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Engvall-Spezza-XXXX

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Sandin/Liljegren

Campbell
XXXX

You think they're going to put Tavares on LTIR?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Pathetic to see the exact same roster for the upcoming season. Last years team was the most disappointing team in franchise history

Make no changes. Awesome plan Dubas. smh

Um, you do know we're in the middle of the off-season right?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Boston gave up a 2nd rounder for Taylor Hall at the TD and then re-signed him for $6.0 mil X 4 years. So that is not going to help our Leafs once we rejoin the Atlantic. I don't see us adding anyone at the level of Hall and we will be still trying to offset the loss of Hyman never mind all the lost draft picks. IMO

Hall put up 16 games 8- 6-14 points in the reg season and 3-2-5 points in the playoffs for a 2nd round pick and that was the only pick they were missing (for which now they have Hall) from this draft selecting in all the other rounds and 2 X 7th.

While Leafs used 1st + 2 X 4ths on Foligno alone and letting him walk and after Rittich and Hutton etc are left with Matthew Knies, Ty Voit, & Vyacheslav Peksa.

Our Leafs didn't make up ground in the draft nor are we likely to add a Hall like player via free agency and as long as that perfection line makes only $19.5 mil combined Boston will also be in advantage cap wise yearly. So I'm not optimistic how we close ground as it appears we're actually losing it.

It's not just Boston the Leafs have to worry about -- it's Florida...

Sam Reinhart is a HUGE acquisition for them, and they gave up absolutely nothing off their roster to get him. Their centre depth is now Barkov, Reinhart, and Bennett. These aren't trophy-winning names like Matthews & Tavares, but these are 3 REALLY SOLID two way centres that can put up numbers, and are going to give teams matchup challenges all year long.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Seems like the tandem goalie is the priority, which makes sense.
I feel like Bunting’s profile makes a pretty good likelihood he comes here.
Then maybe another D to insulate Lili and Sandin abit. Hjalmarsson is my guy here.
Then another rebounding winger with warts who could be great value in the right situation.
All seems pretty doable to me.
I’m personally pretty excited the kids are getting worked in….they’re all good players. The learning curve is inevitable, but it’ll be worth it.
A blast of motivated youth can be just as impactful as adding vets.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Sam Reinhart is a HUGE acquisition for them, and they gave up absolutely nothing off their roster to get him. Their centre depth is now Barkov, Reinhart, and Bennett. These aren't trophy-winning names like Matthews & Tavares, but these are 3 REALLY SOLID two way centres that can put up numbers, and are going to give teams matchup challenges all year long.

I agree. The Leafs won the North but Florida still finished above them in the NHL standings and we know the strength of the Canadian Div.

Florida gave TB a real test and run for their money in round #1 on the playoffs in what a brutally physical series.

I also see Leafs and Florida in a battle for #3 in the Atlantic with the loser fighting for a wild card spot to get in next year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Reinhart and Bennett have played most of their careers on the wing.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad