Value of: Cap dump for a 1st

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Arizona needs to target teams with a lot of picks in this draft. Unfortunately, they probably don't want to trade away the players those teams would want. The organization really screwed them.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I'd rather see them use capspace to upgrade their D.

I would too, but apart from DeMelo or Hammer, I don’t see Winnipeg drawing to much interest in the free agency route. If we are using it to grab a cap dump coupled with a guy like Cernak from TB or Pulock from the Isles, then I’m game, but I just don’t see that happening.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Russel isn’t taking a 1st or 2nd to dump lmao. He’s a great #5 and is only making 1.5m in real money next year.

If edm is offering a 2nd to dump russel, I take it and then flip him at 50% for positive assets imo

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Arizona needs to target teams with a lot of picks in this draft. Unfortunately, they probably don't want to trade away the players those teams would want. The organization really screwed them.
This is true! Devs woudl be willing and have some of Zona's needs but how far are they willing to go?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I agree. Not only is it a flat cap but HRR has tanked. Teams simply aren't going to accept the Marleau price anymore to accept a cap dump. Cap dump prices absolutely have gone up.

gqUtHC0nbgJshabag9toocAUkcZg0p7HO4Rc9g-ddwo.jpg

The Marleau price only applies on 35+ contracts with NMCs and bonus structures that also need to be bought out or they won't play.

Someone like Neal who can still play and doesn't require 6.25 mil to be set on fire in both real cash and cap space the day you get him isn't the same situation, especially if LTIR is a viable option at some point.

Reactions: qqaz

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
then you can peddle him somewhere else. this is a flat cap world where HRR has tanked. There are numerous threads here where the discussion is about owners losing $20-$30 million. None of what you posted changes that. Cap dump prices have gone up.

This kings fan is not interested in cap dumps. And from all accounts, Kings management is also of that opinon.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The Marleau price only applies on 35+ contracts with NMCs and bonus structures that also need to be bought out or they won't play.

Someone like Neal who can still play and doesn't require 6.25 mil to be set on fire in both real cash and cap space the day you get him isn't the same situation, especially if LTIR is a viable option at some point.

Yup. I hate comparisons to that Marleau trade. It was the absolute worst case scenario. Can't buy him out, send him down, or keep him. And no one else would put him on the roster to play at his price tag.

No cap dump has ever been similar.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Yup. I hate comparisons to that Marleau trade. It was the absolute worst case scenario. Can't buy him out, send him down, or keep him. And no one else would put him on the roster to play at his price tag.

No cap dump has ever been similar.
In terms of pure cap considerations, I agree, it was a very unique circumstance. However, now that a player's salary, especially over the next 3 or so years, is a consideration, some teams may want to send out under-performing players just to help keep the lights on.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
You singled out the one team that has a single pick in the first 3 rounds in the next 2 drafts. One single pick, which is not a first rounder. But you can have that pick if you take Phil Kessel.

Having zero picks in the first 3 rounds of the next two drafts is the best way to start a rebuild.

Can't say that this clown organization doesn't deserves it. Bettman got the team there and had it stay there bullying the city and the citizens.

Don't give them picks. Let this team collapse and move to a real hockey city.

Oh and f*** Bettman.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If the Isles can recoup a first(Leddy) I’m pretty sure they’d be open to attaching it to Boychuk or Uncle Leo. Won’t even bring up Ladd since that will require much, much more.

I think if Lou can get rid of one now, he’ll probably feel pretty confident that he can get rid of the other during expansion.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not necessarily. Not when he makes 1.5 in actual dollars. Real money is more important than cap here. Some teams are going to be desperate to spend as little as possible.

Those teams looking to spend less will do so by playing / signing their own prospects and young cheap players rather than taking on Russell. Also, GM's regardless of their financial situation will be looking to weaponize capspace. They will tax the Oilers for cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad