Canucks' Training Camp Thread

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Ugh. People are honestly counting on Volpatti as some necessary physical element of our fourth line? Gross.

The guy's awful, IMO.
not sure why this guy is such a lock on the team. we need to stop having middleweights with zero hockey sense back there.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
not sure about the redden over barker thing... they are the same level at this point of their careers with the difference being that redden is 35 and cam barker is 26.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
not sure why this guy is such a lock on the team. we need to stop having middleweights with zero hockey sense back there.
I don't think he is much of a lock, personally-- I fully expect him to be a regular healthy scratch/probably get sent down at most after a few games where he actually plays.

The guy is the perfect example of a guy without the tools to even be a competent 4th line NHLer who busts his *** off to do everything the coach wants him to do. AV might like him for the example that he sets, but I could not be more confident that he's not going to work out/last, even just in that plug role.

Besides, he'll get pushed out of the lineup when Kesler/Booth comes back anyways. (unless AV's completely mad)

It's more just the fans/that one guy who went "And who else would you have providing physicality on the 4th line!? Unbelievable!" that I'm taking exception to.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I don't think he is much of a lock, personally-- I fully expect him to be a regular healthy scratch/probably get sent down at most after a few games where he actually plays.

The guy is the perfect example of a guy without the tools to even be a competent 4th line NHLer who busts his *** off to do everything the coach wants him to do. AV might like him for the example that he sets, but I could not be more confident that he's not going to work out/last, even just in that plug role.

I think Vandermeer and Volpatti will rotate a bit on that wing for the first little while, and it will be up to one of them to outperform the other. There aren't really that many teams with anyone too big and scary in the west, but I think Vandermeer will probably draw in to match up with guys like Jackman in Calgary, Bissonnette in Phoenix, or St Louis with Reaves. They're the kinda guys who like to run around and always beat the piss out of our fighters.

I'm sure Weise's spot is now secure. I think he'll change a lot of opinions this year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think Vandermeer and Volpatti will rotate a bit on that wing for the first little while, and it will be up to one of them to outperform the other. There aren't really that many teams with anyone too big and scary in the west, but I think Vandermeer will probably draw in to match up with guys like Jackman in Calgary, Bissonnette in Phoenix, or St Louis with Reaves. They're the kinda guys who like to run around and always beat the piss out of our fighters.

I'm sure Weise's spot is now secure. I think he'll change a lot of opinions this year.
I personally believe in beat-them-on-the-scoreboard, UNLESS you can inject that toughness into our top-9/core players. You're going to be ****ed if teams like the Kings/Bruins out-tough you, but making sure a Volpatti/Vandermeer is normally in the lineup isn't going to remotely change that, and will hurt more than help, IMO.

I'll take my chances with icing zero tough-guys and filling the bottom six with guys like Pinizotto, Weise, and Kassian, personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad