Cap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What exactly are the penalties for a team exceeding the cap?

the only thing I was able to find had to do with bonus overages:
"When the bonus cushion is in affect, teams can exceed the salary cap in performance bonuses by up to 7.5 percent of the salary cap's upper limit. Should performance bonuses actually earned at season's end push them past the salary cap's upper limit, the excess bonuses earned will be carried over as a penalty to the team's cap payroll the following season".

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You could go over the cap during the summer and then fail to get under it in time, not sure how the league would handle that.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
So basically a team can't choose to take a financial penalty to temporarily go over the cap. Thanks I was never clear if there was some sort of luxury tax option available.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
You could go over the cap during the summer and then fail to get under it in time, not sure how the league would handle that.

Force the team to put people on waivers until enough players were claimed to free the space up? I have no idea. I don't think I've read anything in the CBA about what would happen if a team couldn't get under the cap. It's hypothetically possible for every team to go over the cap using the off season cushion, and then no team would be able to clear enough space since there's no way to hide salary anymore. That would be kind of funny to see.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I found another tidbit of info:

" If a player has a legitimate long-term injury, his cap hit is still counted; however, the team is permitted to replace him with one or more players whose combined salary is equal to or less than that of the injured player, even if the additional players would put the team over the salary cap (if the team's cap room is larger than the injured player's cap hit, they may take on as much as their cap room); however, the injured player may not return to play until the team is again compliant with the original cap".

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

You're required to dress a short roster (less than 20 players) until you become cap-compliant. There are also a few mid-season scenarios (injuries and suspensions I think) where this can happen.

But the general rule is that you're never allowed to have a roster that would put you over the cap by season's end

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think the move to go over the cap would be allowed however the team would not be allowed to play. The games would be forfeit.

There is no way the NHL would allow a game to be forfeited. Would they?

If so, then let's just forfeit the rest of this season! We might get closer to McDavid that way, even though Bettman won't let us have him!

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Pretty sure Boston was over the cap last year (related to bonuses I believe). Brighter members can find it in this interwed thing faster than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad