Post-Game Talk: Canucks YoungStars in Penticton (Canucks finish 1-1-1)

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Was planning a little write up about my adventures at the youngstars but just got home now and wayyy to tired. Left Penticton at 4:30. Long day!

Got stuck for 6 hours in the middle of nowhere on the #3 highway. Some fukwit ran into a construction truck on the side of the road and sheared his car in half. His passenger ended up in the middle of the highway. So some guy jumps out of his forrestry truck to give the girl CPR and the driver of the smashed car jumps into his truck and speeds off. To make things really interesting the trunk is filled with guns that end up spread all over the highway. Half the car was unrecognizable. About 1000 car parts spread across 4 lanes of traffic. The passenger half of the car ended up on the opposite side of the road. Needless to say the woman passed away. What a way to end a vacation.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Was planning a little write up about my adventures at the youngstars but just got home now and wayyy to tired. Left Penticton at 4:30. Long day!

Got stuck for 6 hours in the middle of nowhere on the #3 highway. Some fukwit ran into a construction truck on the side of the road and sheared his car in half. His passenger ended up in the middle of the highway. So some guy jumps out of his forrestry truck to give the girl CPR and the driver of the smashed car jumps into his truck and speeds off. To make things really interesting the trunk is filled with guns that end up spread all over the highway. Half the car was unrecognizable. About 1000 car parts spread across 4 lanes of traffic. The passenger half of the car ended up on the opposite side of the road. Needless to say the woman passed away. What a way to end a vacation.

:amazed:

Wow, you couldnt make this stuff up. Messed up world

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Wow, settinguptheplay, sounds like a scene from a Tarantino move. Crazy.

As for the games, IIRC, Carcone did pretty well at the Young Stars tourney last year too. These games cater to the pond hockey water bug type guys. Now, from what I read out of Utica last year, he did show some progression. Hopefully this year he can take a step and become a solid, top 6, AHLer. Then we'll see if he has anywhere to go above that.

I'm glad LaPlante played well, but he's another guy who plays okay in these tournies, but then struggles in the ECHL. I suspect he'll end up being hard pressed even making the Comets.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wow, settinguptheplay, sounds like a scene from a Tarantino move. Crazy.

As for the games, IIRC, Carcone did pretty well at the Young Stars tourney last year too. These games cater to the pond hockey water bug type guys. Now, from what I read out of Utica last year, he did show some progression. Hopefully this year he can take a step and become a solid, top 6, AHLer. Then we'll see if he has anywhere to go above that.

I'm glad LaPlante played well, but he's another guy who plays okay in these tournies, but then struggles in the ECHL. I suspect he'll end up being hard pressed even making the Comets.
I actually remember Carcone doing really well in last year's actual preseason as well, ending up one of the last cuts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was impressed by Chatfeild...skating and mobility is easily NHL level...Will definitely be a guy to keep an eye on during camp.

Absolutely. Chatfield's skating is phenomenal and easily the best of any defender in the Canucks system. Very powerful forward skater who covers a ton of ground and recovers easily when he does make a small mistake ... but his pivots are also extremely smooth and he's an excellent backward skater. When you couple that sort of mobility with his high-end defensive IQ, you have a very good prospect. I'm up to 8 or 9 views on this player now and he simply doesn't make major positional errors or get caught up ice. Always in position making the right play and rarely looks flustered. Plus has some jam and a willingness to take hits to make plays with the puck.

Right now I have him as the #2 defensive prospect in the organization behind Juolevi and well ahead of Subban/McEneny/Brisebois. And despite being an overage signing who hasn't played a pro game, I think he might be the closest to sticking in the NHL - he'll obviously go to Utica and I think he'll be a top-4 guy there, but I don't think he'd embarrass himself in an NHL game as a callup right now.

Looks like a great signing. Hopefully he has a great year in Utica and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make a hard push to make the team in 18-19.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I watched (most of) all three games. My impressions were that none of the D looked particularly good defensively (on any of the teams), but to some extent that is to be expected in this sort of tournament. I thought Juolevi and Chatfield looked good in transition and Juolevi looked very good on the point of the PP; but Chatfield seems to have a better knack for getting his shot through. Brisebois show signs of skill, but also looked like a train wreck at times. Defensively there was a lot of "I got it, you take it" poor communication between D pairs and goaltenders. There were several occasions where Juolevi (and others) got walked around. These didn't look good, but uncertain decision making can make the feet look slow. Juolevi looked much better in the Edmonton game - probably a product of more time working / practicing with the forwards, D and goalies, but based on what we have seen so far, he hasn't earned a 9 game cup-o with the Canucks yet. MacKenzine Stewart was better than expected, but expectations were pretty low. He seems to have improved his skating; moving from "continental drift" to about "Josh Georges". Brassard and Candella both have some work to do.

Of the forwards, Molino, Carcone, Gadjovich, Lind and Boeser stood out - all for different reason. Molino is flat out fast - scary fast. Carcone has a wicked shot and displayed a willingness to get to the net. Boeser also has a great shot, but was more notable for his maturity and completeness of his game. Lind looks like a play maker off the wing - very smart and creative with the puck. Gadjovich looks like his is going to score a lot of Tim Kerr type goals from about 6" out and will be a beast on the boards. But like the D-men, they all had gaffs defensively.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Got around to watching this one tonight. Entertaining game - night and day from the Calgary game.

- Carcone had the best game I've ever seen from any player in this tournament. Must have had 12-14 shot attempts, could've had 5 goals, skated miles and was everywhere. Might have been involved in more scoring chances than the rest of the team combined. Dunno if he'll ever be an NHL regular but looks primed to step up to be a key contributor in Utica.

- much better effort from Juolevi. Much more involved in puck battles defensively and skated well. Playing with a partner as good as Chatfield helps.

- Chatfield is a better prospect than Brisebois and it isn't really all that close. Didn't put a foot wrong tonight. Powerful skater who joins the rush well to push the play forward but easily gets back into position. Defensive reads are spot on and footwork is excellent. Brisebois played a more active game offensively today but was a mess defensively and caught up ice a lot.

- Lind was better tonight although not great. Gadjovich has trouble keeping up with the play but is a bull in close and does all the little things well.

- D'Aoust was heaps better today although probably still ECHL-bound.

- Molino really faded today and was invisible and easily eliminated from the play.

- Brassard scored a lucky goal but is an awful player. Waste of a pick, especially considering he's a year older than most 2017 draftees. None of he/Candella/Stukel/MacKenzie are even close to being worthy of a contract.

Chatfield looked good but is also a year older the Brisebois. I haven't followed Chatfield long enough to know what he was like a year ago. Hopefully Brisebois can step it up over the next year.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC

Did you get to meet Michael Bay?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Chatfield looked good but is also a year older the Brisebois. I haven't followed Chatfield long enough to know what he was like a year ago. Hopefully Brisebois can step it up over the next year.

He might be a year older, but they really aren't even close as players right now. Chatfield to me is closer to Juolevi as a prospect than Brisebois. Like I said, his combination of mobility/IQ/grit looks like it could play in the NHL very soon.

I just don't see it at all with Brisebois or what he brings to the table offensively or defensively. To me he looks ECHL-bound this season - was struggling to get traction in this very low-level tournament.

And I've said this a few times, but Brisebois' listed size has to be BS. He's listed at 6'3 190 but looks like a tiny toothpick on the ice - I'd have thought 6'1 170 was generous just looking at him. Chatfield is listed at 6'0 188 but looks so much bigger on the ice and just has so much more presence.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know sites like the Canucks Army hate for the Canucks to 'waste' contract spots on undrafted junior players like Chatfield, MacEwan and Carcone, and college UFA's like Molino, but dammit they were some of the most impressive guys on the ice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I know sites like the Canucks Army hate for the Canucks to 'waste' contract spots on undrafted junior players like Chatfield, MacEwan and Carcone, and college UFA's like Molino, but dammit they were some of the most impressive guys on the ice.

To some extent that's because they're a bit older than the 18-19 y/o recent draftees (although there are also 22-23 y/o college kids playing) but I will give the organization some credit because their UFA signings over the past year do look very good. I have both MacEwen and Chatfield in our top 10 prospects right now, and Carcone looks like he'll be a quality contributor in Utica.

Weirdly, our 6th-7th rounders over that stretch have been absolutely brutal. Stukel, Candella, MacKenzie, and Brassard all look completely worthless and Abols is already basically out of the organization.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
He might be a year older, but they really aren't even close as players right now. Chatfield to me is closer to Juolevi as a prospect than Brisebois. Like I said, his combination of mobility/IQ/grit looks like it could play in the NHL very soon.

I just don't see it at all with Brisebois or what he brings to the table offensively or defensively. To me he looks ECHL-bound this season - was struggling to get traction in this very low-level tournament.

And I've said this a few times, but Brisebois' listed size has to be BS. He's listed at 6'3 190 but looks like a tiny toothpick on the ice - I'd have thought 6'1 170 was generous just looking at him. Chatfield is listed at 6'0 188 but looks so much bigger on the ice and just has so much more presence.

Brisebois was a nominee for the top D-man in the Q this year so it's not like he's a nothing prospect. You can't say he's awful when all you've seen is 3 games of pickup...He'll probably stick with the comets this year due to his skating ability.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Hoe Lee She At!

That is messed the f up. Looking forward to hearing about the dude that got away.. getting busted.
Brutal..
Rest up.. and hurry up with the write up.;)

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

That's crazy

Also it's why you never take the 3.

You take the coquihalla and the connector and come through peach land/summer land.

It's more distance but faster time wise and the odds you ever get stuck are slim.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
To some extent that's because they're a bit older than the 18-19 y/o recent draftees (although there are also 22-23 y/o college kids playing) but I will give the organization some credit because their UFA signings over the past year do look very good. I have both MacEwen and Chatfield in our top 10 prospects right now, and Carcone looks like he'll be a quality contributor in Utica.

Weirdly, our 6th-7th rounders over that stretch have been absolutely brutal. Stukel, Candella, MacKenzie, and Brassard all look completely worthless and Abols is already basically out of the organization.

It does appear to be the case, but i wouldn't say it's that weird. It's better to have it work that way, than the other way around at least.

Better to be getting the older, "safer", more likely to contribute as Pros (at least at the AHL level) guys as the ones handed a contract. At least getting some utility out of those contract slots. Using the late round darts in the dark picks to get a couple years commitment-free extra evaluation on guys with A Tool or A Trait that intrigues them, or some sort of small sample size that creates ambiguity in their scouting profile. Easy to walk away from, but with club control in the unlikely event that one trait starts to develop into something worth keeping.

Ideally they'd be picking less cruddy 6th/7th round guys or getting an NHL calibre "boom" in there somewhere, but that's easier said than done. Getting guys there who might one day play some AHL games is one thing - but when you can pick up guys like Chatfield, MacEwan, Carcone, etc. with UDFA deals...you can only spend so many contract slots on AHL projects. Between NHL deals, quality AHL Vets, and the higher percentage higher pick hopefully NHL-bound prospects...you only really need and have room for so many AHL organizational depth guy projects out of the late rounds (especially when supplemented by some decent UDFA signings).

It may seem counterintuitive i guess, but if you're going to be throwing darts in the dark with some of these resources (and with 6th 7th rounders, everyone is)...it gives you a lot more flexibility if you can manage to throw the wildest darts with late round picks, rather than firm contract commitments.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
That's crazy

You take the coquihalla and the connector and come through peach land/summer land.

It's more distance but faster time wise and the odds you ever get stuck are slim.

I prefer the 3 over the 5. The Coquihalla is one hella boring drive. The twisty mountain roads on the 3 are a pleasure to drive. Easy choice for me especially when I am going to Penticton as opposed to Kelowna. It is a shorter drive and little difference in time. Traffic on the 3 is almost non existent and what happened was a fluke. Had nothing to do with road conditions and everything to do with a DBag driver who thought it a good idea to pass traffic doing 140+ weaving in and out of oncoming traffic.

I have decided to scrap my detailed write up because too much time has passed and main camp is underway. But I will add my 2 bits in short form.

Top Forward (each team) -

Dillon Dube - Did not think much of him after the first game but he got stronger with each period and each game. When he was on the ice he was making things happen. Driving both his line and his team.

Chad Butcher - Gritty, big motor and some skills. Not sure how he translates to the NHL (3rd liner?) but he controlled play almost every shift. The best forward at the YST imo.

Brock Boeser - At times there were others whom were playing better. In fact I am not sure Boeser was ever the best player on the ice. But I give him top forward on Vancouver for 1 reason only. His shot. Head and shoulders above anyone on the tournament. That one laser off the bar was world class.

Jansen Harkins - Was a difficult choice for me. Was not impressed with Winnipeg as a whole this tourny. They had a good final game but the sour taste was hard to remove from my mouth.

Top Dman

Juuso Valimaki - My vote for top D in the tourny. Composed, strong and a nose for both ends of the ice. He did what I had hoped Juolevi would have done. Controlled the ice from end to end. Nothing too fancy but very few mistakes.

Ziyat Paigin - Had no idea who he was but he looked big, played big and was always involved. Good shot from the point and transitioned the puck well. What more can you ask for.

Olli Juolevi - Yes, you heard that right. He had a brutal 2nd game but his bounce back was with his best game of the tourny. Showed the kind of vision that only Valimaki showed glimpses of. Steadying influence that was most evident in Chatfield. Whom looked great along side Juolevi but not nearly as effective without him. I like Chatfield. Kid looks exciting. But Juolevi allowed him the freedom to fly like he did. This I think will be Juolevi's best asset. Allowing his partner the freedom to create. Work on his turns and Juolevi will not disappoint.

Tucker Poolman - Played only the 1 game and was easily Winnipeg's best D. But that is not saying much. The Jets D was brutal. Brought the whole team down. Niku also showed some glimpses but was part of too many tire fires to take top team D.

Disappointments -

Spencer Foo - Oh I know. He put up some points and at times looked great. I am sure the hype played a large part in my opinion of him but he just looks like another perimeter lightweight.

Kailer Yamamoto - Had a couple flashy dashes across the middle only to stick handle himself into the boards and get bounced off the puck. Strength is going to be an issue going forward. Showed almost none of the skill he is said to possess. Hopefully just going through the motions at this tourny. Because thats what it looked like. My vote as biggest disappointment of the tournament.

Danny Moynihan - As one of the oldest in the tournament and some professional hockey under his belt I expected at least some flashes. Instead I actually had to seek him out. Is he under contract with the Canucks? He did himself no favours in Penticton.

Logan Stanley - First off I never thought too highly of him to begin with. But holy cripe is he slow. Not just skating but you could almost see him thinking in slow motion. Big without any grit and no noticeable skills to be seen. If this guy can become an Andrew Alberts it will be a raging success. Now watch him go prove me wrong... But man... just man... I would take Mackenze Stewart over him. Not exaggerating.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
That's crazy

Disagree. The 3 is generally nice to drive. The Hope to Princeton stretch is a bit of a drain, but driving the 3 east of Princeton to Osoyoos is absolutely lovely highway driving. Like any other highway, it's only a problem if there's a major accident or major construction. The Coquihalla is nice and efficient, but I'd avoid the Coq connector unless it was the middle of summer and I had something other than a 4-cylinder engine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad