cap circumvention

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
i was watching l'antichambre yesterday and guy carbonneau was talking about players putting money on the table to "motivate" players. ie when they are playing against their former team etc.

He said that in 2006-2007 in the last game vs Toronto (must win to make PO) he put some money and other assistant coach and players also... there was like 17K... and then George Gillets (habs owner) asked what that money was for and he then double it up..

is it legal for an owner to do that with a cap? i know it's just 17K but again...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Yes it is, but as long as its not made public the league doesn't care about that stuff, its been part of the game for a long time.

Leafs with Ron Wilson for a milestone win had money on the board, and he had the money in his pocket, and I think after the game while Wilson was walking across the ice to the locker-room which was on the other side, one of the players skated up to him to take the cash right away loool.

Since it was public and on tsn and so forth, the league took "action" and fined the leafs I think.

I believe how it works, is when money is put on the board the guy with the GWG gets to keep the pocket.

I remember after the Habs acquired Gomez, in the first vs the Rangers he put money on the board, and Cammy scored the GWG in OT, Gomez was the first one to celebrate with him and he said the first thing he told him was the he just cost him a lot of money...lol

PernellKarl76

Apr 7, 2008
As long as its performance based, whatever.

The fine line is Sean Payton situations. Paying for fights, injuries, etc etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad