Canucks waive D Travis Hamonic (All Hamonic Discussion)

Do you want Hamonic to Opt Out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Simple question since the deadline to opt out is Friday. For the purpose of this thread, retirement is not an option since I assume that everyone would prefer that he retire rather than opt out. For clarity's sake, if Hamonic decides to opt out, the Canucks can either roll the contract over to next year or remove this year from his contract. I assume that if Hamonic opts out, the Canucks will remove this year from the contract. I assume that the Canucks cannot terminate his contract.

Pro
If Hamonic opts out, the Canucks get $3M in cap space this year which gives the team wiggle room to extend Petey and Hughes long term. Hamonic doesn't really move the needle anyways and his heart might not be fully into it. I don't doubt that Hamonic would be a professional if he decides to play this season but he's not good enough to play well if his heart and mind are elsewhere. With the addition of Poolman and Schenn, do we really need another defensive Dman who isn't exactly a bonafide top 4 Dman? Maybe one of our left side Dman can move over to the right side. There's also the possibility that Hamonic might simply retire if he opts out this year.

Con
If Hamonic opts out, the Canucks would be without a right side defenseman. It's a bit difficult to find a capable replacement without giving up an asset or taking on a bad contract at this point. Hamonic may not move the needle, but he does provide some depth. Absent further decline, he is a legitimate NHL defenseman who might be the best option to play top 4 minutes alongside Hughes. If Poolman is playing with OEL, you're looking at... ? to play with Hughes? Additionally, if Hamonic skips the year and then comes back, he basically tanks his value and the team will be paying $3M for a 32 year old who has missed a full year of hockey.

My take?
I honestly don't know. At this point, I think retirement is the best option but between Hamonic opting out and not opting out... maybe it's best to just move on. Deal with things later if Hamonic decides to come back next year. Try Hughes or Rathbone on the right side and go with it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If he opts out now there's time to maneuver. If he decides a few weeks from now that he's made the wrong call and wants to sit out then, it puts the team in a real spot.

Ultimately he has to do what he thinks is right for him and his family and what decision he can live with.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
We won't find what he provides for 3 mill a season. His contract is pretty good and it fills a big need.

As a team we need him to stay

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It's a really unfortunate situation. Unfortunate for us in that we are in dire need of RHD that can absorb tough minutes, especially someone not named Tyler Myers to pair with QH. For Hamonic who, by all accounts, is a stand up guy, it's unfortunate that mistrust has led to an unnecessary stand-off that could prematurely end his career.

Ironically, it appears someone like him who has gone through COVID and then receives the vaccine are maximally protected from breakthrough infections via delta variant (link). It would actually be the best way for him to protect his immune-compromised child.

As it currently stands, the best option is to give it until Friday and hope that he comes around. Nothing like a deadline to force a resolution. The extra few days won't impact whatever leftovers are or aren't available. And something might turn up through the waiver wire as teams finalize their rosters.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He fills a big need on the RHS and his contract seemed like it would turn out to be good value. I would want him back and playing.

There's very little room to maneuver now and even less later.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I would prefer if he plays, or retires, or we can trade him to a USA market.

An opt out is NOT what we want as it puts us in a bad situation next year. In example if we sign / trade for a replacement making 3mil per year that is signed beyond this year, how are we going to accommodate both contracts?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
No. Prior to the OEL trade I would have said yes. But they spent a bunch of assets on that trade to be good this year. Now that that's water under the bridge they should actually try to win. Hamonic is currently their best option for a RHD.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Really hope he's back. Absolutely not.

If he plays the full year he will be a very important and valuable player for us

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I wanted some time to think about this. If I was asked this before camp I would have said we need him, our d looks terrible.

now I don’t think so. He won’t have a camp is going to come in rusty and out of shape. We saw what that looked like last year when he started terrible. Now he may also be less into it and be distracted. None of this adds to a player I think will add to what this team needs.

We still desperately need someone who can play defence, I just don’t think that’s him anymore.

Reactions: alternate

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
It's a really unfortunate situation. Unfortunate for us in that we are in dire need of RHD that can absorb tough minutes, especially someone not named Tyler Myers to pair with QH. For Hamonic who, by all accounts, is a stand up guy, it's unfortunate that mistrust has led to an unnecessary stand-off that could prematurely end his career.

Ironically, it appears someone like him who has gone through COVID and then receives the vaccine are maximally protected from breakthrough infections via delta variant (link). It would actually be the best way for him to protect his immune-compromised child.

As it currently stands, the best option is to give it until Friday and hope that he comes around. Nothing like a deadline to force a resolution. The extra few days won't impact whatever leftovers are or aren't available. And something might turn up through the waiver wire as teams finalize their rosters.

For those in the back: you can still transmit even after being vaccinated. Therein lies the crux for Hamonic.

Reactions: Cypruss

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Thats a lot of $ to walk away from (plus a big signing bonus next year)...takes guts to do that.

Not only that, he should have made his declaration (that he might not play) before free agency ever began. And it's Benning's job to suss these things out. There were plenty of other options at and before free agency and the ED.

That said, I'll wait until more information comes out. Crappy situation for fans.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not only that, he should have made his declaration (that he might not play) before free agency ever began. And it's Benning's job to suss these things out. There were plenty of other options at and before free agency and the ED.

That said, I'll wait until more information comes out. Crappy situation for fans.
After his contract was signed, the league (and players association) cracked down on unvaccinated players (making them liable)..The Canucks players and organization look to be fiercely pro vac.....and rightly so, after last season.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If he opts out this season, I'm sure the club will move on from him completely

Canucks would be given choice to void this season's contract, but not next year's 3MM. Or they can tack a year onto the end of the deal so that next year he's 3MM and the following season is 3MM (would be bizarre to do the latter).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
There's an opt out deadline this Friday, so at the very least we won't be left flailing in the wind.

I think that Hamonic is the type of guy who'll do what he thinks is right, regardless of deadlines. As in, if he decided to opt in, and then sometime down the line changed his mind he would sit out regardless of penalties.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think that Hamonic is the type of guy who'll do what he thinks is right, regardless of deadlines. As in, if he decided to opt in, and then sometime down the line changed his mind he would sit out regardless of penalties.

Sounds good to me, failure to report is grounds for contract termination (instead of just voiding 1 of 2 years).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad