Post-Game Talk: Canucks YoungStars in Penticton (Canucks finish 1-1-1)

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Has anyone heard any dates or rumours about the tournament this year. I want to go and would like to book a room before it is too late. Have not been able to find any information at all regarding this years event. My guess is September 15~18 as they are the dates that most closely match previous years. Wondering if I should just book a room and take a chance. Worst case I spend the weekend travelling the Okanagan. Anyone else planning to go this year?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Has anyone heard any dates or rumours about the tournament this year. I want to go and would like to book a room before it is too late. Have not been able to find any information at all regarding this years event. My guess is September 15~18 as they are the dates that most closely match previous years. Wondering if I should just book a room and take a chance. Worst case I spend the weekend travelling the Okanagan. Anyone else planning to go this year?

Easy tiger..
I think you should be ok for few weeks still. :laugh:

But this could be an early start for the Youngstars thread.. who to expect and not expect to play.

Won't be playing

Guys with over one year of pro hockey
Goldobin
Virtanen
McEneny
Subban

Will likely be playing

Joulevi
McEwen
Brisebois
Chatfield
Demko
Gartieg
Jasek
Carcone
Milano
Dalhen (season in Sweden may have started so might interfere)
Candella
Stukel
Zhukenov (if not playing in Russia)
LaPlante
MacKenzie
[Boeser]

Also well could include Olsen, Neill and Abols as unsigned prospects. Other invitees like Moynihan will be on the roster as well.

Also you have the players they draft this year

NCAA guys like Gaudette and Lockwood are stupidly not allowed to play.

Roster will be no better than ok.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Last year rooms were fully booked less than a week after the dates were released. Well, for the places I wished to stay anyway. Been trying to get to this tournament for 3 years now. Determined to make sure I get there this year. For whatever reason the Canucks always have such crappy coverage of the event.

That said. This could end up being a very good year for prospects. Would love to see Goldobin and Virtanen but I have my doubts. I think it would be a good idea to send Virtanen though. Make sure the fitness is there from day 1. Hopefully give him some early confidence heading into main camp. How quick our rebuild goes hinges greatly on Virtanen becoming a NHL player. Should be a good group overall along with whomever we get this upcoming draft.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Last year rooms were fully booked less than a week after the dates were released. Well, for the places I wished to stay anyway. Been trying to get to this tournament for 3 years now. Determined to make sure I get there this year. For whatever reason the Canucks always have such crappy coverage of the event.

That said. This could end up being a very good year for prospects. Would love to see Goldobin and Virtanen but I have my doubts. I think it would be a good idea to send Virtanen though. Make sure the fitness is there from day 1. Hopefully give him some early confidence heading into main camp. How quick our rebuild goes hinges greatly on Virtanen becoming a NHL player. Should be a good group overall along with whomever we get this upcoming draft.

Coverage has been bad but uhh... i don't think they release the information until close to/on/after the NHL draft? I advice to keep a close eye on it when its closer to the NHL draft (or google alert).

Manos37

Jun 11, 2017
I read somewhere that they were talking about moving the tournament around. However, hotel room bookings are refundable.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I read somewhere that they were talking about moving the tournament around. However, hotel room bookings are refundable.

IIRC, this was Brian Burke's idea. He was loudly espousing last year how they should move the tournament closer to each of the teams' home locales on a rotational basis (I believe he suggested Red Deer as a host in Alberta).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Canucks host 7th Annual YoungStars Tournament in Penticton

Some good news, for a change;

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/ca...ung-stars-classic-in-penticton-bc/c-290063346

Vancouver, BC - The Vancouver Canucks announced today that they will host the 2017 Young Stars Classic for the seventh year at the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton, B.C., running from Friday, September 8th to Monday, September 11th. The four-team tournament will feature prospects from the Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets. Ticket packages for the tournament will go on sale on July 7th at 10:00 AM.

New to the 2017 Young Stars Classic, the "Back to School" tournament package will be available for fans, which includes access to all six games of the tournament and a commemorative Young Stars Herschel backpack. The Premium VIP tournament package includes a commemorative Young Stars Herschel backpack, ice level premium seating area and food offerings. The "Back to School" tournament package will be available for $125 while the Premium VIP tournament package will be available for $300. A 2017 Young Stars Classic tournament package, with access to all six games and a $10 SOEC food & beverage voucher, will also be available at $75. For full details on what each package will contain, please visit SOEC.ca.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
Wasn't Brian Burke trying to get the tournament moved to Red Deer. Glad it's back in Penticton as it's a hell of a lot nicer than Red

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I love going to this thing as I am from Kelowna. Always a good time, usually you will run into a bunch of the management at the pubs after the games. Pretty fun.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Have my room booked and now waiting for tickets to go on sale. After years of trying I am finally getting to go. Would Pettersson be there this year? Boeser?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Pettersson has contract with a team in the SHL for the coming season, but will he be at the Prospects Tournament?.....would be great to see him working with Dahlin on his line against some of the other prospects.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I know Pettersson has contract with a team in the SHL for the coming season, but will he be at the Prospects Tournament?.....would be great to see him working with Dahlin on his line against some of the other prospects.

No, Benning was quoted as saying that Pettersson's SHL season will have started by then.

Dahlen is a possibility but it depends on where he decides to play this year: he has the option of Utica or Sweden. If he goes Utica, I think he'd be here.

Lind, DiPietro, Gadjovich, and Brassard should all be at this event. I believe Palmu is committed to play in Finland next year, so I'm not sure if he'd be available for this. Also not sure about Gunnarsson. Rathbone is in the collegiate system, so he's out.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Wasn't Brian Burke trying to get the tournament moved to Red Deer. Glad it's back in Penticton as it's a hell of a lot nicer than Red

I don't understand the whole thing with the tie. Is that a good luck thing for him now? I mean he just drapes it around his neck all the time. Why? He just looks like a mess all the time. It's a shame to see what has happened to him.

Add to all this, he seems more ornery than ever. I hope the dude is doing ok.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
I don't understand the whole thing with the tie. Is that a good luck thing for him now? I mean he just drapes it around his neck all the time. Why? He just looks like a mess all the time. It's a shame to see what has happened to him.

Add to all this, he seems more ornery than ever. I hope the dude is doing ok.

Lol he looks like Nick Nolte with the hair and the sloppy outfits. The whole thing with moving the tournament to Red Deer is an attempt by a bitter , fat man who hates the Canucks and the province for getting fired in 2004. Red Deer is a dump and really there's no reason to yank it out of Penticton other than spite. It's been a huge success there and there is a ton of things to do for the fans and the teams unlike Red Deer.

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
Lol he looks like Nick Nolte with the hair and the sloppy outfits. The whole thing with moving the tournament to Red Deer is an attempt by a bitter , fat man who hates the Canucks and the province for getting fired in 2004. Red Deer is a dump and really there's no reason to yank it out of Penticton other than spite. It's been a huge success there and there is a ton of things to do for the fans and the teams unlike Red Deer.

Or he wants to move it closer to his city so his fans can attend.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
Or he wants to move it closer to his city so his fans can attend.

Quite a few fans make the trip from Alberta. I've been a few times and they always seem to be enjoying themselves. Maybe the Oilers can get in on it and the Jets too. They can rotate it up to Fort Mac and Brandon.

edmontonfan59

Nov 9, 2009
Penticton will be busy that weekend as there is a Jazz Festival on Friday and Saturday so hotels will be full.
Any guesses on roster and invites?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i expect Yamamoto to have a good showing at this as far as other teams are concerned. Thia tourney always favours the fast high skill smaller guys when systems aren't really in place.

a lot easier to build our lineup if Gaudette and Petterson were here for this. :(

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
...holy ****. If it is that weekend, it's when my wife and I are in Penticton visiting my uncle. WHOO-HOO!! Get to see the youngstars, get a free room to do it, and get some legit topics of conversation that don't involve politics so my wife and uncle are less likely to kill each other!

Haven't been this glad to click on a thread in here for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad