Canucks' Training Camp Thread

HFCanucks

Jan 7, 2013
My take on day 3.
Group B (9:00-9:45)
Corrado-*Another strong practice. *Continues to show that he is the best player in the group. Yesterday I mentioned that his shot looked average, *but another look has me convinced its better than average.*
Sweatt-*Had a good practice again. Does everything well. Only fault might be his lack of fight in 1 on 1 battles.
Rodin-*Seemed to skate with less intensity today. Didn't stand out. Although his wrist shot is wicked. Good even by nhl standards.
Connauton-*Pretty solid practice. Smooth skater with a good shot. Could benefit from quicker feet.
Anderson/Joslin-*Better practices. *Joslin still looks slow.Archibald-*Looked ok but needs improvement. Sweatt looked better in just about all areas.
Cannata-*Didn't look nearly as sharp this morning. Was beat by a lot of shooters coming straight in. Shows good positioning but really highlights how good Schneider is.*

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Schroeder better make the team. I am so sick of how we just bury our prospects and not give them a chance. I also want to get Schroeder as far away from Scott Arneil as possible.

When have we done this? The Canucks are in a position to not rush prospects, but rather allow them to develop fully, or over-ripen if you will. Normally this is not a problem for the development of prospects.

I can't think of a prospect that deserved a call-up and never ended up getting one. Schroeder is a 5-8 scorer and has scored at a .42 PPG clip at the AHL level, that's not exactly beating down the doors to the NHL...

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Thanks for the updates, HFCanucks! Nice to hear Corrado is doing so well; a little bit of me hopes he makes the team just to laugh at Spott for leaving him off the WJC roster.

StringerBell

I know what you're getting at for sure, but I worry it'll just stunt his offensive growth. His playmaking is really only second to the Sedins on this team, and I just wonder how many passes he's going to see Lappy and Weise flub before he gives up.

If he was showing good progress in his development down in Chicago I would be inclined to agree, but I think he needs to play against NHL quality competition to really further his development at this point. So agree to disagree I suppose.

arsmaster*

What's wrong with Raymond and Kassian? Honestly, if he deserves it then he'll make it. If he doesn't then he'll go back to the AHL and have to work harder.

Also, claiming that AV doesn't like prospects is such ********. We're loaded with guys he grew into the players they are today.

I hate Arniel and what he's doing at the farm and I'm not AV's biggest fan, but I do know that AV will pick the guy that plays the best. If that's not Schroeder then he has no one to blame but himself.

We've discussed and agreed about this before, but how then how do we explain Schroeder not making the team out of camp last year and Hodgson making it?

We aren't the only ones who thought Schroeder looked better, yet Hodgson got the assignment. Other factors contributed, but I'm not about to say with confidence that AV takes the players who earn it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
When have we done this? The Canucks are in a position to not rush prospects, but rather allow them to develop fully, or over-ripen if you will. Normally this is not a problem for the development of prospects.

I can't think of a prospect that deserved a call-up and never ended up getting one. Schroeder is a 5-8 scorer and has scored at a .42 PPG clip at the AHL level, that's not exactly beating down the doors to the NHL...

Quite often actually. I think Hodgson should have been given more of a shot to make the team before he finally did. Ditto with Schroeder. These were two highly touted prospects going into, and coming out of their drafts, yet we saw fit to hamper their development by either sending them back to juniors, or burying them in the AHL for several years.

Also I have very little respect for our minor league system in terms of their ability to produce offensive players.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Kassian is out again today? I thought it was a typo since Hamhuis wasn't on the list as well can we get an update on that? Thanks!

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Watching Garrison and Edler form chemistry at training camp is amazing. I think they'll be a top D-pair. Garrison is like a fine wine, only improves with age.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
He looks handicapped on the right, but it's a better pairing than *shudder* Bieksa and Edler. I think it'll work.

Does he look somewhat comfortable on the right side in the offensive zone? If so, then I think Garrison can cover for Edler in the D-zone.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I expect quite a bit from Schroeder. Hope he pulls through and has a breakthrough year in the nhl.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I expect quite a bit from Schroeder. Hope he pulls through and has a breakthrough year in the nhl.

If Booth is out for any length of time, we could see both him and Ebbett on the roster. Sucks for Booth, but increases Schroeder's chances of getting enough ice-time to make some noise.

Vandermeer skated with the first group this morning. D-Pairs are the same as yesterday, to wit;

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts - Barker

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Booth is out for any length of time, we could see both him and Ebbett on the roster. Sucks for Booth, but increases Schroeder's chances of getting enough ice-time to make some noise.

Vandermeer skated with the first group this morning. D-Pairs are the same as yesterday, to wit;

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts - Barker

Do you realize how bad our forward group would look?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Ebbett-Malhotra-Weise

ouch. That looks awfully close to what the Calgary Flames have put out in recent seasons.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Do you realize how bad our forward group would look?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Ebbett-Malhotra-Weise

ouch. That looks awfully close to what the Calgary Flames have put out in recent seasons.

Well, having two top-six forwards injured will do that. Certainly not pretty, but it'll be a big opportunity for Schroeder and Kassian. And Raymond, come to think of it - sure would be a nice time for him to show some semblance of returning to form.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well, having two top-six forwards injured will do that. Certainly not pretty, but it'll be a big opportunity for Schroeder and Kassian. And Raymond, come to think of it - sure would be a nice time for him to show some semblance of returning to form.

If Schroeder, Kassian, Raymond and Ebbett don't step up we are in serious trouble.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Quite often actually. I think Hodgson should have been given more of a shot to make the team before he finally did. Ditto with Schroeder. These were two highly touted prospects going into, and coming out of their drafts, yet we saw fit to hamper their development by either sending them back to juniors, or burying them in the AHL for several years.

Also I have very little respect for our minor league system in terms of their ability to produce offensive players.

After Hodgson's back debacle, he played exactly 52 games at the AHL level (scoring 30 points) while his parent club fought for a President's Trophy. He was 20 years old. That is not unheard of in any way, shape or form. If anything they caved to Cody and as his demands grew, he found his way to Buffalo.

As I said with Schroeder, this is a tiny kid that isn't going to to do anything at the NHL level if he can't score, and until he proved that he can do it at the AHL level (jury is still out) there was no reason to call him up to one of the top team's in the NHL.

The fact of the matter is the Canucks have not had prospects good enough to crack the roster the last several years. Not that Vigneault doesn't like youngsters or the Canucks are too patient, there simply hasn't been anyone that has forced their way on this team due to their performance.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
The fact of the matter is the Canucks have not had prospects good enough to crack the roster the last several years. Not that Vigneault doesn't like youngsters or the Canucks are too patient, there simply hasn't been anyone that has forced their way on this team due to their performance.

i

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If Schroeder, Kassian, Raymond and Ebbett don't step up we are in serious trouble.

Agreed.

I wouldn't forget the blueline, either - they'll be counted on as a big source of offense. In particular, I would be looking at Ballard to increase his output, and for Garrison to be a good contributor.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
We've discussed and agreed about this before, but how then how do we explain Schroeder not making the team out of camp last year and Hodgson making it?

We aren't the only ones who thought Schroeder looked better, yet Hodgson got the assignment. Other factors contributed, but I'm not about to say with confidence that AV takes the players who earn it.

I think there were other factors at play there. I think demoting Hodgson would've risked souring the relationship completely to the point where they couldn't get much in a trade for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad